Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Google Play Game Services - New cross-platform highscore, multiplayer and achievement system

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just announced at I/O...

"Create great game experiences with Google Play game services. Add achievements, leaderboards, and real-time multiplayer to your mobile and web games, and let players share their gaming experience with friends."

Drive engagement with leaderboards

* Let players compare their scores with friends using social leaderboards.

* Automatic support for daily, weekly, and all-time high scores.

Build real-time multiplayer games for Android

* Bring players together with the addition of real-time gameplay to your title.

* Create competitive and cooperative experiences using Google+ Circles and auto-matched players online.

Reward players with achievements

* Encourage users to explore your game in new and interesting ways.

* Full support for secret achievements and incremental achievements.

Seamlessly store progress with Cloud Save

* A player can start a game on their Android phone and continue where they left off on her tablet, web browser, or iOS device.

* Simple API calls make Cloud Save easy and assist with conflict management.

Provide an easy social experience with sign-in

* Skip account creation forms and let users sign in with one of the 500 million Google+ accounts.

* Use Google+ circles to help users compare their game progress with the people they care about.

Defend your turf with anti-piracy

* Optional anti-piracy features for Android can disable game services for titles not purchased from the Play Store.

Full details and API documentation at: https://developers.google.com/games/services/
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2013 01:20
Well that's a confusing name, since Google Play is also their music service now. I guess it makes about as much sense as calling their OS the same name as their browser....

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 17th May 2013 08:52
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2013 15:29
Since both Android and iOS now have these features. Making your own does not seem like a good idea now. Well, PC/Mac is still left out.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2013 17:26
It looks like the Google Play service works with both Android and iOS. Which would make it easy to code for both without having to worry about platform.

But I suspect it will only be usable to Tier 2 coders unless/until TGC sets up to use it in AGK.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2013 17:48
@ Phaelax
Google Play is the umbrella name for their app, book, movie, and music store. It will now have a bunch of sub-services like Google Play All Access which is the new music service and Google Play Game Services (not a very catchy name). The similar names are typical with branding multiple services under a single umbrella. The reason for branding like this is to allow expansion of services under a single name. For example, we may one day see Google Play All Access that not only provides a subscription based music service, but also gives you the option for books and magazines. I agree it is a little awkward, but from a marketing standpoint I see the effectiveness of branding.

An interesting move here is that apparently Google Play Game Services will also work on iOS.
http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/15/why-google-play-game-services-works-on-ios/
This will be a great boon to devs like us!

Now what we need is Google Cloud Messaging to also work with iOS. Unfortunately this is likely a pipe dream since Apple hates Google so much. What I found funny was that a lot of the presenters at the conference were using Macbooks...

I've been using Google Play All Access for a couple of days. It's OK. I doubt I'll pay $8/mo for it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 01:28:05
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 01:28:05