Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK V1.08 Beta Update...

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 00:21
We know it's been quiet for some time but that doesn't mean we're taking it easy and relaxing (far from it).

Here's an update as to what we've been fixing and updating in V1.08. A lot of these additions have been added due to some new apps that we have developed. The sword of an app, sharpens the AppGameKit sword! We will aim to release a new Beta once these apps are final and have been submitted (very soon we hope!)

AGK Next Beta will include the following improvements and fixes.

Sprites
- Fixed GetObjectVisible always returning 0
- Fixed GetObjectDepthWrite returning values outside the range 0-1
- Fixed CloneObject crash on objects without indexed vertices

Core Engine
- Improved performance when using Sync with only 2D items
- Fixed sprite sorting bug when using Render() without Update()
- Changed alpha blending when using GetImage to preserve opaque areas
- Fixed screen flash when app is rotated on iOS and Android

Images
- Can now load GIF images with LoadImage
- Added SetIntendedDeviceSize command so AppGameKit can scale down images on low resolution devices if you have designed your app for high resolution devices

Text Objects
- Improved speed performance when handling hundreds of text objects
- Improved quality of default Arial font image
- Improved text creation speed
- Improved text rendering speed when some of the letters are off screen

Android
- Fixed Android memory leak when using Java helper functions
- Fixed AGKSplash.png splash screen on Android devices
- Fixed GetChosenImage on Android so that it returns 0 if the user cancelled
- Fixed memory leak on Android
- Changed Android PrintImage so that it saves the image to the pictures folder and increments the image name
- Fixed a not responding message when selecting an image from Picasa
- Changed the Android Message command to be an actual message box
- Fixed Android keyboard missing key presses
- Improved video play back on Android, now less likely to crash.
- Fixed SetFolder on Android sometimes crashing with an empty string
- Fixed Android crash when back button pressed during text entry

Edit Boxes
- Added check for extended ASCII characters in edit boxes that do not have an extended font image
- Added command SetEditBoxExtendedFontImage to support extended ASCII characters
- Added SetEditBoxUseAlternateInput to set whether the edit box will use the default text input screen or not
- Improved edit box appearance to be consistent across resolutions
- Fixed GetEditBoxChanged so it no longer misses updates on iOS

iOS
- Completed Game Center commands
- Added parmater to RateApp(ID,title) to change the dialog box title text
- Fixed crash on iOS when images greater than 1024 with an odd number of pixels in height get scaled down
- Added InAppPurchaseRestore command for iOS

Social Networking
- Fixed FacebookPostOnMyWall command
- Fixed FacebookSetup on iOS so it now uses the given AppID instead of needing a project setting

Financial Director
TGC Team
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 02:11
Just great ! Thanks to all the TGC Team !

Can't wait for it
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 04:07
We always appreciate the updates.

Are you making progress in the confirmed google issues as well?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there anywhere I can view the help documentation for the 1088 beta commands without actually installing it?

I downloaded the zip hoping it might have the help docs inside but just found an installer file
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 05:45 Edited at: 8th Mar 2013 05:46
Install it in another folder you can use multiple versions at the same time

Quote: "Are you making progress in the confirmed google issues as well?"

+1
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
nice
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 01:36 Edited at: 9th Mar 2013 01:38
Sounds good, thanks! Any estimate on when work will begin on animated model support?
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 17:17 Edited at: 9th Mar 2013 17:19
Wow, you are really working good my friends!!!
I like the way is going!!!
I download now!!!

Edit : Not in download yet?

Long life to Steve!
Talairina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 18:23
It's not quite ready yet. They are just letting us know what's coming in the next beta which is great.
StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2013 03:18
I 2nd eXCept's question.. Animated Model Support is paramount, so that the author of FPSC to AppGameKit, can add this, and get the monsters, etc.. working, which will greatly ease the work req'd to build a FPS game for Android... Thanks for any and all info...

Btw: I got both AppGameKit books, and they are awesome!

The Hands of AppGameKit Basic by: Alistair Stewart, is really gr8, as he released a supplement chapter to explain the 3D Cmds for 1.08 Betas including usage howtos, weighing in at 116 Pages.

It is a very good source of info, other than the tutorials or manual included with AppGameKit itself.

Just in case anyone else is trying to learn how to use the 3D stuff in ver. 1.08+..

I hope this helps everyone else out there, as much as it has helped me, just trying to give back, as everyone at TGC is so nice and helpful, including our user community...

Thanks 4 the info...

StOrM3 aka Ken

[PKE] Pain Killa Entertainment(tm) [PKE]
[PKE] Of All The Things I've Lost..[PKE]
[PKE] I Miss My Mind The Most! [PKE]
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Does anyone in the know have the inside scoop, on approximately when 1089 will be arriving?
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2013 01:41 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2013 01:41
Quote: "Does anyone in the know have the inside scoop, on approximately when 1089 will be arriving?"

Latest post on the fb page from Rick is "AGK V1.089 incoming..." which was about an hour ago. So I would expect it to be very soon.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2013 12:53
It's available.

I live for video games! (And beers, and football, and cars!)
See what I live for here: [url]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/url]
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 08:01 Edited at: 26th Mar 2013 08:17
V1089 Beta IDE/Compiler Bug

The IF-THEN-ELSE Colon Seperator Bug still exisits in the latest beta.

e.g. This code is compiled OK

This is not!

I have added it to the official Bug Board, appologies if it has been reported before.

Weave
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, is there a free version of v1089 available?

Also, how can you change the volume of individual sounds once playing, or is it possible to in v1089, or perhaps will be in a future version?
? Or must I purchase a licensed one to find out if I will be able to?

Would be difficult if sounds couldn`t fade at distance from a characters position ie. and I see it`s not possible to change the volume of individual sounds once playing at least in the free version 107.
Thx
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 28th Mar 2013 03:41 Edited at: 28th Mar 2013 03:52
As far as I'm aware, there's no free version of v108b9 available, it does have the ability to change the volume of individual music files, but I don't it can with sfx. [from the help file that comes with my copy]
You could request it at http://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/list

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2013 04:20
This has already been requested
https://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/detail?id=507&q=sound

Also with memblock commands on the rise we may very well see some community functions that do all sorts of things to sounds may appear.

For now, what I do is I have very small sound samples for sounds that I want to fade out. This way when I can reduce the volume on each loop.
The code for this can be found here
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=codebase_view&i=57c786ca30f107537f78c8503b88a333

It shouldn't be too hard to modify it for distance.

Also, remember, the larger/longer your sound files are the more memory you use, the bigger your game is, so if you can figure out how to minimize that it will give you more resources for other things.

Hope this helps.

Weave
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah thx for replying...so at least the feature has been requested, or hopefully memblock functions could be used to do it. Hopefully we`ll see seek to position in the file playing also but again maybe solvable with memblocks.

Shaders can be used to load sounds too can they not? That may be a solution to changing a wavs sound level or play position...setmusicfilevolume() I find not to work in 107 although setmusicsystemvolume() does work-(only one mp3 playable at a time!)

Whilst on the subject does anyone know if purchasing the `91% Off - Dark Game Studio Bonanza` includes AppGameKit (which would get me access to 1089 updates etc)? Also is the documentation up to date ie command lists as I hear this product has weekly updates!

Thx
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2013 17:01
I've no experience in shaders. You might want to look for a thread about shaders and ask about that there. However, I'm pretty sure that shaders are not used to affect music. On the other hand there are shaders that are affected by music (I imagine this is a principle that was used in Beat Hazard along with particles).

I don't see where AppGameKit is part of the Dark Game Studio Bonanza. If it is I would suggest scooping it up in a second. Dark BASIC is pretty solid and has tons of tools. It is great for learning game development and where many of us here started.

App Game Kit has frequent updates which are free. The updates are not weekly, but I've seen 3 versions in the past 3-5 months. The team works extremely hard to keep it up to date, flush out bugs, and add new functionality. There is a new stable release planned soon. Also the documentation is up to date, but being that it is a new product it is a bit fragmented. There is an effort to maintain a wiki manual, but I find I cannot often find commands, which doesn't necessarily mean they're not there, but I just couldn't find them in the search. Though, I'm pretty sure they aren't there. The wiki will hopefully some day include examples.

The online manual by The Game Creators and manual that come with the product is pretty good. There's not a lot of examples, but it is easy to navigate and you can type a function name in the IDE then hit F5 to look up its parameters and definition. The most difficult part is guides to build your game into an Android APK, Windows MSI, or iOS APP are not perfected and often take some troubleshooting. I believe this is common with multiplatform development kits. This process IS getting easier with every build and after your first couple times of fumbling through it you'll get the hang of it.

There are two guides to learning AGK. One is from Digital Skills UK and is called Hands On AppGameKit BASIC. It will familiarize you with the commands and their use as well as game programming techniques. Through the guide you'll make many mini games which you can use as a basis for full fledged games. The guide is updated for free by the author and can be found here:
http://digital-skills.co.uk/order.html
The author tells me he will be releasing a free sample of the book soon so that you can see the quality before you buy.

The second guide is Teach Yourself AppGameKit and guides you through the process of making a simple game. The first six chapters are free when you buy AGK.
http://www.thegamecreators.com/news/2013/03/teach-yourself-agk-on-kindle/
The game that you make with this guide can be seen here.

I hope this info helps!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 10:01:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 10:01:21