Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / What is the state of AdMob support on Android?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2013 00:44 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2013 01:37
I've never tested AdMob on Android yet and am wondering if it is usable in Tier 1, v1.088? The SetAdMobDetails() command has existed for some time and the help indicates "AdMob is currently supported by iOS and Android." However, it was mentioned by Paul last year that "we had to drop Admob on Android as we couldn't get it to work with the NDK, it seems to require the Java side view layouts which we don't use." Was this ever remedied or are we still stuck with Inner-Active for Android?

Edit: I just created a test app with AdMob support for Android and the adverts appeared successfully on three different Android devices I tested on (2.3 through 4+) so I will trust it is safe to use this now.
Talairina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2013 20:09
That's great to know. Do you know if they have a 'generic' id for testing on? Seem's AdMob want's a published market app for creating new app's on it's list.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
You can create an entry on AdMob for your app before it is on the market, as follows:

1.) Sign-in to AdMob
2.) Select Sites & Apps > Add Site/App
3.) Select 'Android App'
4.) Enter the App Name as desired
5.) Enter "http://" without quotes for 'Android Package URL'
6.) Select a category and enter a brief description--all of this can be changed at any time
7.) Make sure 'Use keyword-targeted ads' is selected, enter Captcha, and press Continue.

To get the code for AppGameKit, go back to the main Sites & Apps page. Find the app you just created, hover over its name and select 'Manage Settings' and you will see "Publisher ID" at the top with the code.

Note that the App Name does not have to match your actual app name, for instance if you create one for iPhone and one for Android you can use "MyApp Android" and "MyApp iPhone" for the App Names. You can change these at any time.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2013 02:44 Edited at: 4th Mar 2013 03:41
I think I may have spoke too soon. Although the ads show up as if everything is fine when I use Android, the app is stuck in "Inactive" mode on AdMob and none of the requests or clicks are recorded at all. I can only get my app to appear as 'Active' if I configure AdMob on iOS devices... Would appreciate if Paul/Lee could chime in on this.

Edit again: After posting that my Android configured app did finally show as Active on AdMob with one request, so maybe I just need to experiment a bit more. It also seems that you can create an app on AdMob and specify iPhone or iPad but still use the same Publisher ID on Android. I'm still playing around with it to figure out the best practices with AGK.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2013 22:06
Quote: "Would appreciate if Paul/Lee could chime in on this."

AdMob does now work on Android and iOS, but nothing else.
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2013 22:16
Yes works really well for me on Android in 108b8

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 15:44:31
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 15:44:31