Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / App Game Kit 108 Beta 13

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 23:55 Edited at: 11th Jun 2013 00:12
Beta 13 is now available for download from the products section.

Change log

It also comes with some help file changes you might like

The examples section is still work in progress so expect more things from it soon. You can also test them out online here
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 00:03 Edited at: 11th Jun 2013 00:06
Sweet. Thanks Paul, updating now.

EDIT: is the new android player being updated on the market too?
pprem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 00:10
good job

--
Patrick P.
http://www.gamolf.fr
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 00:12 Edited at: 11th Jun 2013 00:31
Wow - my frame rate just dropped by about 10%???

EDIT: I've recompiled and run in beta 12 again, then again in 13, then again in 12 and again in 13 - every time scrolling my map in beta 12 the PC framerate stays at a constant 60fps, in every case of beta 13 it drops as low as 36 fps.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 00:30
Ah, the Windows interpreter is the debug version since that was the last version I compiled in my testing. I've taken the beta down and will upload it with the release version, will take about 30 minutes.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 00:31
Ah cool, no problem. Glad you weren't knocking off for an early night. Lol
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 00:33
I like the tips section
Its easy to forget some of them

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 00:34
@Cliff,

Not tried the tips section, but the help overall is way better than before, top quality work from the gang on that.
StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 00:59
This latest update is NOT showing up in my products page, just the ios player update.. Please fix this and get it re-added to my product page.. Thank you..

Ken aka StOrM3

[PKE] Pain Killa Entertainment(tm) [PKE]
[PKE] Of All The Things I've Lost..[PKE]
[PKE] I Miss My Mind The Most! [PKE]
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 01:00
is the compiler retro-compatible with the 1.076? Is the array declaration with values supported?

Otherwise it is no use for me to download the new beta.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 01:04
@StOrM3,

If you look through the posts, the latest beta is down for about 30 mins, it's not available to anyone. Paul assures it should be back in about 30 mins, and that was nearly 30 mins ago.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
@ St0rM3
Quote: "Ah, the Windows interpreter is the debug version since that was the last version I compiled in my testing. I've taken the beta down and will upload it with the release version, will take about 30 minutes. "

swis
Interstellar
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 01:09
Upload is back up with the correct windows interpreter file.

Quote: "is the compiler retro-compatible with the 1.076"

You cannot use the 1076 player with the 108.13 compiler, but it should compile the same source code, if not let me know.

Quote: "Is the array declaration with values supported?"

You can do
in 108.13
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 09:05 Edited at: 11th Jun 2013 09:24
@ MarcoBruti

I have just tried the new Beta 108.13 and unfortunately the error still exists when using the example shown on the help page for the Dim command

dim myValues [ 3 ] as string = [ "abc", "def", "ghi" ]

still produces a compile error.

However

dim myValues [ 3 ] as string = "abc", "def", "ghi"

Compiles correctly and works as expected .

@ Paul, please fix either the help file or complier syntax error, so as to avoid confusion.

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 10:34
ok thanks.
Of course the previous way of declaration was better, because more similar to other languages. Anyway better then before, I'll have to correct some lines, but it is a minor effor.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 17:08
So far so good! I'm also noticing that the alternative edit box is a lot less glitchy on my HTC Droid Incredible 2 (Android 2.3).
We can finally use single line array declarations again?!?
Awesome sauce.

The new timeout seems to be working like a charm too.

All I can ask for now is that we have a way to tell how much of the screen the keyboards take up when they are in use so that we can avoid using the alternate edit box.

There's still an issue with long presses on the keyboards for Android 2.3, but I've only been able to test on my HTC Droid Incredible 2. I'll make a thorough report later tonight when I have my wife's Droid X to test on too.

Excellent work, Paul!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 20:35
Life is good.

I have been able to build my WIP in Windows, Android, iOS and Mac.

And I have players for both iOS and Android.

And I have working templates across the board.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 20:57 Edited at: 11th Jun 2013 21:00
Oh yeah forgot to say that the prebuilt interpreter works perfect. Just needed to add in that android-support-v4.jar to the app package in Eclipse as a referenced library. No other issues!

Forgot! - The help file is soooo nice now. Thank you!!!!

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 00:17
Sorry to put water on the fire of your enthusiasm, but the compiler has a lot of strange behaviour:
This is not compiled:
dim levelPuzzle[12] = [0,9,9,8,8,7,7,7,6,5,4,3,2]

This is compiled:
dim levelPuzzle[12] =[0,9,9,8,8,7,7,7,6,5,4,3,2]

This is not compiled
dim levelPuzzle[12] as integer=[0,9,9,8,8,7,7,7,6,5,4,3,2]

This is compiled
dim levelPuzzle[12]=0,9,9,8,8,7,7,7,6,5,4,3,2

This is compiled
dim gameName$[3] as string = "","Classic Sudoku","Puzzle Sudoku","Arcade Sudoku"

This is not compiled
dim gameName$[3] = "","Classic Sudoku","Puzzle Sudoku","Arcade Sudoku"

Other strange things? Here you are:

This is not compiled:
cast_sprite=cast_sprite_left or cast_sprite_right or cast_sprite_center or (oy#>=94) or (omino.idx_mobile<>0) or (isOminoIntoFire)]/code]

This is compiled changing oy#>=94 into not ( oy#< 94)
cast_sprite=cast_sprite_left or cast_sprite_right or cast_sprite_center or ( not ( oy#<94) ) or (omino.idx_mobile<>0) or (isOminoIntoFire)

The compiler is still in an unpredictable state, it is of utmost importance to fix the compiler. Otherwise AppGameKit T1, in my opinion, is useless.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 00:33
@Paul,

Still getting the port issue when trying to broadcast, after it fails constantly on the first effort. The IDE still appears to be completing before the player on the mobile device is ready, then the device isn't stopping when if fails???

Pretty sure it's not my system, but any idea's I'm happy to try.

Never appeared until beta 11 - I have all the beta's but does anyone have a compiled android player so that I can go back to see if the problem is now present in the beta 10 release to rule out my system/AGK?
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 00:38
I'm also getting an odd array issue, but totally different to all others.

This code compiles fine:

but then gives the following error when the code part itself comes up: "Array accessed with too few subscripts at line 305". However if I change it slightly and use:

then it works without a problem. As you can see, it's exactly the same calculation??? Not a major issue as, like I said, using the two variables fixes it, but since you want a totally stable version thought I'd mention it.

It may just be something really stupid I'm doing of course. Lol.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 02:50
Unfortunately I didn't write the compiler so I don't know why most of it does what it does. It's a re-purposed version of the old DBP compiler so I'd like to rewrite it specifically for AppGameKit at some point but I guess that depends if we can justify spending that much time on it.

Quote: "Still getting the port issue when trying to broadcast"

Can you try the attached version of the beta 13 AppGameKit Player? I think I may have fixed it but since I don't get the error very often it's hard to tell.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 03:28
Paul,

Well, it works most of the time now. Lol. First time I tried it on the phone, failed to connect to IP. Second time no problem, third time no problem, then the froth I got the same error. Closed the player and when it reopened the error had changed to "Failed to listen on port 0", and it wouldn't do anything. Closed the player, opened and it worked a couple more time, then the message came back. This time opening and closing the app a few times did nothing and I had to leave the phone alone for about 5 mins, but then it seemed to reset and it worked again. Tablet seems to be working fine still too. So, this I can live with. Lol.

Could it be anything to do with the fact the phone is a Galaxy Note 2 and that has 2gb ram, so generally it holds quite a large number of apps cached in ram at any one time? Asking because the port error only went the second time after I exited the player and left the device for a couple of minutes.
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 05:16
Yes. closing apps after a lot of time should be a good choice :p (android 4.x can do it easily in one touch with the task manager). i experienced some android problems like these with the broadcast feature (and with other networked apps .. so it's not an AppGameKit problem i think).
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 17:37
Quote: "It's a re-purposed version of the old DBP compiler so I'd like to rewrite it specifically for AppGameKit at some point but I guess that depends if we can justify spending that much time on it."

Paul, it is not the matter to rewrite the compiler, but ask Lee or whoever created the compiler, to fix it in order to make it work at least as with 1.076.
I cannot create programs using such a buggy and unpredictable tool, I used tenths of programming tools, and it is the first time that syntax accepted by then compiler changes this way release by release.
See you again as you have fixed these problem, I'll roll back to 1.076, till then. In the meantime I'd like to concentrate on more reliable tools. Sorry.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 18:06
@MarcoBruti
why not change your code and
use CountStringTokens() + GetStringToken()
and set the values with a for next loop after dim.
your problem is gone and paul can look at it if he have time.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 18:55
MarcoBruti - Paul is asking Lee for some help now. Hopefully we can iron out these odd issues.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 22:39
@RickV: thanks. There is clearly an issue with the parser. If Paul is not in charge of the compiler, it is better to involve Lee. Consider that part (if not all) of these problems, did not exist in 1.076. You could roll-back to the 1.076 parser, but I suppose that you have changed something in the compiler/parser to speed up the compilation time. So the murderer is the butler, pardon the person who changed the compiler code. Am I a good Sherlock Holmes

@Markus, I suspect that you have not caught my points. I'll try to explain myself better. I do not think that the right way is to find out alternative way to write code to do the same functions. It is only a workaround.
The issue is that I do not want to find workarounds. The compiler is clearly broken. It is full of oddities. You add a space, and it does not compile. You remove the space and it compiles. You put a conditional expression and does not work. You change the expression and it works. The way to declare the array is very strange. It would be better to resurrect the old READ, DATA and RESTORE of traditional better, that to have such erratic behavior. Anyway I am sure the TGC will find a solution, AppGameKit is too a promising product to make it sink down in its infancy.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 04:58
Quote: "This is not compiled
dim levelPuzzle[12] as integer=[0,9,9,8,8,7,7,7,6,5,4,3,2]"

This is the correct format and will now work in the next version.

Quote: "Closed the player and when it reopened the error had changed to "Failed to listen on port 0""

Was there any more to that error, the full text should be "Failed to listen on port X, this socket is already listening on port Y". The code that produces that error always has a value assigned to the port so I can't see how it could be 0, unless Android cleared out some of the app's memory whilst it was in the background, which would make things difficult. If it stops working you can try force closing the app in the Android settings to clear everything out and start again.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 09:32
@MarcoBruti
i had understand you 100%.
also i wish that tomorrow all issues are past history
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 11:42
@Paul Super!
@Markus: thanks, I only want to help with my humble suggestions suggested by a little experience.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 20:03
Wow Paul, great image memory commands!!!
Now i can pass Obj C Images into AppGameKit!!!!!

Long life to Steve!
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 20:50
What is this??

Long life to Steve!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 20:59
Looks like something from Game Center, it's framework is called GameKit
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2013 00:37
@Paul,

Sorry, it says exactly "Failed to listen on port 5687, this socket is already listening on port 5687", then normally after you get this it changes to "Failed to listen on port 5687, this socket is already listening on port 0" and that's when you have to leave it for a minute. I've also noticed that when it does broadcast, now holding down the press at the top to quit the app freezes it for about 5 seconds then it closes altogether, but only in the one you asked me to try. Just tried again BTW, worked fine first time, got the "Failed to listen on port 5687, this socket is already listening on port 5687" the second time.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2013 19:42
Yes but why is there????
With the beta 12 it don't come out.
Please don't add thing that can contrast my game Center Multiplayer or i need to switch back again.

Long life to Steve!
Lost Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
I like that people can submit examples to the help library now. I hope people actually do it. Maybe there should be some incentive made to encourage that - like forum badges or something.

My project compiles fine with this version. Thanks.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2013 13:51
Ok i discovered that is not AppGameKit to send that message, and is the last addition i done, the INVITE handler.
All ok!!!
FiuuuuuUuuUUu!

Long life to Steve!
peterJBE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2013 23:50 Edited at: 17th Jun 2013 00:19
In my Tier 1 app I use the AppGameKit commands
-starttextinput/ gettextinput
-When I broadcast my app to the last AppGameKit player downloaded from Google Play all goes fine.
-When I build the prebuilt player, put it my device via Eclipse , ADB and I broadcast my app to my device all goes well too.
-But when I built my app, integrate it in the prebuilt player and put it on my device via Eclipse, ADB I have the following problem with the text commands:
when I type text with the virtual keyboard, the text is not shown in the textbox, I see some nonsense in a very small font in the textbox, the text I type is assigned correctly to a variable
I had this problem with a previous version of the player also when broadcasting; the small (TGC) textinput example program had this problem too, on my device.

I did all effort to reinstall beta 13 and deleted to the facebook and android interpreter prebuilt directories before the reinstall.
see this tread.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=206099&b=41

[EDIT] I also have the problem when I integrate(Eclipse,ADB) the small TGC textinput example with the player on my system.

Can someone help me?

Windows 7
ZTE skate
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2013 04:53
Did you properly update your Android setup so that it has all the v10813 files everywhere?

I create a separate directory (in Windows, Android and Mac/iOS) for each AppGameKit version to make sure that each environment is complete and correct and clean.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2013 04:53
Ah the help files are MUCH better now!! Thanks for removing the floating header and footer! Now I can use my full screen size without those bars filling it up!

I love the help file style, but I'm left wondering why the most important commands (i.e., the creation commands) are stuck right down the bottom for both sprites and 3D (and possibly others). It's like everything's turned upside down.

Other than that, brilliant update

Clonkex

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
The newest Android AppGameKit Player crashes every time for me now (but only on my phone not tablet)

swis
Interstellar
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2013 17:11
What version of AppGameKit are you using for your IDE?

Based on the date on the Android Play Store, the current Android Player is probably v10813.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What version of AppGameKit are you using for your IDE?"

I can't even run the player. It crashes while opening.

swis
Interstellar
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2013 22:38
That's got to be annoying!
These might be dumb questions, but have you tried the following:
Clearing the cache for the player app?
Uninstall and reinstall the player from Google Play?
Compiling an APK for the player using the IDE/APP files?

Also I wonder what Android version your phone is as well as the make/model. Just so we know if there are potential issues with that specific device.

peterJBE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2013 23:20
@Ancient Lady
Quote: "
I create a separate directory (in Windows, Android and Mac/iOS) for each AppGameKit version to make sure that each environment is complete and correct and clean."

Thank you, I could finally compile my standalone app with eclipse with the textboxes working correctly. Deleting some files on my android device was what did it, I think.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2013 23:26 Edited at: 17th Jun 2013 23:29
Quote: "That's got to be annoying!"

Now this is odd. If I run the app without wifi it runs it crashes when connected to any network.

I have tried all of those minus option 3. My phone is a Lucid running Android 4.0.4.

swis
Interstellar
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2013 05:57
@Swiss - that's pretty interesting. Sounds like a bug to me!
Personally, I'd try to compile my own player from Eclipse to see if it still happens and I'd also try removing Facebook SDK from the player.
I wonder if there are other folks here with Android 4.0.4

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2013 16:34
I have an Android 4.0.4 device (two if you count the Kindle).

I just made sure that I had a fresh install from the Play Store for the AppGameKit Player. It has a build date of May 28th.

It started up fine and accepted a broadcast app from my v10813 IDE.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2013 20:34
A critical line has been removed from the Tier 1 'Building your iOs Application'in /Help/guides/52_ios.htm

Used to say (in 1.076):

now says:

I only noticed it was missing when trying to upgrade the player to 1.08 and not following the non-sequitur. New users won't be able to compare with the old help files.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 18:07:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 18:07:45