Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How do we recognize and play nice with a Kindle?

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 20:03
I have a Kindle Fire HD and am able to install the same Android APK files as I do on all my regular Android devices.

And I was forced to add an orientation calibration step to my WIP because the Kindle was reporting the tilts in the opposite direction than all other Android devices.

I couldn't find anything in the LogCat (connected via Eclipse) that would let me recognize that it was a Kindle (as opposed to any other Android device). And the GetDeviceName just returns just plain old "android".

It would be nice to be able to recognize a Kindle (and the Ouya I suppose) as different devices.

One reason in particular that I would like to be able to do that is so that I can set my 'Rate Me' button to go to the correct place.

I have the correct strings needed to direct to the Rate Me page for iOS and Android.

Now, I would like to be able to direct to the correct Kindle/Amazon rating page.

I did find out how to at least get to the Mac App Store page for an app (substitute the appropriate MAS id after 'id'): macappstore://itunes.apple.com/app/id402437824

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 20:55
AL, I agree, it would certainly help... What I ended up doing was creating a separate app for each store (not the best I know! Lots of duplication!).

Although I'm not using the Accelerometer this does kinda worry me a little. I went ahead and loaded Happy Chick to the Amazon store without even checking to see how it runs on a Kindle (I know, bad move, but I was too excited ). It passed validation for all devices so I assume its ok, but I think I'll try and get hold of one to try just for my sanity
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2013 01:35
Hi AL,

When I plugged up my Kindle HD to Eclipse, I remember getting some extra libs for Kindle HD from amazon - I think I was trying to root it at the time
As you use T2, are you able to include and use these libs? Surely there must be some kindle specific funcs in them? I added them from:

http://kindle-sdk.s3.amazonaws.com/addon.xml

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2013 01:39
..I'd also like to say the device itself absolutely rocks as an android tablet. Seriously needs to be rooted though. I hate that "restriction" it ships with.. not in the spirit at all!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2013 01:48
Yes, I am using T2 and the extra libraries did get added to my setup. But I don't know if they are actually used. The same .apk as I use on my other tablets is installed on my Kindle.

And I do like my Kindle. It is a good tablet.

I will look into the libraries that are used to see if something automagically gets included. And maybe it is usable.

I never root my devices. I don't expect anyone buying my products to do so and prefer to leave my devices as they were meant to be.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2013 02:34
Yes, the rooting is just my personal preference in the fact that I don't like the inability to make my own choices. I wouldn't expect users of my product to do so just to play the game, I meant only for the functionality of the device (for my own use).

I'd have to say I have much more opportunities for obtaining (legal) free books on my Kindle now it's rooted that before.

Another lame idea is that there could be some unique capability check that would single the device out as a Kindle (but of course this could be subject to change).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 19:54:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 19:54:19