Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / DBPro to AGK. Some questions.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 16:53 Edited at: 10th Feb 2013 17:09
Hi, guys. I'm looking to go cross platform with my current project. I've begun coding a basic engine, but before I go too far, I want to know a few things about AGK.

1. How hard is it to take what I've coded in DBPro into AppGameKit?

2. Does it support the extensions from DBPro? DarkPhysics, DarkAI, DarkLights, etc.

3. How well does it port to Mac OS? Any errors, side effects, sluggishness, twittery or glitchy graphics or game play?

Thanks in advance,
-NSM

[EDIT] Ahem. Nevermind, I just found the FAQ. It's 2D only? That sucks... Well, the questions still remain, as there is work on the 3D aspect to it.

Formerly: Amo Deus Man
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 17:13
v1088 beta is 3D, but not everything that you have in DBPro is implemented yet. It is not the official release yet because they are still working some things out.

1. You can see the commands by looking at the help page and determine how similar they are to DBPro (I've forgotten what that version of Basic looks like) (The 3D related commands are not yet on the public help page, you need to install v1088 to see the help for that).

2. No, they don't have those extensions yet.

3. I've had no problems with my apps working the same on Mac, Windows, iOS and Android.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Non Sequitur M
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 17:45
Thank you, Ancient Lady.

1. Yes, the commands look VERY similar. Like, it won't take too long to transfer and adjust.

2. That sucks. Is there any word on when they might be implemented, if they in fact are even looking at it?

3. That's good to hear. My team and I really want to maximize profits off our current project with a full Windows and Mac release. Maybe on Steam.

Also, a couple more things:
Quote: "The final step is to submit your binary files to the various app stores. For Windows and MeeGo, you submit your app to the Intel AppUp store certified with a free Comodo certificate from Intel. For iOS and Mac, you will code sign your app with your personal developer certificate and submit directly to the App Store/Mac Store. For Samsung Bada, you will download a manifest and associate it with your final binary before final submission to the Samsung Apps store."

This... This scares me. Lol. Since we want to release a Windows and Mac version on Steam, I am able to do that with AppGameKit, right? It's not limited to AppUp/Mac Store?

Also, we have, penned and planned, an entire FPS with a massive multiplayer side to the game. When 3D is fully implemented, is it the kind of thing that could handle full on 3D, shaders, massive levels, tons of players(we have up to 16v16 gametypes planned), and many other features, or does the 'app' in AppGameKit mean it's only capable of producing things like Fruit Ninja, and games with simple 3D? What I mean is, it's planned for PC and Mac, not iOS and Android.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 18:24 Edited at: 10th Feb 2013 18:24
Just to clarify, 3D is still 'under maintenance' and as stated by either Lee or Paul ( I don't remember ) advanced 3D is yet to come. (Meshes skinning, I believe some kind of memblocks for meshes, and so on). And yes, AppGameKit is still being developed.

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
Motion Struct blog
Non Sequitur M
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 19:09
I know as much, kamac. I'm asking what they're gearing the 3D functions toward in the long run. Simple, advanced, or ridiculous()?

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 19:28
I believe that they will add atleast a few more 3D commands that will let AppGameKit users do all the rest of fun things.

Summing it up, I bet you'll be able to create all sorts of cools stuff.
That'd be just odd for TGC to stop AGK's 3D development at it's current stage. As far as I know, there are no reasons for that.

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
Motion Struct blog
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 20:02
Quote: "release a Windows and Mac version on Steam"

I don't know if this is possible with AGK. But I am not the definitive authority on this by any means.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
From what I have seen of the 3D performance of AppGameKit, what you are planning sounds a little ambitious. At the moment DB Pro is way superior for 3D work than AppGameKit, being both faster and having more commands/plugins etc. I wouldn't use AppGameKit for PC only development to be honest. Of course once it is complete it may be a different story, and also if you did use AppGameKit, you could potentially target Mac owners as well, which while not being a massive gaming base, is still another platform which is equally capable of running complex games.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2013 16:33
You don't have to release to AppUp, it will run directly on Windows.
If Steam requires additional code embedded in your App, then you won't be able to do this in AppGameKit Tier 1 (unless it is only in the installer).

DBP => AppGameKit Learning curve is minimal. Within a couple of hours, you'll be guessing the command names accurately.

I actually like that AppGameKit is currently more simplistic. It's good to code your own solutions and not rely on functions that do everything for you. You can't do 3D physics this way, but the simpler stuff is easily coded.

One of the big selling points over DB is text. You no longer have to spent more time on menus and high score tables than the actual game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 03:25:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 03:25:09