Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / FPSC-2-AGK 3D - Convert FPSC Levels to AGK

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 01:18 Edited at: 15th Mar 2013 01:33

Hi All!

I have recently been busy working on a program that will allow you to easily convert any level you create in FPSC into a format that is compatible with AGK.

Features:

- Convert Level into OBJ, X or DBO
- Levels fully lightmapped
- Generate Code to load and use level (with built in timer system)
- Generate Project Files
- Exports Textures
- Reduce texture quality for better performance

And More...

You can see an video I made a few weeks ago of the WW2 level converted using FPSC-2-AGK and running on a device.

You can get it now from here: http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2332

I hope you like it!

Wizzkid

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 07:58
Very Nice, wish I had the chance to beta test this for you, but I may not have the time to commit to this fully as much as I would prefer to, so I shall just see where this goes Good luck!

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 10:17
If it is as you state that you have an framerate almost at 60 fps on an mobile device with an fpsc level

Do i really belive alot of people will love you for that
Must have bin some clever programing behinde it as tgc own theather sample that is small runs at 30 fps on my computer and extremely slow on mobiles.

Have you written your own culling system as agk 3ds object off screen is broken and dont cull the objects as it should ?

I created 650 planes in an test map for an basic dungeon engine and it dropped from 600 fps to 99.
And when i started to test with set object visible so did i get more then the double in framerate.

So agk seams to keep all objects in memory with all its data even if they are off screen or camera distance.

If you include an test apk of the map you converted so will alot of people test it for you for free.

I have a bunch of devices i could test it on
But i cant sign up to be a beta tester as iam back to hospital soon.
cheers.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 10:20
Simply awesome. This is a great addition to the AppGameKit toolset. Nice work Wizzkid. I think an AppGameKit toolmaker badge is well deserved here

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 11:28
This is potentially a superb tool. Sales of FPSC should rocket. Bringing life to it with NPCs etc will be interesting! Personally, I don't like games where you shoot people, but the ability easily to create a 3D "world" has unlimited possibilities.

If I were you I would contact TGC immediately with a view to having them sell your program!

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 11:51
There have been quite a number of FPSC games not based on killing people. A lot of puzzle solving games and of course "Slenderman" have been made among others such as RPG. A tool like this will make FPSC a much more useful tool for all of us.

I look forward to trying this out myself, I would not have gotten into DBPro or AppGameKit if I hadn't downloaded FPSC one Boxing Day many years ago... I still have a version installed now

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 12:48 Edited at: 12th Feb 2013 12:50
Thanks for all the support and encouraging comments! I haven't actually written a culling system for it, but this was something I have thought about and may attempt at some point. I haven't tested it on many devices (hence why I'm asking for beta testers) but like I said on my video I was getting almost 60fps (usually 56/57 fps) with a level like this. I have however written a timer system for movement so performance on lower powered devices should not affect gameplay too much!

I have been taking to TGC for the last week or two, and they will be selling this program through their site, but I need to have the program thoroughly tested before its release as I want it to be as stable and reliable as possible!

I may upload a test game later for anyone to test !

Thanks
Wizzkid

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 13:02
I can test on iPad, iPod and two Android devices

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 13:41
That would be great Baxslash! I will email you a link now !

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 15:17 Edited at: 12th Feb 2013 15:18
Quote: "I haven't actually written a culling system for it, but this was something I have thought about and may attempt at some point."

You could test an simple version with an box mesh that is not visible in front of the camera view.
And all meshes that colides with the box gets set to visible and the rest do you hide with the same command.

I got an insane framerate in my simple dungeon engine when i made my own like this.
Gets very poor framerate without on 650 planes the level is built on.

This image aint the best show of the large differrence but i think you get the picture

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 15:44
Ah!! Very clever indeed! And quite simple too, thanks for the suggestion I will have a go at implementing this tonight, hopefully this will increase performance even further, as you seem to be getting a significant increase like you said! Thanks for the advice!

Also there are still a few beta tester spaces free, so if anyone would like to even to just test on a pc let me know !

Thanks
Wizzkid

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 15:52
I can test on two android devices too.

Well done, good work!

I live for video games! (And beers, and football, and cars!)
See what I live for here: [url]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/url]
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks really nice, I have FPSC, so could probably test it out for you. I don't think it is installed at the moment, but easy enough to fix that! I haven't been impressed with the 3D so far on AppGameKit, but this looks a bit more like it.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 16:40
Thanks for the link Wizzkid... I'll test it ASAP

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 17:14
Quote: "Ah!! Very clever indeed! And quite simple too, thanks for the suggestion I will have a go at implementing this tonight, hopefully this will increase performance even further, as you seem to be getting a significant increase like you said! Thanks for the advice!"

I have also noticed that if you mix internal shaders and custom ones on various objects on screen give weird framerate issues.

So try to either use only custom shaders or only internal.

But this could also be my tired head
The pills i got makes me slow in the head right now.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 12:07
Made an pretty cool discovery today
So could you test if you get an speed increase on your mobile with this?

This code part should be at the top of your pixel shader.

Now do you wonder wath this code does ?
It simply first checks if the device is an mobile device.
then does it check if the device supports high precicion calculations or not.
And if it dosent so does it set it to medium precision.
I only tested this on some parts of my segments on an test map and i got an increase in 10 fps by doing this.

Luca91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 13:23
This is probably the best thing I viewed on AppGameKit

Well done WizzKid

Quote: "I have been taking to TGC for the last week or two, and they will be selling this program through their site, but I need to have the program thoroughly tested before its release as I want it to be as stable and reliable as possible!"

So it will be a commercial product ? how much will it cost ?

PS: It's time to buy FPSC Bonanza

During The Day I'm A Common University Student ...
During The Night I Become A SuperHero And I Write Video Games!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 13:24 Edited at: 15th Feb 2013 13:24
EDIT: Wrong thread!

DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 16:07
@Wizzkid Hi I sent you a e mail as you requested. I would be glad to do some testing. It all looks verry good.

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
AGK Community Tester
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 20:21
Hi all,

Been busy the last few days so haven't had much time to reply. Hi Dennis sent you an email earlier with a link to test.

That is all the positions as beta testers filled ! Thanks to everyone who has offered to help! And I look forward to getting feedback from the testers. So far the word is that the program is stable and working well but we will see if anything comes up in the next day or two.

@Luca91 - thank you ! It will be a commercial program costing £15 (unless something changes)

@Cliff - Hi, that's good to know, I will add this to my program, writing shaders are not something I have an awful lot of experience with so this could be really helpful, I will see if this improves performance!

Also I tried to add the culling system you mentioned, but AGK's collision commands are not the best in their present state. I couldn't find a way to loop through to get all the object ids that had collided, just the first collision detected. Have you any ideas? I may be doing something simple wrong, I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it.

Thanks
Wizzkid

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2013 00:31
Quote: "Also I tried to add the culling system you mentioned, but AGK's collision commands are not the best in their present state. I couldn't find a way to loop through to get all the object ids that had collided, just the first collision detected. Have you any ideas? I may be doing something simple wrong, I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it."

I ended up with using sprites for my culling system

Its very simple as you only use the 3d aspects x and z coords where z is translated to 2d y coords.

Now do you loop thru the 3d segments and place a invisible sprite on screen with the segments x and z cords.

The tricky part where the sprite used for the cameras view field as it is long and not so wide.
The size is something you will have to experiment with.
The tricky part whas the problem of getting the offset and rotation of the sprite to be the same as the camera.

this is how i got the correct angle setspriteangle(Playerzone,-getcameraangley(1))
as you se i use a negative value!

This is my sprite it self that is the camera view.
i=createsprite(0)
setspritesize(i,18.0,15.0)
setspriteoffset(i,9.0,0.0)
setspritevisible(i,0)

The size of it depends on that i used a scale of 4 pixels on the culling system.

I hope this helps as iam going to be away soon for almost a week and cant help much more during that time

DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2013 00:44 Edited at: 18th Feb 2013 00:52
Here is a test map that I did and ran it on AppGameKit and broadcast it to a Acer 500 and a Nexus7 also a Samsung Proclaim. I have included a Windows demo. I will have a apk up shortly. So you can check it out.

I found this app very ease to use but there appears to be some problem with textures for segments on the floor. Whether it is the app or AppGameKit I am not sure.[img][/img]

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
AGK Community Tester

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2013 01:16
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for posting the level. I see what you mean, there seems to be some distortion on the textures in the distance (at least thats the issue im seeing). I don't think that this is to do with the FPSC-2-AGK program, it seems to be a problem with the way AppGameKit is displaying them.

@Cliff - Ah I see now, using sprites makes more sense, and very clever , i wouldnt have thought of that. I will have a look at this over the coming days. Thanks for the advice, i appreciate the help!

Thanks
Wizzkid

DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2013 20:24 Edited at: 15th Mar 2013 14:03
I thought I would share this. I have been trying deferent things with FPSC 2 AGK. So this is what I did I went into Milk Shape and made a box and scaled it to about 15 by 15 segments. Then I textured it as a skybox . I made a map in FPSC 15 by 15 and sat the box just above the segments so the bottom of the skybox textures would show. I then add some trees that I made from Tree Magic. I had to export them into Milk Shape. I then deleted the leaf group of the tree so it looks like a dead tree. One thing that I found that make things a little easier when using FPSC 2 AppGameKit put your map on level 0. I found it easer setting up your camera settings or if you what to add a model. As you can see I did not pay too much attention to the seams on the skybox. The video was made in AGK.

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
AGK Community Tester
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2013 21:40
This might be worth a bump. However, I do have a question.

After converting the basic level that has segments and static entities, where does one go from there?

How do we make characters that can fit into the newly created universe? I'm assuming they will be sprite characters. I notice the camera moves by controls on the app device. Does this mean one can use either a third person perspective or a first person perspective? If first person, is there any way to show the player with a weapon? I have AppGameKit but I have as yet attempted to create a game with it. I am still busy with finishing a game with FPSC. However, if I can use more short cuts in creating a game in AppGameKit I can at least get busy checking it out.

I see one of the major obstacles is getting other characters or entities into the area that the FPSC level is in. I had this problem with DBPro and gave up. I could never figure out where my FPSC "DBO" level was residing in that huge area of 3D space that is available to it. I do realize that this is still 2D but that still begs the question of how to place other objects into the newly created universe that is actually an OBJ.

So for me, in order to invest in this application I need to know how easy it will be to go from there.

I'm addicted to programming and coffee!
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2013 22:16
We purchased this application a couple months back and we are very pleased with it. Since we have already sold and made good money with projects developed in FPSC for our clients, they were even more happy to hear we could provide the end product on mobile devices as well as PC. This has opened a few more doors for us.

We just wanted to say thank you for all the work put into this. It is greatly appreciated, and well worth the purchase.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "How do we make characters that can fit into the newly created universe? I'm assuming they will be sprite characters."

AGK 108 beta (soon to be officially released as an update) supports a variety of 3D commands for manipulating 3D objects and cameras. I don't own FPSC-2-AGK but it exports a 3D mesh, so the characters etc. that you would import would also be 3D (not sprites). However, animations are not yet supported in 3D by AppGameKit but are reportedly being worked on for the next update, which will significantly improve its capabilities. Since you would be doing all the coding manually in AppGameKit to implement player and camera controls, you could presumably code a first person and third person view just as you may in DBPro (changing the camera position and hiding/showing the player model).
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2013 03:35
Quote: "We just wanted to say thank you for all the work put into this. It is greatly appreciated, and well worth the purchase."

Thanks very much for the positive feedback, im very glad you like it and have found it useful.

Like mentioned AppGameKit doesnt support animations just yet, but it is in the works. I have begun working on an update for FPSC-2-AGK which will convert (to obj) and load all dynamic objects (and position them) into the game as well. It is still incomplete and is a while from being finished, but this is in the pipeline.

I will also look into the new AppGameKit 3d model format once it is finished and implements. So if everything goes to plan we should see some nice new features added to FPSC-2-AGK over the coming months !

Thanks

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2013 06:37
I know there isn't any animation. that is why I asked where would I go from bringing an FPSC level into AGK. It is useless without having certain objects such as characters. Do I need to use 2d sprite characters and also how do I implement them into the level.

I guess I will just forget about this app for now. I can't seem to get any help!

I'm addicted to programming and coffee!
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2013 06:47
Quote: "I have begun working on an update for FPSC-2-AGK which will convert (to obj) and load all dynamic objects (and position them) into the game as well. It is still incomplete and is a while from being finished, but this is in the pipeline."

That is great news, Wizzkid. As I mentioned, this app has been very useful for us. Not only do we make our own launcher that "wraps" our FPSC games, but using your app provided an extra tool. We use your app for each level to create a "virtual walk-through" and my wife creates static signs that give the users help at key locations. It was a toss up between this method or doing a PDF walk-through with screenshots. My wife opted for your app, and the clients really liked the idea. If players get stuck, they can return to the launcher, click the "Virtual Walk-through" button and it launches the EXE we produce. They can read the signs at specific locations that give help on how to solve that particular area.

While we make our levels, we make a duplicate of the level(s) called "l#-walkthrough" which has only the static items (including our help signs). Though we are use to the method already, having the ability to have dynamic items included is an added bonus from where we stand.

We've passed the link on the TGC store to a few other developers we know that work in both FPSC and AppGameKit like us. They were impressed with how easy it is to use, so hopefully that will help draw in more customers. We also have ensured your name is added to our credit list for our developments (including the link to the product on TGC's site)- a token of our appreciation.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-30 23:16:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-30 23:16:54