Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Rido devlog

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2013 20:19 Edited at: 10th Jan 2014 15:35

Hi, Rido is a 2 player co-operative adventure platformer.
Don't have anyone to play with? Just use your micro and use both hands; one on WASD and one on the arrowkeys.
(Also works with game controllers.)

We're currently in Alpha and are in the middle of polishing off the last few levels and replacing the music, but the first 90% of the adventure is ready and waiting for you.

The game has been designed to be carefree and child friendly but also relatively difficult. (Just watch how many time you fail getting through the end of level 6.) We've tested Rido on a number of age groups and everyone seemed to like it, so we thought we'd put it on TGC and get some real feedback.

Rido Alpha v0.12

Here's a look at what's in store for the moment

Major things currently on the to do list

The current music
None of the music in Rido is owned by me; it is merely there to give the general idea and will all be replaced before official release. If you are the owner of any of the pieces of music in Rido, please let us know and we shall remove those tracks immediately.
Once again, the music will all be replaced, so it is currently all temporary background music for the moment.

Please be gentle, and have fun.
We look forward to your feedback.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 10th Aug 2013 06:13
umm.......

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 02:40
Which TGC product did you use for this?

Formerly Benjamin.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 09:50
Whoa, the graphics on this look spectacular!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 16:53
Nice work, Rogod!
Simple, but pretty nice gameplay. I like it.
It can be a bit annoying having to do each obstacle twice (having two balls to move), but that's what makes it special also.
Some of the music fits this game rather well, but as mentioned, you'll be replacing it with own material. Really looking forward to hearing the new songs.
Also very interested to see how the new graphics will look like.
I'm not too sure about the blurred screen edges, and also on the clouds...they're a bit too blurry, imo. But overall, pretty nice game, man! Well done!

Quote: "Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Rogod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 22:27
@ MrValentine Apologies for the formatting errors, I had no way to preview the post and no warning of when it was approved to go back and edit in/out things.

@ Seditious This is made in Java; I made sure not to put it in any of the TGC product boards.

@ Dark Java Dude 64 Thanks man I tried as hard as I could, but I'm currently getting my girlfriend to redo the graphics because she can actually do art. So hopefully, it'll look even better come v0.12.

@ The Slayer I'm glad you like the gameplay, that's what we were going for really (up till now).

The 2 player problem is unavoidable really; we designed the game from the very start to be solely a 2 player game because there aren't enough 2 player platformers that PC gamers can just pick up and enjoy; they're all too in depth, or for sofa-gamers. (Not to say Rido doesn't work great on a couch too )

Yeah it's a shame about the music, there are 7 tracks I've basically just taken from a huge list of chiptunes from various places but because they're all so basic and in a huge mish-mash list, there aren't really any authors to ask permissions of or credit. So I did my best to match the 7 pieces of music to the levels and themes I had going until we redo the music. A word of warning; the graphics will look better than the music sounds as I'll be making the music and an actual artist will be making the graphics.

The blurred screen edge I'll look into, it's something that's been there since the start and we've all just gotten used to it, but I may reduce it now it's come up.

And the clouds, I do agree on; I'll have a go at unblurring some of them. The issue however is that the foreground ones can tend to get in the way a bit. (But I may be able to make them more semitransparent as they get closer to the middle of the screen to account for this.)

Cheers guys, thanks for the initial feedback.
Rogod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 11:14 Edited at: 28th Nov 2013 17:57
Just to make sure this devlog stays open for the v0.12 update.

It's coming soon!

Had a bit of a set back, but we should be back on track now.

Just a few bits of artwork to implement and some bug fixes and we're nearly ready for release.

The main difference between v0.12 and release will be a music update.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 22:19
Neato! Looks like it will be a cool game for sure.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 13:08
Where is the post?... on premoderation?

Rogod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 14:43 Edited at: 10th Jan 2014 16:25
Yeah, I'm still on moderation - the first post is getting approval but the last post seems to be taking a while.

EDIT:
Ok apparently I didn't click submit when I posted the last message xD

Rido v0.12 has been released!

Brand new artwork, bug fixes, polish, endings, levels etc.

2 worlds, 8 levels a world, 2 bosses, 5 secret levels, 2 sets of collectibles and a dopefish!

Rido is basically 95% finished. (It's missing the 6th secret level)

Play it now before we release it! (We're planning to sell it for £3.99)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 18:49:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 18:49:38