Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Cars Incorporated on Indiegogo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 03:19 Edited at: 26th Nov 2013 16:37
Edit: This thread is now several months old, so I'm updating this info with the fact that Cars Incorporated has started into it's second Indiegogo campaign on Nov 24th. Check it out here.
There's also a referral contest so please share and help me spread the word!

To conclude here is the new, updated Trailer:

Original:
Good news everyone!

No wait, that was not the opener I thought about. That was someone elses. Oh well...

Some of you already know my Dark Basic Pro based business simulation game Cars Incorporated. I had one, err, two WIP threads for that. The last one was here. Both times I didn't get around to updating the threads very often until they got locked but the development has gone on eversince albeit slow and the game is currently in version 0.25.

For those of you who don't know this project yet and don't want to read through all of the old thread: It is a business simulation where you can build and sell cars.
The cars are designed in a semi-freeform editor that allows you to shape the car to a certain extent - the result is a car that is internally generated, not a predefined modell.
Some forms will result in different types of cars (e.g. a very long trunk will turn cars into pick-ups) while some things are relevant to the properties of the car such as how large of an engine you can fit into the body or the generic question of how heavy the car will be.

Engines and chassis are also not only the hunt for the next tech level. You can set the displacement for your engine or have your engineers attempt to improve fuel efficiency or performance within the limits of a tech level. Until the next one becomes available and you race to that.

The updates since the last WIP include some more lists (it's a business simulation after all), distribution options, a vastly improved simulated race and a lot of other improvements.

Here are some screenshots for thos who don't know the game:

You can download the game for trying it's current (still WIP) version here.

You can also visit the game's homepage, it's facebook-page, take a look at my monologue on twitter or visit the Indiegogo campaign I have set up for it a couple of days ago.

The last one is also the reason for bringing Cars Incorporated back up here. I didn't post this on WiP because I actually want to talk about your thoughts about the Indiegogo-campaign and not the game itself here.
I didn't get around to finishing my video for the campaign yet, but that will follow this week. So right now I hope some of my fellow Dark Basic Pro fans and other game makers have some good tips for me to kickstart the Indiegogo campaign a bit. Of course you're also welcome to contribute to the campaign or share it so it gets more exposure. I even have a small referral contest on there for those of you who want to do that and you can win the game and some other extras along with it.

Here's the adress of the campaign again: Link

So what do you all think of this? Any hints or tips? [b][/b]

Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 16:25
Really, not even a single comment?

Anyway, the game has received a minor update to v0.26 bringing in much better graphics for the office. They're a byproduct of me getting back into the use of Blender for creating small parts for the next version (mirrors, seats and others). Still very simple, basically a 3D rendered version of the old Paint Shop Pro graphics but better than before:

I also added an extra button to the menu bar as I figured that finding the factory as a subscreen of the business sites screen might lead to confusion for new players who can't find how to build their cars:

Any help by fellow DBP developers or other TGC members in the Indiegogo-campaign is greatly appreciated - no matter if by contributing, sharing the campaign or just giving me good advice.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 06:16
Your game looks very well polished and I can tell you've put a level of depth into it that not many games have. I haven't played it but I can tell you why not many people have commented on it - your game is different because it seems to be more of a management simulation and at least in my opinion that type of game is a lot harder to comment on.

If I were you, I would do a few things: First of all, don't change the gameplay. Keep strong with the concept you have now because it's pretty unique. But you need to work on the graphics, that seems to be the weakest part of the game. If you had a consistant and attractive graphics style, that could become a great way to attract new users who might not usually be interested in this type of game. Right now, the graphics already limit who is going to play the game because they don't do a good job delivering a mood. Maybe an indiegogo could help you with that

Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2013 15:27
Well that's because it IS a management/business simulation game

But thank you for giving me your thoughts about it. And you are right about the graphics. They are still place holders and they will be replaced on the way, but that is still some time off as I need to get the technical side of the game to a near complete status first. Otherwiese I would need to redo the graphics several times to adapt it for changes and new features. So I have to keep them simple for now. Until v0.60 (called the Media Update).

I'll definitly keep your remark about a mood in mind for when I start revamping the graphics for v0.60. Back to work on v0.30 now ^^

Any more thoughts or suggestions?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 6th Aug 2013 01:33 Edited at: 6th Aug 2013 01:43
Quote: "Really, not even a single comment?"

To be very honest with you, I always confuse this project with this and therefore I seldom click on your project threads...

Nice work so far! and good luck with the gogo

EDIT

Meh... nvm

Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 16:13
Quote: "To be very honest with you, I always confuse this project with this and therefore I seldom click on your project threads..."

Great, now I don't only have to worry about single words being copyrighted but also about them being mistaken for other things that use just that word as a title.

But technically you are not that wrong... as it's both about cars... which also explains the word in the title

Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 03:23
The campaign is almost over - and failing miserably - it's pretty hard to get some publicity. Maybe I should pull of some crazy stunt to gain attention like running naked through a pedestrian zone. Then again, that's probably been done to often to be of any interest to any one...

Probably too late for the campaign but I managed to make a little trailer (or commercial?) for the game using a nice voice-over-gig from fiverr.

Here it is:
http://youtu.be/toi_ODYbwhg

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 09:11
I didn't realise this was a game. I thought you were telling us that indegogo now has cars, whatever that means, and I wasn't interested enough to find out.
Your game looks quite in depth, and like thenerd said, that makes it hard to comment on at a glance. I reckon there are a few people who have looked at it and thought, "hmm, I will try that out and then post my opinions!" and then they forget...

Formerly OBese87.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 14:33 Edited at: 25th Aug 2013 15:01
Also there is not enough exposure for the narrow target audience. Historical car manufacturing isn't quite your average mass-market video game genre.

You need the message spread real wide so that the interested ones have a choice to find out about the game.

Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 16:04
@Libervurto

lol, I didn't expect my thread title to be interpreted in such a way. Unfortunately I can't change that anymore but I'll keep in mind to add an "Indie game" or something to the titles of any future posts I make here or elsewhere ^^ Thanks for pointing out your thoughts

Quote: "Also there is not enough exposure for the narrow target audience. Historical car manufacturing isn't quite your average mass-market video game genre.

You need the message spread real wide so that the interested ones have a choice to find out about the game."

Yeah, you kind of summed up the problem I've been trying to fight for the past couple of months.

I do believe that my game has matured to a point where it does start to become appealing to people who like this type of game. And of all the feedback I got by people who played it there was virtually nothing but praise - even for much earlier versions.

But reaching the narrow target audience is pretty much the problem I've been trying to solve. I do hope the trailer spreads at least a little on YouTube.

So maybe one of you guys here has a great idea on how to get exposure for my game - lots and/or in the narrow target audience?

Maybe this will help: I am working on setting up an affiliate system for the game. I am currently testing that. So if anyone wants to participate - I'll pay 1 Euro by PayPal per sale that I can successfully track.
If interested: You can find your own referral-link by logging into the game's homepage. It will be displayed on the right, below all those share buttons. If you use this link to promote the game I should be able to track any referral you send (provided their security settings don't serve milk to my cookies).

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 16:19 Edited at: 25th Aug 2013 16:24
Well I already posting your game on my game database; with a bit of elbow grease and exposure of my own, I will try to feed you some traffic and will join the affiliate program.

Meanwhile it might be a good idea to add more votes to your entry, since that will affect its ability to receive slideshow priority.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 16:55
A shame the indie gogo campaign failed really, It does look very very interesting! - that trailer / commercial shouldve been put out at the start of it, as it's what made me interested in it at all - before that i'd just glance through the thread and move on.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 20:58
@Chris Tate
Thanks. I registered on your site (as Merced) and added a vote.

You can already find your referral link when you log in to the game's website and look at the right just below the (old) sharing buttons. I just need to test it and see the cookie information turn up in registrations before I can fully implement the program - but I will already pay for those that I can track.

@Quik
Yeah... I tried several times to make a trailer or other video to promote the campaign. But I'm just one of those guys who can't stand himself in a video or audio recording.
I recently learned of the possibility to get small, professional voice-overs (amongst many other things) on that website called fiverr. I tried that and the result is what you hear in the video which sound really awesome.

The video turned out better than I had expected now. And I am glad that it manages to capture some attention the game couldn't grab before so thanks for the feedback

Concerning the indiegogo campaign. It was not completely in vain, as it did help raise attention a little bit resulting in the best selling and 3rd best selling months so far for the game. That's still not much but every improvement is good and I learned at least some more basic stuff about advertising - which I still suck at.

BTW: Right now you still could contribute to the campaign to make things easier for me and faster in the development. It's still on for about 12 hours (but I don't really expect any larger movements any more).

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 09:39 Edited at: 26th Aug 2013 09:39

Formerly OBese87.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 13:51 Edited at: 26th Aug 2013 13:55
I hope it is not too late, but I wouldn't mind creating a logo for your game. All you need to do is draw my attention to 3 or 4 logos on the internet that describe what kind of look you would want, and I will create it.

It is up to you, but I don't think the Comic sans effect works very well for a car manufacturing game logo; it doesn't deliver the right message. It needs something that you could put on a video game DVD cover. Something a bit more metallic, reflecting the nature of the cars; or perhaps something a bit more corporate, reflecting the financial aspect of the experience you want the logo to reflect.

The logo must at least look worth the the price tag of the game, to justify that click on the banners and videos. A top brand logo; not a hobby project logo.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 19:32
Maybe something like these badges from 1937:

Formerly OBese87.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 20:01
Definetly, something that fits the setting of the game, and its planned user interface, unless the current UI is to stay.

It's up to Westmere.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 20:10 Edited at: 26th Aug 2013 20:11
I threw together some clip art and added text. →

Formerly OBese87.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 21:27
Interesting... NOW the discussion is rolling ^^

Unfortunately the Indiegogo campaign is already over, so for that it's too late. So let's see if we can get the affiliate thing running.

About the logo: Like most graphical elements (mostly the UI) it was a quick solution to get a first working version (or certain features) up and running.
The plan was all along for v0.60 (called the Media Update) to throw all this placeholder graphics overboard and replace most of that with stuff done in Blender. The splash-screen backdrop for instance was the byproduct of a test to see if I could export cars from the game to Blender (this was done with the original tech demo, that specific body generation is set to return in the next release 0.30).

So yes, the UI is going to change down the road but it's still a while off. The reason is that making all these graphics will be a lot of work and I want to avoid redoing them several times because a lot of features will continue to change and v0.60 will be a point where no major stuff will change anymore (probably).

The Original Logo also was such a quick productand the Comic Sans was meant to reflect the earlier written logos some very old cars had.

So, now that I have written half a novel about this: The logo always was meant to be changed. In fact I do have plans to change it for the next version. This is the current incomplete design I am playing around with (colors are badly lit as there's nothing around to reflect from):

What do you guys think? I am open to suggestions especially since you, Chris Tate, seem to be pretty adept at logo creation.

@Libervurto I like that even though you've got a typo in the name (IncorpOrated not IncorpErated). The problem is that that logo would look too old. It might would fit the game in it's current form but since the gametime will ultimately span the entire history of the car from 1895 to 2020 it wouldn't fit so good anymore.

What I do require in the long run is logos and names for the car manufacturers in the game (for the player to choose from or the AI to take).

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 21:54 Edited at: 26th Aug 2013 22:09
I like it, the concept works. It has that financial look about it. The green arrow indicates the rise the players make as their progress financially.

As always, I do my logo tests. Now most likely you are aware of this, after all it is a work in progress.

I tend to zoom the logo out so it looks like an Icon; If you do that the N in the incorporated disappears.

The other test I always do is zoom in so far to pick up the details; I think you will find the top edge of the A, the hole in the R and the bottom edge of the last S are not perfect. Use a viewport image of real text for reference.

Final test on a scale of 1 to 10, how easy would it be for a person to describe the logo without spelling the words; I'd say 6; it features a financial arrow behind its words, but since I can't spell it out, that is the best description my brain could think of without remembering the name of the game and that is as distinguishable as it will ever be because the the arrow is the only symbol in the logo.

They say less is more, but you need not use additional clutter to create a symbol, IE. the space between the letters in my game logo symbolizes a maze, and the p is a ?. Doom logo has game level inside of it. The sonic logos are either coloured like sonic and tails or the colour schemes used in the pinball levels. The letters in the Mario logo have boundaries. etc. etc.

So I'd just spend a little more time on the straightening out the letters, highlighting the small text and adding a memorable symbol hinted in an efficient way; something related to the game.

It does look like a Blender logo. Am I correct? If so then it is not good that I can tell that; when you render it, touch it up in the Gimp/Photoshop/Blender-Nodes so that its colour vibrance improves. (I'm not a fan of creating logos in 3D modelling programs, even for a movie, I would probably bring the logo in from Illustrator or some drawing program)

The straightening up should ward off any subconscious suspicion of amateurism; the symbol will help make it stick in the mind of observers.

When you get famous, then you won't really need as many symbols to be memorable.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 23:03 Edited at: 26th Aug 2013 23:04
Quote: "What do you guys think? I am open to suggestions especially since you, Chris Tate, seem to be pretty adept at logo creation."

Ay! Wah you tryn'a say?

I have my own professional graphic designer logo. →
... damn, I forgot about "Many Angles!!!" that is important USP.

Formerly OBese87.

Attachments

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 23:06
Quote: "I have my own professional graphic designer logo. →"

Almost laughed for realz x)

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 21:40 Edited at: 27th Aug 2013 22:49
@Chris Tate

O_o Thanks for the in-depth analysis of my new logo design.

As I said it's a work in progress to visualize an idea in this case, so it's a rather quick sketch, not a final product. The writing was actually taken from a normal font (I think it was arial, but I'd have to check), but since the small font didn't survive the exporting and importing to get it into Blender I just redid the small writing there, but it did mess up the S of the first word, so that is why that looks so awkward on the lower end.

I also noticed the problem with the N before and so I will be moving or reshaping the arrow a bit to get it away from the small font. I also did notice the awkward upper edge of the A when I zoomed in working on the C to straigthen the ends but didn't think it important for visualizing the design. The R I did not notice before.

I did want to add something to make it look more car related but everything I experimented on looked pretty awful. For Instance I had the main word as a road (black with white stripes). Any integration of a car into the logo looked too forced would become unrecognizable when the logo was scaled down.

So unless you have a great suggestion on adding something car-like to the logo I will probably go with a refined version of this new logo.

Or I could go for one of those stary logos from Libervurto ^^ Good one ^^

Quote: "When you get famous, [...]"

Yeah that would be kind of nice ^^ The hardest thing will be to remember all those that helped me on the way though

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 01:09 Edited at: 28th Aug 2013 01:09
so, couldn't resist my own version:

consider it "fan art"

Attachments

Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 01:43
Yeah, I love it! ^^

I especially like the look of the writing, reminds me of those name tags they actually put on cars. Like this one:
http://files.vau-max.de/images/2012/03/006-bilder-vw-passat-3c-gp-facelift-fahrbericht-test-drive-2013-tdi-bluemotion-fotos-pics.jpg

Quite some nice "fan art" and certainly worth considering something like that

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 02:16
Well we can all contribute ideas, there is plenty of time to come up with something that sticks. It can't hurt to have multiple logos that can be used for various purposes; I have more than one logo myself.

Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 19:23
Yeah you are right. Having options certainly can't be wrong. And anything unused can still be showcased somewhere as "fan art" as Virtual Nomad has named it ^^

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 19:35 Edited at: 28th Aug 2013 19:52
Hey, I had a neat idea. How about combining the graph stuff and car badge ideas? So it would look like a car badge but it would contain graph elements. The jagged line looks a bit like lightning so that could work, maybe have barcharts instead of wings, I think that might look bad but you get the general idea.

Formerly OBese87.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 22:09
That might work; then it is describable as a car badge under construction; or a financial blue-print themed car manufacturing badge logo.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 22:37
Quote: "then it is describable as a car badge under construction"

hmm, so you mean the badge itself would be a metaphor for building your own auto-mobile empire? I wasn't thinking like that but I like that idea.

Quote: "a financial blue-print themed car manufacturing badge logo."

Yes, I think that's what I meant. It would look like a normal car badge at a glance, but look closer and you realise all the symbols are business related stuff.

Formerly OBese87.
Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 04:23
Really interesting ideas here.

But somehow I though about all those guns forming wings in the Expendables logo when I read what you said about bars forming wings.
I'm having a bit of a hard time imagining this.

Also, how exactly, would you depict a financial blue print, Chris Tate?

BTW, I have put up a simple site for the affiliate program test: http://cars-inc-game.com/index.php/en/affiliate

I still need a new registration to see if the referral info actually comes through. But the site itself can now also remember who referred you to allow for multilevel referrals. I'll go for 1 Euro per sale and 0,25 Euro per sale of one's own referrals.

I'll be a bit more on the development side of the game in the next days, but you keep on bouncing those interesting ideas.

Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 03:23

Not much for the logo discussion but here we have the new editor working together with the game for the first time. Still fairly unplayable as I need to redo a lot of things for the new way science will work in v0.30.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 14:35
How does the timeline aspect of the game work? What is to stop someone building a Bugatti Veyron in 1912?

Formerly OBese87.
Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 14:59
There's two answers to your question:

1. For current v0.26 and before: There are tech levels that will be unlocked in predefined years. Each tech level consists of a couple of base values and limits to which you can improve your engine/chassis. Tech levels for bodies have predefined limits.
So building the same size engine in 1912 and 2012 will result in a 1912 engine that is much heavier, needs much more fuel and is much less powerfull than the 2012 version.
However I have seen people get to pretty extreme cars early on, so that will become harder to do.

2. For future v0.30 and beyond: Tech levels can be introduced up to 5 years before their time IF you have done enough research in that area and improved from there on.
More importantly cars will have values and limits that come with the parts available. Wooden wheels can't go pretty fast for instance.

PS.: Good to see that you have not been banned from that political discussions you started ^^

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 15:49
Quote: "PS.: Good to see that you have not been banned from that political discussions you started ^^"

Unfortunately, I sometimes miss where the boundaries are on this forum.

Formerly OBese87.
Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 22:05
I posted a little question about the desired implementation of small parts into the game on facebook.

If you want to voice your oppinions as well, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/carsincgame/posts/566454800086902

Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2013 21:55 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2013 21:56
Just for those who like this game:

I recently updated Cars Incorporated to version 0.30. The most significant change is of course the new and improved body editor, featuring an improved body generation that offers more details and less cut off edges.

For the player there are more dragpoints to adjust their cars and a lot more colors to choose from. Most significantly the body editor now allows for the addition of components that offer certain bonuses to the car and thus influences sales and tech awards.

With the new editor I also turned some existing body features into components (engine hood, windshield, wheelhouse) to allow for a even more minimalistic car and an earlier start into the game (1895 instead of 1900 for registered players).
In the other direction the game was expanded by the 3rd body generation in 1927, featuring a more rounded car design, taking the game all the way to 1950.

Last but not least, the game is now not as silent as it used to be, as it features the first two original tracks from german composer Martin Herrmann with more coming in future versions.

You can find the full release information in greater detail here or directly download Cars Incorporated v0.30
here. The demo (unregistered) version can be played from 1900 to 1905.

And if you wish to make a little extra cash from recommending the game, just make sure you are logged into the site and like the release news on facebook, as that will distribute your referral link. Details on the affiliate program test can be found here.

And I should probably make a new thread in a more approriate section of this forum as it is hardly about Indiegogo anymore

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 21:22
Looks neat Westmere, shiny even!

Formerly OBese87.
Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2013 04:21 Edited at: 17th Nov 2013 04:23
Thanks ^^

The game is ever evolving...

Here's the updated trailer with footage from v0.31:

I will also be starting a new attempt at an Indiegogo campaign tomorrow, hope some of you will join me there in spreading the word (or contributing)

Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 16:40
This thread is now several months old, so I'm updating this info with the fact that Cars Incorporated has started into it's second Indiegogo campaign on Nov 24th. Check it out here.
There's also a referral contest so please share and help me spread the word!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 17:42 Edited at: 26th Nov 2013 19:10
Quote: "The 90's was an awesome time in gaming. It was a time when game-play was more important than making graphics look better than real and unique ideas ruled the gaming world instead of today's big companies that flood the market with a gazillion copies of virtually the same game..."

I don't like this first paragraph of your introduction, it's very negative.

I like how you talk about this game, Detroit, you played in the 90's, and how you recently rediscovered it and wanted to make a modern homage to it. This is a good story that shows you have a passion for games and know what you want to do with Cars Incorporated.

Quote: "A previous attempt to raise funds to allow me to work on this project exclusively has more or less failed due to a complete lack of exposure - but the project has progressed nonetheless and has released the major update to v0.30 since then."

I think you need to stress that it was a lot harder to get to v0.30 without backing and you couldn't give as much time to the project as you'd have liked but you were determined not to let the failure of the last campaign hold you back. [Ah, you do this further down.]

Quote: "...if you like games that are not the same old story over and over again just with better graphics, engineered to making some faceless company it's next couple of millions..."

Again, you don't need to beat down soulless mega-developers, people who read this are already at indiegogo, lol.

Formerly OBese87.
Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 15:53
Thanks for the hints. They make sense

I'm a little wary of making these edits at the moment though since my connection is a very shaky and I don't want to loose it all. I will change those things once my internet works stable again.

Until then: Why don't you share the links in the campaign and take part in the referral contest?

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 18:14
Quote: "The 90's was an awesome time in gaming. It was a time when game-play was more important than making graphics look better than real and unique ideas ruled the gaming world instead of today's big companies that flood the market with a gazillion copies of virtually the same game..."

Sign... at least there were no DRM. I hate DRM, I hate steam DRM, I hate everything internet-related in games.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
DRM has never affected my life in the slightest.

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 22:25
Quote: "Sign... at least there were no DRM. I hate DRM, I hate steam DRM, I hate everything internet-related in games."

I know what you mean, which is why the only copy protection I am using is a serial code - no online activation or other online connection necessary. Also no binding to an e-mail or anything else (just in my registration database so I can recover lost keys).

I might be adding a steam or desura version in the future though but I will also try to keep DRM out as far as possible - just doing them for their marketing potential. Afaik Desura does not require the addition of any copy protection and I think a steam version can also work with no additional copy protection and can use steam simply for download and "implantation" of a serial key.

The normal version, sold through my website, will not get anything beyond the serial key and the blocking of known pirated keys with updates after the keys are discovered, so not even the blacklists will be downloaded, just included in patches.

No DRM.

Quote: "DRM has never affected my life in the slightest."

Really? DRM bites me in the behind for every game I need to constantly have the DVD ready or need an online connection (mine's always a bit shaky here) which I don't always have when I take my notebook with me.
Even worse: The DRM on Blu-rays is very annoying for me as I am forced to either use one of those blown-up DVD Players like Power DVD that needs like 10 minutes just to load the program, not even the disc on a laptop and doesn't even play everything because of the stupid DRM.

So I am forced to use an technically illegal program to circumvent the DRM in order to play original blu-ray discs, I legally own, with my small and nice Media Player Classic or VLC player without having to wait what feels like a decade just to see if PowerDVD will even play the movie.

Long story short: I too hate DRM.

Now go and help promote my game on Indiegogo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 12:37:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 12:37:54