Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Wrath of Ashardalon

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 00:19
For those interested, part one of the first turn in my playthrough of the board game Wrath of Ashardalon now up!

;D

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 05:53
Looks interesting!

I used to watch my cousins play this back in the 90s. I have always been interested, but never got into it. Got into playing Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

I am thinking of buying a D&D board game for my birthday, but need to know which one is the best. I can only buy one so I needed to know which one to invest in. How would you compare this with Castle Ravenloft and Legend of Drizzt? Any others?

Abdul Ahad

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 10:32
What's a board game?

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 10:41
Quote: "What's a board game?"

I think it's that thing with the cardboard.

TheComet

http://blankflankstudios.tumblr.com/
"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." - Fluffy Rabbit
"Bottom line, people are retarded." - Fluffy Rabbit
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 20:53
Oh the thing that the game cd comes in?

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 20:54
this actually did get me interested in getting the game how complex is this game? Doesnt look that complex - which mind you is a good thing x)

reminds me a bit of roguelikes - with the way the tiles work x)

Whose eyes are those eyes?
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2013 19:57
Can I ask where you are from Nicky? Sound the same as Lee and I have no idea about the accent. Is it west country?
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I think I enjoyed that a lot more than I should have. The game looks fun. Upload part 2, I want to watch more!

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2013 23:19
Thanks for the feedback guys. I would appreciate it more if you left the feedback on the YouTube channel so I can have them all in one spot (a mistake has already been spotted by someone on a completely different forum.)

@Quick: The game isn't complicated at all! Just follow the sequence of events (on a nice handy hint card that comes with the game!) and use various power cards.

@SpyDaniel: I'm from "up north", north-east in the UK, Middlesbrough to be precise so I apologise for my accent lol!

Part 2 will be sometime next week so subscribe and you won't miss it.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2013 02:23 Edited at: 24th Feb 2013 04:32
Nice video Nickydude. I enjoy seeing games played. As I've said before I only have Legend of Drizzt so it's nice to see the components and cards from this box i.n action

Quote: "a mistake has already been spotted by someone on a completely different forum"

Would you mind sharing the mistake? The only thing I think it could possibly be was when the bear attacked only two heroes on the Start Tile. I only ask because I would have played the thing exactly the same way as you so it would interesting to see what I'm doing wrong.

I really enjoy these D&D system board games. They have very easy rules (particularly when you compare them to something like Arkham Horror) and you can teach the game to someone very quickly and have some great fun.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2013 19:56 Edited at: 24th Feb 2013 19:57
Thanks Thraxas, the mistake was very minor and doesn't effect gameplay at all, nothing to do with the bear but I'll let you try to figure it out until the next episode.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2013 09:08
I'll have another look and see if I can

Do you ever paint your miniatures?

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2013 15:06
No I don't as I can't paint but check out the next episode for something about painted figures.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2013 15:10
Quite darn excited about the next episode, GIVE IT HERE :3

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2013 15:39
Should be coming within the next day or two.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 05:32
Turn 1 Part 2 now up, remember to subscribe if you want to keep informed.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2013 01:46
Quote: "No I don't as I can't paint but check out the next episode for something about painted figures."

When I was younger my friends and I used to play a lot of blood bowl and we all painted our miniatures. Mine looked rubbish compared to my friends.

Once I got back in to board-gaming and saw some of the miniatures that came with them I wanted to get back into it and have a go. I think that I've done so far has been pretty good (relatively speaking) and painted miniatures certainly add a whole new atmosphere to the games. I won't post any pictures here as I don't want to hijack your thread, but I would say that getting some nice looking miniatures doesn't require a lot of talent. Of course there is no comparison between mine and the ones that those good at painting produce.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2013 14:17
Just wanted to say I'm still enjoying the series and giving this a little bump to remind people who may have forgotten about it.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2013 18:59
I havent had time latly to watch them :/ Will pick up soon whenever i'm not super tired or when i dont have work ^^ Thanks for the reminder though!

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2013 10:41
Unlocked at request.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2013 21:25
Thanks
so me and my family had a test run of this game yesterday, and we managed to kinnda "build ourselves in a corner" - in other words, there were no way to advance and put new map pieces - since we were "walled in"
if that makes sense?
At ay rate, is there any rules or anything in order to fix this, or is this an issue we'd have to "be clever and solve ourselves"?

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2013 21:53
So there was absolutely nowhere around the edges of the map you could place new tiles? I don't think there's an actual rule covering this. I've never had that happen but you could 'house rule' it and remove one of the dead end pieces and carry on from there.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2013 08:52
I don't recall this ever happening in any of the games I've played. I don't want to sound condescending, but were you placing the tiles correctly. As I don't see how you can do this.

I know in Legend of Drizzt, one of the adventures states that if you can't place a tile properly it goes to the nearest unexplored edge where it will fit. Maybe if you find yourself in this situation again where a tile would block you in, you place it in a similar fashion.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2013 20:55
faarly sure we did place them correctly yes =P

also, are encounters really supposed to come this often? Seems we're just standing in one rule fighting guys for the majority of the game because of the encounters being on EVERY players end turn :S

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2013 22:30 Edited at: 29th Dec 2013 01:21
Yeah something happens every player turn. It's one of the things that makes the game so hard, in my opinion. You get that nice feeling of satisfaction when you finally win, though.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2013 23:43 Edited at: 28th Dec 2013 23:44
- If you don't lay a tile you have to draw an encounter card.
- if you lay a tile with a black arrow you have to draw an encounter card.

The mechanic is there to keep you laying tiles and moving forward

Yes, encounters can be a right pain in the chainmail!

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2013 00:21
I thought he was referring to combat encounters. Every new tile spawns a monster. If you don't spawn a tile you draw an encounter card. Something is happening every turn.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2013 01:29
nono the monster tiles I dont mind ^^
Encounter cards are kind of annoying IMO though - I get the gist, but it can make it a bit too difficult - might just be me though.
Well, me and my family's been having a blast anyway

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2013 03:35
I do sometimes think some of the encounters are a bit much. It might be that I just don't like losing.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 22:41
Legend of Drizzt makes encounters a lot easier.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 22:57
oh, legend of drizzt is compatible with Ashardalon? I'll have to look into that^^
Any other tips for games compatible with ashardalon?

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 23:14
Apart from the backs of the tiles being different the two are compatible. The Drizzt heroes are more powerful which makes things slightly easier, but you can still have a bad run of monsters/encounters which keeps you on your toes.

Castle Ravenloft is also another game which uses the same system. The back of its tiles are the same as Ashardalon, so you can make your own adventures and mix the tiles.

I suppose it depends on how much you enjoy the game as to whether or not you want to grab all three.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 23:41
well we do enjoy it lots, it's just a bit too difficult as it is now (which, i suppose can be fixed with house rules if nothing else)

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 00:34 Edited at: 31st Dec 2013 00:34
One house rule that's popular is to only draw encounter cards when you draw a tile with a black arrow. If you're moving through tiles that are already there don't draw any encounter cards.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 02:45
Quote: "One house rule that's popular is to only draw encounter cards when you draw a tile with a black arrow. If you're moving through tiles that are already there don't draw any encounter cards."

I didnt think of that - good idea, will propose that next time! Thanks!

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 09:43
I dont like double posting but
we played yesterday with the house rule of only drawing encounter cards when you draw a tile with black arrows - that was much more enjoyable, still kept the difficulty of the game, while not being TOO difficult (We finally managed to finish the adventure we've been trying so hard to finish xD the one with the lost gear adventure)

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 11:04
I like that feeling of beating an adventure that's giving you trouble. I still have adventures from Drizzt that I haven't beaten even using more healing surge tokens.

I'm also a big fan of house ruling games, particularly with games like these which seem to be more of a sandbox system, where you can be extra creative with what you do in them. My group of gaming friends have got heavily into playing Zombicide and we love everything about it, apart from the noise tokens. We found them fiddly and took away some of the flow of the game. We don't use them now makes things so much better.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 14:54
Quote: "I like that feeling of beating an adventure that's giving you trouble. I still have adventures from Drizzt that I haven't beaten even using more healing surge tokens. "

Absolutly, although getting crushed isnt fun either :/ In this adventure(the one with the satchel) we had lost both healing surges and everyone was down to like 2-4 hp each in the end

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 03:47
I might play an adventure or two from the D&D board game system (and put them on YouTube) sometime this year.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 09:55
That I'd watch atleast ^^

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 07:19:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 07:19:01