Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Google AdMob Banner Size

Author
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I am trying to figure out exactly how the Google Admob ad sizes work. My app uses a set aspect ratio, and I've ran the app on 3 different devices (all of which have different resolutions). On all 3 devices the ad banner appeared a different size.

Sean

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2013 13:11
On AdMob, it says the banner size is 'Typically' 320x50. I have only tested this on 1 device, but the fact it says typically suggests that it may vary...

I'm not sure if you are aware, but you have several options on AdMob where you can select the ad size. I haven't played around with this yet, but if you hover over your app in AdMob and click configure, you are able to select the ad size...
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I've found it can be difficult to determine the true size depending on your device. On a low resolution device (e.g., iPhone 3 @ 320x480) it appears to be 320x50, but if you run it on a retina display the resolution will be doubled so it is 100px high. This can make positioning elements around it more complicated, would be great if there was a GetAdWidth() and GetAdHeight() command to return the precise dimensions on whatever device it is running on.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "would be great if there was a GetAdWidth() and GetAdHeight()"

Not sure if that would really help, I've found that the differences in size between devices can be quite big. If the ad is to big on one device you might not have enough room to fit everything on screen, if it's to small on another device you might have to much room which could result in an "empty" looking app.

Sean

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2013 01:11
In my experience the AdMob ads are always 320x50 in device coordinates, but this is not guaranteed. So on an iPad they appear small but on an iPhone they fill the width of the screen in portrait mode. Although this is workable I don't think it's ideal so I'm actually thinking if we could do full screen ads using the type parameter in CreateAdvert. These are actually recommended over banner ads anyway so it might be a better approach.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Although this is workable I don't think it's ideal "

At the moment, the app I'm working is "ad-less" because on some devices the ad would be to big and "bleed" onto the app's UI. I was going to switch over to Inneractive for now (would much rather be using AdMob though), but there seems to be a bug with Inneractive ads appearing.

Sean

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 13:02:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 13:02:07