Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Should I give the AGK lib to the client?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 16:51
I made a game for a client. He asked the project, should I give the AppGameKit lib to him? Should he buy it?

The Miracrea Games
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 17:19
Your client should buy it.

I'm betting that the license for AppGameKit specifically says that you may not provide the library and source code to anyone else.

Did your original contract with the client include providing the code for the game? If not, then you should negotiate a separate price for it. Once your client has the code, he can use it as an example for creating his own games. But, if that was part of the original contract, no sweat. He still needs to buy his own copy of AGK.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2013 20:06 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2013 20:07
Source code is always a big problem if not discussed before.
Client will usually put a clause that all files related to the project, built during the project time are propriety of the client.
However the word Source Code is never mentioned.

Then as soon as the project is done, the client requests the source code! Oh so he knew what source code was!

And then the problems start, because maybe 40% of the code is made up of routines you wrote 1 year ago!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2013 20:27 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2013 20:28
Many of my web clients have benefited from classes I created for my own initial use.

Since the web sites are all PHP/Javascript/CSS based, it is necessary to include the source code. I make sure to put disclaimer bits at the top stating that the code is a modified version of the company files and for the use of the client only.

EDIT: But in the case of an executable like a Tier 1 project, unless specifically mentioned, the client is not entitled to the original code files.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 20:56:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 20:56:34