Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Issue when using version control.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums. I use tortoise svn and I uploaded an entire projects directory to version control.When I downloaded the project on my laptop (its a very small project), it compiles but always runs the old version (before changes). Its very strange, even if I comment out everything it runs it as if I made no changes.

Am I doing something wrong? Or do I need to adjust things for version control? AppGameKit has full admin privileges and the folder path contains no spaces.

This is a fresh instal of agk and I've re-downloaded the code as well. It compiles and runs fine on my desktop.

I'm open to suggestions. I would like to work on my projects on my laptop when I'm away from home. Thanks.
Lunar Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought I should add starting a new project seems to work OK. Compiling then building works as expected.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 19:51
First, are you working in Tier 1 or Tier 2?
Next, what version of AppGameKit are you using?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Lunar Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Tier one, the basic editor.
agk version 1076, the newest installer for windows (downloaded 2 days ago)
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 20:12
Because the compiler doesn't actually compile the executable, sometimes it doesn't really compile the byte code file.

I recommend NOT vc'ing the byte code file (<yourproj>\media\<yourproj>.byc).

In theory, in the final v108 release, there will be a 'clean' button in the IDE that will make sure that all relevant files are actually cleaned.

In v1076 (and until the final v108 release), manually delete the following files (path starting in <yourproj>:
<yourproj>.exe
media\<yourproj>.byc
media\SourceCode.agc
media\SourceCode.txt

That way, the build will actually really rebuild the project.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Lunar Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
I actually tried those same steps earlier, suspecting that might be the problem. (I need to do the same thing with some C# projects that get mangled in svn).

I followed the steps and removed the files. I also reinstalled agk from the website installer. Same issue. I've included the project, its small. It never picks up the changes in the main loop. See the following image, this is directly after a compile, then run. My exact repository path is 'C:\OnlineSVN\PracticeAGK\trunk\Practice'.

Thank you for your help so far.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 21:10
I downloaded the project and deleted the files I mentioned and built it and got the same display you show, minus the "Main loop running." comment.

Then I put back each of the commented bits in the do lop and saw the expected new stuff.

Have you tried running the Practice.exe executable from the File Manager?

Did you use the compile button after deleting the files and then the Run button (which, I discovered, broadcasts AND runs the app, not just runs on the local computer)?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Lunar Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Have you tried running the Practice.exe executable from the File Manager?"

Yes, produces same results.

Quote: "Did you use the compile button after deleting the files and then the Run button (which, I discovered, broadcasts AND runs the app, not just runs on the local computer)?"

Yes a few times. Close agk, delete files mentioned. Open agk, compile, run.

This is a weird, and frustrating issue. I started another little test app, and it seems to work fine. I would really like to keep the source code under version control though.
Lunar Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
I"m not at home to double check, but could different IDE settings cause this? I remember changing a few settings, such as the setting to allow multiple instances.

Here on my laptop, I didn't change any of the default settings.

I'm not sure what that has to do with building a new exe but I can't really think of much else. I even moved the project folder to the root drive and tried rebuilding from there.
Lunar Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
One further note, I am able to edit the example projects no problem. Just editing their source, compiling, and rebuilding works fine.

So at least I'm pretty sure its not a user error.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 21:57
When you delete and compile, does the modification time stamp show the current date and time?

Is there any way your version control software is automagically overwriting anything you do?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Lunar Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
The time stamp on the exe is indeed wrong. I removed the files for deletion from svn, so they are not kept or restored.

I also emptied trash to ensure it wasn't being restored from there. Still not working.

The exe shows an impossible time stamp 6/6/2012 10:21 AM
The other 3 files created (in media, byc, agc, txt) are all correct date and time.

Again this is a fresh instal, those 4 files are no longer under version control and removed from recycle bin. AppGameKit is creating this exe each time with incorrect attributes, but I'm not sure how or why. (Same issue when I remove the project from svn all together and place in a new directory)

For good measure, I even moved the project to my external hard drive - fully isolated from everything else, and its the same issue. Something must be wrong with the project itself. When I get home later, I'll try recreated the project from scratch and not including those files. I'll also try and sync settings between AppGameKit on my desktop and laptop (I suspect that's the issue).
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 22:31
The exe time stamp will always be wrong. Because it is not actually created, just copied from a common location and renamed. And this is okay. It is the byte code file that is the key.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Lunar Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
I give up. I removed the agk app, cleared svn, ran cc cleaner, and restarted. After installing everything again, the same exact issue (I even deleted the game creators program file folder). New projects seem to work ok. I'm going to wipe out this project and start another new one in svn and try again.
Lunar Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
So I'm not sure 'what' broke, but wiping that project and recreating a new different named project seems to have done the trick.

When I do some work on my desktop and update svn, the laptop properly builds the code now, and vice-versa.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 04:11
We just love our computers, don't we?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Lunar Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline