Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Unknown Directory on SD Card

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2013 21:19
Issue number 367 claims to be fixed now (Oct 18th). This was the issue where when saving files etc, it would create an Unknown directory in an AppGameKit folder on the SD Card. I've just tried this again (I'm using v108b9) and the issue still persists...

Do I need to do anything differently to ensure this saves to the 'App' directory and not this 'Unknown' directory?
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 04:31
I don't think there is anything you can do.
I think it depends on the version of Android the device is running.
On my Nexus the AppGameKit apps get a directory like all other apps. On my HTC dinc2 running Android 2.3 all I get is an "Unknown" directory and a few other AppGameKit games I've installed all do the same thing.

I'll repost issue 367 in the bug thread. It must have creeped back in somehow...

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 11:46
Hello Naphier, I had a conversation with Paul regarding this. Apparently AppGameKit uses the App Directory by default. However, if for some reason it couldn't find the directory, it falls back to the AGK/Unknown folder... Paul didn't mention what these 'some reasons' could be. But I think the only option we have is to ensure our files are unique to the application.

For example, Horse Meat Inspectors created a file called ‘Highscores.txt’ this is obviously going to be very common. If I downloaded another app from AppGameKit where they have used the same file name, they would conflict...

To be on the safe side, I'm just going to add something to ensure its unique, i.e. 'HCHigscores.txt' (Happy Chick Highscores). At least this then reduces the chance of a conflict...
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 15:51
Thanks for sharing that!
I think conflict is a big enough reason to try to get it fixed. Plus it just tempts users to delete it or mess with it.
It should at least fall back to AGK/*packagename* in my opinion.
Also it is odd that the root/data/*packagename* directory actually exists for the same app using the unknown directory, it just has nothing in it's media folder... Maybe this has something to do with permissions? I'm not sure, but non-AGK apps don't have this issue.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 17:12
Quote: "On my Nexus the AppGameKit apps get a directory like all other apps."

Where are you finding this directory? I cannot find it on my Nexus (or any other Android device for that matter).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 17:22
It's in
root/data/data/*packagename*
You can then drill down into files/media to see the saved files for an AppGameKit app.
If you want to find the actual APK for any app you can find it in
root/data/app

The directories are similar on other android devices. This does require root access.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 17:24 Edited at: 3rd May 2013 17:25
As Naphier said, I suspect this is something to do with either the device and/or the Android Version. My old S2 phone creates an unknown directory where as my shiny new S4 does not...

The 'Unknown' directory is found under 'My Files/AGK/Unknown'...

EDIT: Ninja'd...
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 17:41
Quote: "This does require root access."

That's the rub. I don't want to root my Android devices. I want them in the same state that most users keep them.

And I don't want to do anything to void my warranties (especially on my new phone).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 18:03
I don't think rooting the Nexus 7 voids its warranty. It has a ton of built in developer tools that are accessible only after unlocking it.

Rooting will not change the state of the device in any way that would affect the behavior of an AppGameKit app (unless of course you've written the AppGameKit app to need root access to browse the root directory). Installing a mod or flashing a new ROM might change the behavior, but I'd not recommend that and it is not needed to root the device.

You simply unlock the device and boot into a recovery ROM to install SuperUser so you can allow apps to have root access. This can be undone with less time than it took to root it.

My wife's Nexus 7 was rooted when she sent it in for replacement (the USB port broke) and they never asked a question about it.

I rooted my Kindle Fire and unrooted it (almost as easily) before I sold it. You cannot tell the difference.

I too was very cautious about rooting until I tried it a couple of times. The Nexus 7 is very root friendly because Google WANTS you to use it as a development tool (same with the other Nexus devices I've heard).

Oh course, it is still your prerogative, but as a developer you may find that it comes in extremely handy. There's a ton of benchmarking tools on the Nexus 7 that can really help out.
I imagine that you have to have it unlocked to Run APKs from Eclipse to it... otherwise I think you can still just Export the APK every time and copy it to the device to install it. But that could become very tedious in a testing environment. I do understand not doing this to a new phone though, the phone's got a sim card which they don't want anyone to access ever.

@Funnell7

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 18:26
Quote: "I imagine that you have to have it unlocked to Run APKs from Eclipse to it."

Not in any way that I noticed. I just connect my Nexus and Samsung via USB and Eclipse sees them.

I'll look into this for my Nexus. Sounds like it would be okay on that device.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 00:04:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 00:04:40