Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / X Flight [FULL GAME FOR FREE]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2013 15:58 Edited at: 14th May 2013 21:32
This was inspired by the best pc game ever made: Starflight by Binary Systems, EA. It's loosely based on the mechanics of the game, but has a completely different storyline and look-and-feel.

v1.0.4b
Please download, play, and comment. This is NOT a big production game, but I worked hard to make it.

The fastest code is the code never written.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2013 14:05
I have tried to download it a few times now, I keep getting an "unexpected end of archive" error when opening your zip.
it contains your folders and media but no exe.

I want to play it.

I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are just missing.
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2013 21:36 Edited at: 14th May 2013 21:49
Sorry. I re-uploaded it. Try it again. If it still doesn't work try this link:https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BySKIgkx3OcbdV9obUlEWVZIUWM&export=download&pli=1
It should work.... I have had issues with TGC uploads.

The .exe is in "x flight game/x flight" folder. You can put the directory anywhere. I didn't make an install program, so you need to execute the game file from the directory. (you can make a shortcut if you want though)

Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2013 00:07
Nice game so far, I landed on a planet and drove around picking up minerals

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the comment. I worked solo for about 9 months on it. Have you ever played Star Flight? It was the first game I actually finished and inspired me about space travel as a youth.....

qwedsa
Years of Service
User Offline
the GUI system and how you can explore planets is fantastic

great job

if you go out beyond the solar system does it procedurally generate landscapes/worlds? if so you could make a virtually infinite universe. add a few inhabited planets (with alien vehicles), some artifacts and hidden maps/coordinates, and this could turn into a game well worth $20 or more
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, the "universe" is limited to 1000 stars. I DID generate the 1000 stars and planets randomly and procedurally. The game is finished, but I am working on either a sequal or a remake. So, hopefully, I can make this next one better: fully 3D space sim and will have a first-person component. This one will be a full-immersion game with no "transitions"-- this means that when you go from your ship into a space station, you actually "walk" from inside your ship to the interior of the space station...... This will be done everywhere in the universe.....

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2013 20:21
Hey my friend congratulations on this one

I was playing around with the initial version and it was really addictive as Starflight was

Great job!!!

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Morcilla. How is your simulation software coming along? Have you been able to market it yet?

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 02:25 Edited at: 25th Jun 2013 03:08
It plays the music, then I pick New Game, and it crashes.

EDIT: OK I got it to work by picking a new screen resolution. Now it plays, but when I press Ctrl I don't get an arrow above my ship to follow.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
That's strange. Make sure that "pointer.png" and "pointer2.png" are valid images located in the "images" folder. I don't understand why it wouldn't show.....
Make sure you have something selected first. While in "system space" you must have one of the planets in that system selected and in "galaxy space" you must have a star selected for it to work. Other than those things, I don't know what could cause it.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 21:52 Edited at: 25th Jun 2013 21:55
It could be that I am missing some instructions before I press Ctrl. It says move to the edge of the screen, and then I can't read the rest... On the next page it says that I am now in Galaxy space, but I don't know how I got to Galaxy Space.

Attachments

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't anticipate such a low resolution when I was doing the tutorial. You should be able to move the menu group up some and you should be able to read it. Here is the full text for that page just in case you can't drag it up high enough:
Quote: " ,"Time to get out there! Click [Launch]. This puts you in \"system space\". You don't use fuel puttering around a system, but you will when launching/landing on planets and "
"flying around the galaxy. You will see your home planet and your ship and the star dock. In the lower left corner of the screen there is a circular map of the solar system. "
"It show the star in the center, the planets whith their respective orbits and the green dot is your ship. When you are close to a planet, the green dot will cover the planet's "
"dot. We know from the star map that our destination's relative direction is to the right and up a little, so click and hold in that direction and your ship will move. The further "
"the mouse is from your ship, the faster your ship will go (up to its max). Notice that the green dot in the system mini-map moves as your ship moves. Fly to the edge of the map "
"and you will transition into galaxy space. STOP once you exit the system."
"

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2013 14:52 Edited at: 27th Jun 2013 14:55
Thanks! I can't drag the text box at all. I always play games in 1024,768 even if they are commercial games.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Now I have got to the part where you disembark your Rover, and the Rover is always lost. So I can't disembark.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you have a rover? Did you crash? If you crashed your ship, the rover can become damaged beyond repair (this is unlikely). Go to the [Damage Report] button and see what it says about your rover. It SHOULD be there even if you crashed. If not, did you ever land on any planet and rove around until it ran out of energy causing you to have to walk to the ship? You start out with a rover and can only "loose" it 2 ways: run out of energy, or crash and damage it so its below 1%.

I just downloaded the exact file and ran the game. Went straight to the planet you are supposed to go to, and tried to crash the ship to cause the rover to die. I lost my engines (this is bad) but my rover survived..... You may have a corrupt game initialization. I've NEVER seen that before (EVER) in my testing, but if that's the case, just try starting over. If you do start over, make sure you check the [Shipyard]. Under the last tab of the box is [Cargo]. At the bottom you should see "Rover 1/1". If you see (0/1), then you don't have a rover..... Don't know how this could happen. Let me know what you find.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2013 02:39 Edited at: 28th Jun 2013 02:41
I think it's the resolution. That my rover crashes on a hill or something because Of the resolution. Try the game in 1024 * 768. I can't use the default resolution. I already started 3 times, and the same thing happens every time.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I just tried it at 1024x768 with no issues. What do you mean you can't use the default resolution? When you start the game for the first time it defaults to the resolution of your Window's desktop AND the title/main menu are also set to that as well EVERY time you start the game (just in case the resolution you selected doesn't work, you can change it in the main menu).

Does it show that you actually have a rover? You CAN'T "crash" your rover on anything. What planet are you landing on? Give me a screen shot of the terrain while out of the ship.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2013 13:38 Edited at: 28th Jun 2013 14:05
Quote: "What do you mean you can't use the default resolution? When you start the game for the first time it defaults to the resolution of your Window's desktop AND the title/main menu are also set to that as well EVERY time you start the game (just in case the resolution you selected doesn't work, you can change it in the main menu)."

Maybe you didn't understand my first post. The default first resolution crashed the game to windows (send report, don't send report). I then chose a resolution 1024 * 768 and the game didn't crash. 1024 * 768 is my desktop resolution so that wasn't the default resolution that crashed.

Quote: "Does it show that you actually have a rover? You CAN'T "crash" your rover on anything. What planet are you landing on? Give me a screen shot of the terrain while out of the ship."

Attachments

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Was I supposed to buy a Rover at the beginning of the game, because those instructions may have scrolled off the bottom of the page as well.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 06:16 Edited at: 29th Jun 2013 06:18
You should have started with a rover. Look at your [Damage Control] menu to see the rover's status. Here is an image showing what you should see (though not at the same time) when you select [Damage Control] (top of the image) and the [Cargo] tab under [Shipyard] while in stardock.

EDIT: hahahaha.... My cursor is covering up the "1/1" for the rover.

Attachments

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 12:03 Edited at: 29th Jun 2013 12:04
Oh right. I get shields, weapons, and Rover N/A, but I have never been damaged by anything.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
The only solution I have for you is to start over and make sure you have a rover before you leave starport (buy one if you have to).

You SHOULDN'T have to do that, but apparently there's a glitch in the game. I have never heard anyone with this same problem..... This is a conundrum......

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
So I restarted the game, and I had a Rover, but when I created my Crew my Rover changed to N/A, and when I tried to buy a new one it didn't work.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't know what to say..... I've tried this as many ways as I can, but I can't get the results to duplicate. Save the game just before you create your crew. Create you crew (see if it still has the problem) and save it under a different save. Send me both save games and maybe I can figure out what's going on...... Sorry for the troubles.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 22:10 Edited at: 29th Jun 2013 22:11
It happens when I delete Bob. I didn't bother adding the rest of the crew for this test. Here are the saves...

Attachments

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
OK. Unfortunately I removed DGDK from my pc. I have a work-around for you:
-don't delete the first crew member in the list until you have removed him/her from all "crew assignments".
--example:
-don't delete Bob yet.
-create a crew member. You can delete this crew member and create a new one until you get one you like.
-assign that crew member to all the "crew assignments".
-delete Bob.

As long as the first crew member in the list is not assigned to ANYTHING in your [Crew Assignments] menu, it shouldn't cause this problem.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
OK I'll try that then.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Now I got to the part where I hail the ship, but when I end communications I am in a permanent hailed loop, and the blue ring remains around the ship, and I can't fly away from it.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
That's just the way it works. When you are done talking, just fly to the edge of the "encounter area" and you will transition back to where you were just before it (this time it happens to be that you orbit the planet). The encounter area has a radar circle at the top right of the screen. Just go in one direction until you leave the circle.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The ship doesn't fly, it is locked in place.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Make sure you don't have the "pause" on (pressing the space bar causes it to pause/unpause). The only other thing is that your engines may have been destroyed (this is not supposed to happen in the first encounter).

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 08:04
This game is really in-depth! I've been playing for an hour and haven't even scratched the surface. The GUI leaves something to be desired, but that is the only flaw I can find.

Interesting timeline you've got there. No FTL travel until after year 3100? I hope things work out better than that.
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
hahaha. I just came up with a random future date. Hint: you should have noticed right off the bat that you're not starting from Earth......

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 00:15
I'm confused now. If you're not starting off from Earth (although it certainly looks like an Earth-like planet) and this is the first use of warp drives, and the guy who tells you your mission is human, then how did humanity arrive at this planet? Did they take some other slow 15-year (or perhaps 150 year) trip hundreds of years prior? Also, is the year on the Christian calendar or some other calendar? Is this like Battlestar Galactica where Earth is the end destination?
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
The term "human" is the common name for "what we are". This will become more clear as the game progresses. The calendar year is a reference number for "when we started counting the years". So, you *could* say that on this planet, the beings call themselves "human" and they started counting years 3148 years ago.....

Don't be confused by "human". If you were raised on any planet in any solar system, with no "external" knowledge, your people would have developed a language and the term you use for describing "what you are" would (could) translate in Earth's English language to mean "human"....... I hope that makes sense.

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 02:58
But the guy! He has two arms, two legs, and hair! Is there any tie-in with Earth?
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes. Play through the game and you will understand.

TheKid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 09:06
This is really nice! Great programming man.
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks.

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 4th Aug 2013 05:58 Edited at: 4th Aug 2013 10:04
OK, now I'm getting really pissed. I recommended a planet for colonization, got fined 25,000 credits for it being uninhabitable, then I could barely afford enough fuel for a one way trip, so I went anyways, collected a sh*t ton of resources at whatever ruins site or whatever (nice voice acting by the way), then some alien blows up a ship and I'm talking to him, and I can't save or anything and can't fly away, so I don't know what to do. So, I give it a break and work on another project while the game is running, and I have to open the task manager and when I do, the game just crashes.

EDIT: OK, I think I've got a better grasp of how this wors. After half an hour of trying to increase my fuel with a hex editor, I think I could just restart my campaign. It shouldn't take too long to get back to where I was. A word of advice: People don't like to get stuck. On-screen instructions, ways to salvage your ship when it runs out of fuel, things like that help to ease the pain.
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2013 14:52 Edited at: 4th Aug 2013 14:54
Resources are supposed to be scarce. There is a "fuel usage" estimate on your starmap near the top right under the description of what star you selected.
Quote: "ways to salvage your ship when it runs out of fuel"

Remember? "You have the first 'faster than light' ship"..... There is no one to save you if you run out of fuel. In space no one can see you flagging down a tow truck.

Planet recommendations aren't hard. In the main menu is a tab for instructions under "Options". In that, there are the recommend planet criteria. Most of the time, if it says "Earth-like", then its ok--with a few exceptions: check the gravity and check the global temp.

By the way, did you talk to the ship that saved your life? It's kind of important....

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 4th Aug 2013 15:02 Edited at: 4th Aug 2013 15:49
Ehh, it's so complicated. The fuel estimate is a good thing. I didn't know about that. As for the planet recommendations, I was just being a jerk and recommended something close to Mercury, but I didn't know it was such a big deal. I mean, if you can land, you can colonize. I did talk to the other ship (although I didn't know it saved my life, being that they moved so fast I couldn't tell them apart), and all I got out of it was that they're a proud race of tentacle-faced freaks who have a grudge against "the ancients". Sort of reminds me of Stargate. I am now starting over and trying not to get my space credits confiscated.

EDIT: OK, now it's starting to remind me of Oblivion (the movie). A human in a stasis pod? Maybe he's from Earth.
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Keep going. You're on the right track. Don't forget to explore A LOT. Talk to the aliens you encounter because they can give you some Easter Eggs too. Be careful, because before too long you will start encountering pirates within the different races, so you will want to have firepower to back you up when you decide not to pay them.....

To make a lot of money, recommend planets. Some planets have an abundance of precious minerals like platinum or silver.... Have fun.

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 5th Aug 2013 06:43 Edited at: 5th Aug 2013 06:59
Wow, this is getting really interesting. I like how the story unfolds naturally as you discover artifacts and such. I now face a very challenging riddle about a horseshoe and a shimmering ball. I assume that the shimmering ball is a gravitationally rounded object and the horseshoe is some kind of U-shaped formation in space (I didn't find any Earth-like planets at the bottom of the U-shaped cloud), and there are hints that the first clue would be on a high-oxygen Earth-like planet, but it's very cryptic. The most abundant thing would be empty space, I assume, and directions like "up" and "right" are cardinal. I wonder what the horseshoe is.

Attachments

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
If you get stuck Dr. Tolo will eventually give you the answer on the one's that are critical to the main plot. You have the right idea about the clues. The "horseshoe" IS a formation in space. Just keep looking.

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 8th Aug 2013 10:49
I couldn't figure this out to save my life! Dr. Tolo gave me the coordinates for a star system, and the clues tell me to go to the 3rd planet (5th orbit). However, when I get to that planet, I don't know where to go. I assume I have to land on the planet, but it's so big I could spend months landing at every possible location. "Go up (north) with what you need (oxygen) and right (east) with what is most abundant." What is most abundant on that planet? Snow? Is it a visible light map? In that case, I can't see where the densest oxygen deposits are. There are lifeforms all over it. I assume there is a building somewhere, but my artifact doesn't indicate there are any ruins.
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Try minerals.....

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 8th Aug 2013 22:03
I don't feel like I'm getting any warmer. Are those letters along the center? It sort of looks like "T TuHvE Y u Y". Maybe it's supposed to be some alien lettering that I can't read. If I am supposed to land on the planet at all, I assume that I have to land on the planet where there is a nickel deposit. However, I don't know how to go "up" (north) with/from oxygen. If I decrease the sensitivity of the scan, I still get about 200 equally bright flashing mineral deposits.

Attachments

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Are those letters along the center?"

What?

Sorry, I had to look at the exact riddle to remember what it meant. Try only what's in the atmosphere to get the coordinates. BTW, some of the ruins are not readily visible when you exit the ship, but they are never too far away from the landing site.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:49:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:49:01