Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] What happens when pirates play a game development simulator and then go bankrupt because of piracy?

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 18:29
Quote: "If I ever make something worth releasing I will let players pay what they want, but that is my choice, no one has the right to force their preferred system onto others."

That is a very logical and relevant stance.

-Keith

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 18:33
Quote: "Weird how people actually want to get paid for their work. So they can do silly things like feed themselves and their families."

Not complaining about that in particular - I'm complaining about the ridiculous punishment for piracy, compared to - i dunno, assaulting other human beings.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 18:35
Quote: "Not complaining about that in particular - I'm complaining about the ridiculous punishment for piracy, compared to - i dunno, assaulting other human beings"

Ah; I can agree with that.

-Keith

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 18:36 Edited at: 3rd May 2013 18:45
Quote: "If you can't engage in civilized debate (and it's evident that some people here can't)"

The fact is you act a passive role which is very transparent, your not playing Devil's Advocate your simply doing what you always do...trolling. I repeatedly responded to you and you chose to ignore it again and again. This is very irritating, if you cant understand whats being said thats fine but I suspect your deliberately ignoring it, since I believe your intelligent enough when it suits you.

If you think I am responding in an uncivilised manner here feel free e-mail me and we'll really get into it.

I don't trip over...I do random gravity checks.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 18:40 Edited at: 3rd May 2013 18:44
Quote: "If something's not yours (meaning someone else made it/owns it/etc.), and you take it..then it's absolutely theft. There is no other way around it."

But what I'm saying is that you're not taking it in the traditional sense.

Quote: "You're not playing devil's advocate at all"

Well then, I think your psychic powers are failing you. Some people might be content with not asking questions (religious people, for example), but I'm not. I've always questioned things and I always will. Science (and the modern world itself) is built on people that question things, and I'd expect that to be accepted on a programming forum such as this.

And now that I've explicitly stated that I'm playing devil's advocate and debating for the sake of knowing, maybe we can continue this in a civilized way?

Quote: "Weird how people actually want to get paid for their work. So they can do silly things like feed themselves and their families."

Wait, you're saying piracy is worse than raping someone? I'd hope not. What he meant was that for some reason if you steal money you're likely to get a higher sentence than (for example) rape, or even murder in some cases. Which I agree is wrong.

Quote: "You get a torrent or crack for a piece of software because tech support won't help or the software does not work then it is morally wrong- plain and simple"

Is it really morally wrong though? I'm not talking about the law here, I'm talking about ethics. Just because something is illegal (possession of marijuana for example), does not mean that it's immoral.

Quote: "your not playing Devil's Advocate your simply doing what you always do"

Really, is this how you respond in debates when someone asks a question you don't like? If I'm not correctly understanding your explanation then perhaps someone else could try to explain it to me, there's no need to get nasty.

Just to clarify for a second time, I do share the same view as most of you, and I think people deserve compensation for their creations, material or otherwise. I just felt a debate would be insightful. I fail to see how asking questions and arguing points counts as 'trolling' unless you think every person should share the same view.

If you are unsure what a particular area will do then please consult the Assistance Table at the bottom of this page.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Really, is this how you respond in debates when someone asks a question you don't like? If I'm not correctly understanding your explanation then perhaps someone else could try to explain it to me, there's no need to get nasty."

I am going to simply drop this now, you are far too childish for me to handle...grow up dude.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 18:52 Edited at: 3rd May 2013 18:55
Quote: "I am going to simply drop this now, you are far too childish for me to handle...grow up dude."

How? All I've been doing is conducting a civil debate - albeit with some misunderstandings - but you're calling me out for being a troll. I'm responding in kind.

Will this debate get back on track or will it go the way of the dodo? I have a feeling the latter.

When was the forum's last debate that didn't end in a lock?

If you are unsure what a particular area will do then please consult the Assistance Table at the bottom of this page.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 18:55
Quote: "Quote: "Weird how people actually want to get paid for their work. So they can do silly things like feed themselves and their families."

Wait, you're saying piracy is worse than raping someone? I'd hope not. What he meant was that for some reason if you steal money you're likely to get a higher sentence than (for example) rape, or even murder in some cases. Which I agree is wrong."

What are you talking about? That statement has NOTHING to do with what I was responding to.

Quote: "Really, is this how you respond in debates when someone asks a question you don't like?"

This is how I respond to a person who's made it a habit of inflaming users around here, badmouthing TGC products and the Moderators here. In this instance, you're not playing Devil's Advocate at all (no matter how you try and mince other people's words), you're just trolling.

-Keith

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 18:56 Edited at: 3rd May 2013 18:57
Quote: "for example, i know the punishment for piracy can be UP TO 5 YEARS in prison, and MILLIONS to pay back - whilst, say a rapist + physical assault gets 3 years and about 6,5k to pay back (dollars)

Is this a good rights system?"

In vodka country compensation for piracy:
- double (or more) price for illegal copy + destruction of copies and hardware
- from $300 up to $140 000 (as court agrees) + destruction of copies and hardware, but that is more likely when illegal copy used in buisenss

rapist + assault = up to 10 years + up to 2 years of restriction

Jail is for criminals and killers, for "electronic" thieves is only fine should be.

«Just because you’re unique, doesn’t mean you’re useful»
«If you contributed to the reason for locking, you may now find yourself on moderation, or in extreme cases in the grave»
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
You aren't conducting a debate at all. Let me tell you why....you post a question....fine
You receive an answer..you dont respond to it you simply witter on with the same question and in then claim your question wasn't answered.
I know your smarter than that so I can only assume your trolling.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 18:58 Edited at: 3rd May 2013 19:02
Quote: "What are you talking about? That statement has NOTHING to do with what I was responding to."

Sorry, I thought you were responding to the quote about the unfairness of the law.

Quote: "This is how I respond to a person who's made it a habit of inflaming users around here, badmouthing TGC products and the Moderators here."

Regardless of whether I'm 'trolling' (which brings the meaning of the word to a new level) I think it's a valid debate.

Quote: " In this instance, you're not playing Devil's Advocate at all (no matter how you try and mince other people's words), you're just trolling."

Please don't play ignorant just because you don't want to debate. If you don't want to debate, fine; we share the same views anyway, you don't have to "win me over" or anything.

Quote: "I know your smarter than that so I can only assume your trolling."

I simply didn't feel it was a satisfactory answer (perhaps I just didn't understand it). As it happens I do agree with what you're saying, but people (me especially) find it hard to put into words why it is bad, which is why I think it's an interesting debate. It is really about semantics I guess. I find it rather surreal that it turned into such an argument from just a series of questions.

I give up, if people are going to bully me simply for debating then there's no point. If a mod wants to delete my posts and the relevant posts in this discussion, that might put the thread back on its original track.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Your problem is, your reasonably intelligent so you believe you can stay play cat and mouse, but where your failing is by insulting others intelligence, whatever you think people are not fools Benjamin.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 19:06 Edited at: 3rd May 2013 19:06
Quote: "Your problem is, your reasonably intelligent so you believe you can stay play cat and mouse, but where your failing is by insulting others intelligence"

You've made a false assumption. I realise you are a software developer and you feel very passionately about this issue, and so do I. But I don't personally feel that a couple of points have been properly addressed, and short of misunderstanding your point I don't think you gave a satisfactory answer for why copying is theft.

Can we all cool down now?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-23 02:43:49
Your offset time is: 2024-06-23 02:43:49