Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Can I create a music app with AGK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2013 17:33
More than just games, I am more interested in creating a sample player, sampler, rompler or synth for various platforms.

It would require sample playback, the ability to play and latch loops, some kind of a editor/track interface (for multiple tracks) with a grid, the ability to save and load files - including newly rendered files from the timeline and other features related to a desktop music app.

Can this be done with AppGameKit (v1 or v2)?

Mike

YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!
www.world-class-multimedia.com
For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2013 17:51
No with AppGameKit you can do only few things for sound.
But on iOS i used AudioUnit and all gone fine.
I don't know for Android.

But the AppGameKit Team wanna add much more sound command for next versions, i read.
I hope it too, cause i wanna do some apps to stream music to a radio (icecast, shoutcast) and a DJ Mixer with sampler and MP3 player.

Long life to Steve!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Jul 2013 17:54
this

and

this

Simple showcase thread search for compose brings them up

So your answer is likely a YES!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2013 17:58
Tricky one. I wrote a soundtracker (VSD Tracker) in DBPro when it was very young, it had support for pitch, volume and panning wave samples and that's about it. With AppGameKit, it is possible to pan a sound and adjust it's volume - however I don't think it's possible to change the pitch, which kinda negates it as a music app language unfortunately. Maybe this will be addressed at some point, but it's not vital so I think you might be in for a long wait. Exporting the music to a MP3 or even just a wave file isn't possible yet, not unless you want to get your hands dirty

Really, a music program has to have deeper access to sound hardware than AppGameKit or even DBPro affords us. They tend to use custom sound libraries that put the sound output on a controllable or higher priority, it needs to access, monitor, or modify the sound data in it's raw form - so AppGameKit is probably a stretch.

So... AppGameKit probably won't support the features you need in a music app unless it was a really straightforward music app, or didn't allow actual music editing - like an eJay program for example. It won't be able to easily export the data.

The biggest issue though, is competing in this market. For example, Garage Band on the iPad is an astronomically impressive tool, it has features that no small team, let alone a solo developer could hope to compete with. In fact, the only mobile music app that could compete with it, is Fruity Loops Mobile, which doesn't even exist (unfortunately).

I would suggest looking at DBPro if you really want to make a music app easily - look at the sound plugins and what they can offer. It would be PC only, but something that runs on a PC laptop is actually pretty decent option these days.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2013 18:20 Edited at: 11th Jul 2013 18:24
I want to port my virtual instruments over to multiple platforms, especially mobile phones and tablets.

Here are my synths: http://www.supersynths.com

I am a reasonably capable vsti developer, but not a programmer for mobile devices (yet). I have all the ability in the world to create custom romplers with custom sound libraries for the PC and Mac.

I am mostly looking to port my products over (and create new ones) to the mobile and tablet platforms. More than likely, IOS is only possible since Android can have a latency from as little as 25ms to as massive as 125ms - which negates it as a music creation platform, unlike IOS devices, which have core audio built in and can handle anything with near zero latency.

That said, I would at least like to port my virtual instruments to IOS using AGK. I mostly need the ability to playback samples and loops. In my GrooveBlox product, I would love to be able to further slice the grooves up so that they can be played via several keys - pretty much like REX files (Reason and Recycle).

I assume AppGameKit can play back wav, mp3 and ogg files? Does it have even basic MIDI support? Can cc#'s be used (MIDI controller numbers)?

Perhaps AppGameKit will, at a minimum, be able to PLAY and latch loops (keep them playing continuously) across multiple streams?

Mike

The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 00:10
Now....let me think.......DONT think....a wise man once pointed to the sky and said.."look up there....."... His protege looked at his masters finger pointing. The master slaps his protege and says..."do not look at the finger or you will miss all the heavenly beauty!". In answer to yours question....probably...unless you plan on your music being self fulfilling comprising of fractal generated notes.

www.bitmanip.com
All the juicy you could ever dream of!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 10:30
AGK can play back Wav, MP3, Ogg - no midi support and it probably won't get any. The biggest issue with using AppGameKit is the lack of a pitch control.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 16:51
Van,

For what I need, pitch is a non-issue. All of my instruments are samples and I have already found out one can play samples via the playsound command and it can loop, which is also important.

It won't be my go-to resource for creating mobile music apps, but it is at least theoretically possible to create a simple rompler.

Mike

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 18:23 Edited at: 16th Jul 2013 18:25
hey....what about my music app?? lol!

oh but your looking for a sound loops type of deal....

this could be done but would need to be done similar to my program where it has all the tones recorded to wavs.

its much easier to get a seamless loop if you have a play back function playing each tone manualy.

anyways qmidi was written with agk and works great!

guess I should release it for android soon.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=202017&b=49

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 23:07
Quote: "Fruity Loops Mobile, which doesn't even exist (unfortunately)."

Sorry for getting off-topic, but FL Mobile does exist.
http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudiomobile.html

It looks pretty impressive, but I've yet to try it.

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 00:19:29
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 00:19:29