Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Teach Yourself Game Programming for Android and Windows [AGK eBook release]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Daniel thanks for the detailed response, I have to confess to a professional interest in the subject as an IT lecturer who teaches some coding, I am always keen to understand what is out there. AppGameKit poses a bit of a dilemma for me, in the same way that Dark Basic does, in that whilst I appreciate the functionality, and the relative ease of use in which some of the "games" capability can be used, the use of the Basic language and the procedural nature of the coding, means that the languages are something at variance to the rest of the programming classes which try to teach the students an oops approach.

Btw I think you book represents terrific value, and I will buy a copy just as soon as I get access to the AppGameKit v 1, as it will undoubtably save me a lot of time in getting my head back into a basic way of thinking. I am interested in your decision to look at the web apps as you clearly believe there will be interst in that arena. Having been in the IT business for almost 30 years I remain somewhat sceptical of the "newer" technologies, so I will be interested to see how web apps develop as a practical gaming technology over the next few years
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2013 23:14
eborr, I work in C++ (Tier 2) with AGK. And I love it! And I use exactly the same code files for Windows, Android, iOS and Mac projects.

I suspect that when Daniel gets around to the C++ book, it will be amazing what can be done in OOP and AGK.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2013 02:27
Ah Ancient Lady, that was something I didn't know. I must admit one of the reasons I've held off on Tier 2 is because I imagined I'd have to rewrite all my loop and IF statements to a C++ Equivalent. I never imagined I could dump code into the XCODE or Eclipse Editor in an AS-IS state. If it is that easy then I'll have to look into this, and perhaps write an extension for the existing book demonstrating this.

Thank you eborr, I'm in the process of getting something ready for secondary and post-secondary schools as I write this, I can't give any details of this right now but I hope in a few weeks I'll be able to making a posting with more details. The Education market is something I'm going to be very focused on in the future.
eborr
Years of Service
User Offline
Happy to give a view if you want to share stuff, I did some of the proof reading for the current set of BTEC Level 3 standard.

Bare in mind education is changing, there is a return to coding, how exactly it will shape up is yet to be seen.

Basic in the form of VB might be around for a bit, but the emphasis in moving to c# and Java as the preferred beginner languages.

Also all schools and colleges get a fantastic deal from MS so Visual studio tends to be the ide of choice.

Materials for Gaming is a different matter though. I could offer some thoughts on that but that would be predjudicing some of my own ideas which I dont want to share in a public forum.
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2013 19:54
Daniel, are you crazy? of course you have to rewrite all to C++, Xcode does not understand BASIC.

I think AL meant that she is using the same C++ code for all OS'es.

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 15:27 Edited at: 11th Aug 2013 15:30
I thought that was the case. AL comment did rather confuse me on that score.

@eborr

I remember my IT class back in the 90's trying to teach bunch of kids BASIC was bad enough and that's relatively easy. Trying to teach that same class Pascal not so much. Trying to teach them Java as a starting language? That's going to be a disaster in my opinion. Back then the IDE's were more on an AppGameKit level, type in some code, press a function key and the program runs. Visual Studio's setup confuses the heck out of me sometimes and I've been using it on and off for a few years now. It's not an education environment it's a professional environment.

No if we're going to get school age kids into computer programming again, we need something simpler than Visual Studio and Java.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 15:59
Pascal's a lot easier than Basic! Basic looks easy, but allows you to screw up in a very large number of ways!

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 16:19
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
eborr
Years of Service
User Offline
Daniel just to play the old git on you I first stated to teach kids to code back in the 1980's.

I realised back the nBasic teaches so many bad habits, that I stopped using it and moved on to Pascal as the beginners language.

At the moment on the level 3 course I use c# as the intro language and then move onto c++ to teach the oops approach.

My colleague who teaches web development starts off with simple scripting, and then moves onto Java script quite quickly.

c# is pretty much like Delphi + in my thinking, not ideal but a hell of a lot better than VB, which used to be quite simple and elegant, but latterly has become really bloated and swollen.

c# is very good from the discipline point of view, in the sense that it forces people to code well, and therefore is prefereable to Basic which is intuitive is that's all you have ever used but it does not serve as good preperation for students who want to develop into career programmers
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 19:54 Edited at: 11th Aug 2013 20:04
Not every child at a school level is going to develop careers as programmers. Epically not if you try to explain C to them the first time around. At that point it's more about rewarding the student for creating something with computers, rather than preparing them for a career in it. Once they've had that positive feedback and got the creative bug in them they will be far more willing to take it forward to the next level.

When I think of the kids I went to school with (most whom barely managed to understand DOS let alone a programming language (I grew up in the welsh valleys)) being thrown in with such languages I can't help but feel it's going to have the opposite effect. This next load of kids are going to be even worse. Their idea of programming a game is drag and drop.

The method you are suggesting of implementing might appeal to some kids who have been exposed to programming in the home already, but I seriously doubt getting a group of kids into this cold with those languages is going to benefit anyone.

Having said that, I should also mention that I never learned to code a darn thing in school. It wasn't fun, and the teacher didn't know how to make it fun. What did make it fun for me was writing a program that insulted my 3 siblings in multicoloured text. I didn't make anything worth while until my 20's to be honest, anything before that was just playing with computers to find out all the interesting things I could do with them. The result is a basic understanding of everything from 2D/ 3D art design and creation to understanding full programming languages. I use computers for novel writing, and I've used CAD to design product idea's. I've built my first PC from scratch at 16 and have never bought a pre-made desktop since. My father never set out with the goal of "teaching me programming" he instead showed me all the little ways that computers are useful. The result is a desire to really learn the subject. This is something I've yet to be seen captured in schools.

Then again, I am absolutely not a teacher, I'm sure you have a few great success stories as well. They are probably also better programmers than I am.

But I do wonder if it's schools job to "make kids learn programming" or expose them to all the different fun aspects of it. Slap together some old parts, make a working PC, introduce them to interesting tools one of which is programming. Then letting the student really decide which area they want to go into.

Sorry, just kinda typing this as the thoughts go through my brain. These are the sorts of things I tend to think but the one area I keep coming back to is that computers in school was never fun.
eborr
Years of Service
User Offline
You are quite right most of what they teach in IT is schools is awful. I have tried to build a programme which reflects the employment opportunities that are available out there, as well as providing students with a taster in a number of areas so that they can refine their choices for their Univ applications.
This last academic year all my students passed and 25% achieved 3 grade A A levels.
The courses we deliver includes the following topics
Project Management, web design, bit of hardware/networking ,Event Driven programming, object orientated programming, animation, Games Design and Development, Server/client side web programming, control - which I think covers a decent range of possibilities
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 21:45
That sounds like an improvement over want I learned in school, and that is an astonishing success rate. My focus with this ebook and the course I'm in the process of writing, is more about allowing the student to make employment for themselves. Something I'm in the process of doing myself as royalties continue to pay off after project completions. I'm also having to write another course which is more job market based. I must admit I'm having less fun producing that one. I'm using AppGameKit as the basis for both of them. It will be interesting to get your opinion on it perhaps in the future, we should start going into beta testing for it this week and after I get the say so I can announce details properly here. It will be interesting to see what kind of difference various individual and group efforts make to education. If it improves enough maybe I'll go back to college myself rather than adopting the self learning style I've always relied upon up until now.
eborr
Years of Service
User Offline
Downloaded the book. First impressions are very good. Outstanding value thank you.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 17:00
Thank you it is much appreciated.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2013 15:51 Edited at: 1st Sep 2013 15:52
Hi guys,

Quick update on the video version of this eBook.

I've been fighting various issues regarding this, mostly to do with the expense of printing DVD's, the fact that HD video is now standard and BluRay is unreasonably expensive on short runs, and that various video delivery systems are also very expensive. I need this product to be affordable to everyone and at the same time I need this product to pay the bottom line and provide a little bit of funding for the next project.

To this end, I'm now considering moving away from traditional "sit and watch" DVD's and into an online system, most likely based on a CMS. The advantage of this system is that error's can be corrected, and videos can be updated so you are no longer forced into a "buy in whatever state and live with it" situation. The advantage for DVD's is that I pay for the print, you guys buy the DVD and the profit stands. The advantage of an online system is that I can expand beyond simple videos, by adding tests, example projects and other associated media. Maybe even a final exam where the user receives a certificate of some thing stating that they've passed it. Naturally this exam would be a vanity item it's doubtful that it will get you employment with it and I won't claim otherwise. But it might be useful to indicate a minimum competency level with the language within this community.

The drawback of an online system is that it is an ongoing cost. This means that users would be purchasing access to the course 3 - 6 months then they'd likely have to renew their subscription. Of course this means that I'll need to keep updating the course to fit the latest AppGameKit version, this includes 2.0.

Anyway, what would you guys prefer? A single "sit and watch" video with a single cost at around £29.99 - £49.99 a set, or something online at half the price that you can subscribe to for 3 to 6 months, that includes bonus material?
CyberGamer
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd go with the online subscription approach.

Joined Sat Sep 21st 2002
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 17:04 Edited at: 8th Oct 2013 17:05
Teach Yourself Stuff partnered with Et Tu Create to create the Mobile Application Design and Development course.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 15:44 Edited at: 20th Dec 2013 15:45
Some great news, the Teach Yourself Stuff eBook series is going to expand. Need a website to go with your game? In 2014 Teach Yourself HTML5 for Web Developers will be on sale. The Teach Yourself Stuff website will also return featuring a hand coded HTML5 design.
Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 15:31
Hi Daniel

I'm Beginner Programmer and know syntax VB programming language.But I'm not good programming. Before bought your book I want know it can help me to improve my Programming?

Thanks.
BobH0905
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 19:17
I've bought the kindle version of the book and I can't download the first downloadable file I've come to.
http://files.teachyourselfstuff.com/agk/ebook/vol1/ts-agkv1ex1.zip
I've tried the link in the kindle book, the link in this forum, typing it into my browser (omitting spaces) and even browsing the teachyourselfstuff website, and I still can't find it. Can you give me any help in finding the download files please?
leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2014 05:56 Edited at: 24th Feb 2014 06:01
ooooops i made a mistake.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2015 12:41
Hi guys,

It's been a while since my last update. So here goes.

Today I began editing Teach Yourself Game Programming for Android and Windows. There will be some minor chapter changes, and a couple of new game examples added.

The biggest change however, is that I'm planning to integrate AppGameKit 2.0 into the existing book, rather than writing a completely separate book. This will include new interface screenshots, and at least 1 new 3D example, there will be more depending on how much time I have.

This means existing ebook owners won't have to shell out twice for what is an evolution of the language rather than a full replacement of it.

Hopefully when you download this ebook sometime in late February or March (depending on time) you will be presented with two internal links. The first for AppGameKit Community Edition, and the second for AppGameKit 2.0.

If you have anything you want covered in AppGameKit 2.0 (I make no promises, it is still aimed at giving fundamental skills rather than advanced shader coding! haha) then please feel free to comment.
Chrisx2ds
Years of Service
User Offline
WoW!! just purchased it, can't wait for the book update

as I just recently own a copy of AGKv2, feel excited about study with book update together
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 19:08
Just bought your book. Looking forward to reading it.

Hope it covers what im looking for
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 21:55
@Daniel TGC
Your media links no longer work for the AppGameKit examples in your chapters.

I have tried the 99 line example link and the 1100 line example link.
None work.

None which matter to me. Im more interested in reading the examples than seeing the outcome.
Was just going to let you know

BTW: Im using the eBook download from my kindle on the Amazon store.
mrradd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 17:52
I was hesitant to buy since it said it was for AGK. Seeing that it is being (has been?) updated to AGKv2 I will most definitely be purchasing.

-mrradd-
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2015 17:14
The book was good anyway, so having updates for AppGameKit V2 would be great.

Maybe something on platform games and tile example usage eg creating a simple Mario Style game using other tools like Tile Studio and loading/reading levels etc?

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2015 15:07
@Daniel

Not sure how far you have got in updating this book but I was thinking that a good section in the book would be how to convert levels etc from Game Guru to AGK2 and use them to make a similar game with AGK2 especially now that the 3D commands will be worked on very soon.

I guess you could use the tool FPSCTOAGK? or would this need updating.

This would be a great chapter in the book and with the 3D commands would encourage people to buy both AppGameKit if they have Game Guru and vice versa.

I know I bought Game Guru for this very reason.

Cheers.

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 12:29
How's it going with the book Daniel. Website is still at 1% complete, is it just not updated like TGC site?

Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2015 19:28
Hi guys,

Sorry! Best laid plans and all that. I've been making updates to the CTE Learning course and published a new HTML5 course with them this year. I've also been developing two other courses for colleges, including updates for their DarkBASIC Professional course. The updates and improvements there took longer than I anticipated.

I'm presently experimenting with 3D games and seeing what it will take to get some into the new book. I'm updating the images in the old book with the new IDE.

Because I'm planning to release this eBook as an update made available to all existing ebook holders I'm not expecting a financial return for this reason the project is getting a medium priority, the new courses for CTE Learning are getting top priority.

I'll sit down on Wednesday and see where I'm at with the project then update the website.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2015 01:45
Quote: "CTE Learning course"

Wondering what this is??

Regarding the update, if you are going to be adding additional content to the book like extra chapters etc and not just converting everything to v2, then why not charge a nominal fee for people who already have v1.
Not sure about everyone else but I would pay an upgrade fee so to speak for this.
This would help with your incentive to complete and then dont forget it would be a good book for newcomers to the language as there isnt a great deal book wise for AGK2 yet.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2015 02:19 Edited at: 1st Jun 2015 02:21
CTe Learning

It's a professional school, college, and university course supplier. I wrote, video recorded, edited and produced a full AppGameKit v1 course for them with a focus on Business App making called Mobile Application Design and Development. We're bringing AppGameKit into the classroom, training the next generation to code multiplatform software with it.

They also do a video game course based on DarkBASIC Professional which I've just written, video recorded and edited a bunch of updates for.

The web design in HTML5 course there was also written, recorded and edited by me.

-------------------------

Thank you, however a nominal fee would be a great idea if I sold these books in enough bulk and at a price to justify it. I doubt many people will buy the same book twice, and there is very little difference in 2D between AppGameKit v1 and v2. AppGameKit v1 is no longer sold actively so I need to do an update for it. But at the same time, I've got to keep food on the table, the lights running and the debt collectors happy. I've sold a lot more of these books here and on various ebook market places than I ever expected too but the reality is it doesn't equate to much of an income. My other course writing is basically keeping the project viable at this point, or I'd be flipping fries with the greasy mcdonalds kids instead of working on it :p
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2015 03:17
CTe stuff looks good, not seen that before.
You are totally right though with resources going to what brings home the money to do other stuff in the first place.

Well its a good read and I will stand by what I said as to paying for an update, especially for extra content and chapters but like you said this might not be others views.

Reading material for Agk is very sparse and your book would do really well to be bundled with every copy of Agk sold. I bought the book at the same time as buying Agk2 even though I knew it was for Agk1.

Have you thought of an actual hard copy to sell?
First thing I did was print it out when I downloaded it after buying as I prefer a paper copy on the desk Took a while to print and a bit of ink lol

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2015 12:37
Hi,

I'll look into getting a print version up. If I do it will be done through Amazon but the price will be significantly higher. I'm afraid short print runs are only cheap if I get it done in the tens of thousands. I'd have to do through an on-demand print company. They tend to be expensive.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2015 17:19
Would be worth looking into

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2015 18:24
Sorry if I missed it, but how much does the "Mobile Application Design and Development with Industry Certification" video course cost?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2015 19:58
I'm afraid I don't sell at CTe Learning so I honestly have no idea what these sell for. I leave the marketing to Steve Waddell, you're welcome to ask via the website. But these are sold to schools only and the price varies depending on the number of seats buying into it.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2015 12:00
Well I'm not in any rush to go back to school, so I guess I won't get to see those vids

Although: My kids are getting into game development now (awesome!) so maybe I could encourage their school to start a coding club or something? I'll ping Steve an e-mail to see if that course is suitable.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2015 15:43
I'm sure Steve would be very happy with that! You can help your kid with his homework too!

------------------------

Website is updated, I put some work into the book today and the progress has gone up somewhat. Basically it's one huge 1113 page word file sitting on OneDrive ready to edit whenever I have a free moment.

You can check the specific progress at [href]www.teachyourselfstuff.com[/href]
bigc90210
Years of Service
User Offline
Personally id like in a book on agk2 things like

naming conventions
how to set out a project
best practices for laying out code
examples for using Spriter Pro and AGK2 together
tips for side scrolling / isometric gaming
tips for working around lack of databases
3d examples / how raycasting and 3d cameras etc work
multiplayer examples
3rd party server http examples / explanation
xbox controller / multiple controller examples and support

any or all of the above would persuade me to buy it
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2015 14:44
For now this book's only additions will be 3D. I'm largely waiting for those improvements to turn up in AppGameKit v2, once they do my priority will be to work up a cool example and then teach it long with essentials. Your best practices and laying out a project is a good idea. I'll seriously consider writing those. XBOX Controller support is also a great idea. I've already got the code for that. I also want to experiment with bluetooth controllers such as the Mad Catz C.N.T.L controller. I've got the Mad Catz MOJO games console here and I want to do something for that as well. It's got a nice nVidia 4 chip running at 1.8ghz I hope to get some nice impressive results for that one.

I'm already teaching how to deal with the lack of databases. To my mind, that's a job for TYPE and DIM working together. It's cardfile rather than relational but still perfectly good for complex RPG games containing alot of stats.

I can get AppGameKit v2 to support MySQL database, but that won't appear in the book simply because to do it the user needs to know PHP. If they know PHP then all they need to do is preform HTTP POST requests and let the server handle the rest. It appear to work well for my mini-mmo game framework.

I'm not touching side scrolling or isometric because. Well, to be honest there's another book in those. Taking the time to write a good side scrolling game, and isometric game is time consuming. Not to mention alot of artwork goes into these games and I have an overall budget of 0 dollars. I did however invest in a wacom tablet a week ago so I may at some point simply draft out some graphics and then leave the user to replace them with their own.

Ultimately however before I teach my game frameworks. I want to push a game up on the Android app store and get some feedback. Teaching a shoddy "my first game example" is fine for the first book. I'm really just teaching the fundamentals of the language. It's pretty much a Kick-in-the-pants book. Something cheap to get novice users over the initial technology humps I had to get over with DBPro.

For more advanced works, I'm not going to write it unless I've done it myself first. I think community members deserve my best possible effort.
bigtunacan
Years of Service
User Offline
How applicable is this book and also Hands On AppGameKit to AGK2 since both books were written for AGK1? I'm new to AGK2 and a good book covering it would be nice, but everything seems to be for the old AGK1 and I don't know how much has changed between the two.
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 23:29
Am a bit new to all this and have bought the book, and it's great. With regards to the differences between AppGameKit 1 and AppGameKit 2 I think the main difference is that AppGameKit 2 has 2 tiers. Tier 1 is for BASIC and Tier 2 allows you to use c++.

You'll be fine getting this book, it covers all of the basics that you need to create 2D shooters and any other game that uses sprites.

There's a free downloadable version of this book Hands On containing the first few chapters, I haven't tried Hands On yet but bought this book after checking out the first few chapters. A few things have changed from versions 1 and 2 like the New Project screens and setup being slightly different but nothing that you can't work out.

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
Remirol
Years of Service
User Offline
I just purchased the book too. A good deal at around €10. I know the basics of c++ and c# and javascript so AppGameKit basic is actually fairly easy to follow for me. I am still getting my head around scope and types so hopefully this book will cast some light on it.

Already read some good tips and so far I'd recommend it even if it is based on AGK1.
Nightbreed
Years of Service
User Offline
Great book ever thought of a Google Play release? Or is that too complicated?
mllebienvenu
Years of Service
User Offline
@Daniel TGC
[quote]I'm not touching side scrolling or isometric because. Well, to be honest there's another book in those.[/qoute]

What book is that? Or did you mean there is potential for a whole other book with those topics?
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2015 21:29
Quote: "How applicable is this book and also Hands On AppGameKit to AGK2 since both books were written for AGK1? I'm new to AGK2 and a good book covering it would be nice, but everything seems to be for the old AGK1 and I don't know how much has changed between the two."

There "will" be many new things, but presently AGKv2's source code is exactly the same as AGKv1. The difference in AGKv2 will be advanced 3d commands. All the 2D commands remain the same. This book focuses on 2D commands only. It also focuses on the core features of the language, integers, floats, logic and decision making, functions, subroutines. All the behind the scenes stuff that make games work.

All of that remains the same between AGKv1 and AGKv2

There's also some other little stuff, for exmaple I could never get GPS commands working in AGKv1 but they work in AGKv2.

The chapter on the AppGameKit interface can be ignored because AGKv2 has a brand new (and better one) with debugging and other more advanced features. Those aren't covered in the book at all.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2015 21:33
Quote: "Great book ever thought of a Google Play release? Or is that too complicated?"

It's not too complicated I just never got around to it. Google play wasn't much on my radar, I thought Kindle, iBooks, Kobo were were the most readers are.

Also all Android and iOS users can use Kindle so there's some nice common ground there.
pamercomov
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2015 16:51
Hello.
I bought the book on this site today, and I have a problem to download the book's examples .... all the examples you put to download I get error 404 not found ...
you've changed the site files?
They are no longer available ??
You can send me a link to download please?
using AppGameKit V2 tier 1
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2015 14:07
Hi guys,

Now that 2.015b is out, it's time to get on with the extra example creation. Here's a preview showing some of what you can expect from the new 3D section. The code is somewhat inelegant but easy enough for newbies to pick up. As you all know I'm not a fan of absolute resolutions, but this example will do for a first introduction into 3D and Physics. I hope you enjoy.

3D Physics collisions and hit detection.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 03:34:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 03:34:01