Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / got a new toy for work. a military UMPC and nowhere to find tochscreen drivers. Maybe you guys know something about this piece of tech i have.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 22:05
I will start off with some history. (feel free to correct me if i am wrong about something, this gadget is a ghost, and there is practically no info about it amywhere).

In early-mid 2000s the US military was looking for a mobile computing solution for the war in Iraq. by 2005 the guys in texas, a company that used to be called CATCHER.Inc came out with this.

CATCHER UMPC v1.1
I have no idea what happened but they ended up making only about 2000 of these and they never even reached the military and were apperentley sold off to random people and the company went bankrupt.

about a shipment of 60 of them ended up in Russia. the guy who was planning on selling them also went bankrupt and they ended up sitting in a warehouse for years (brand new).

now he is desperatley trying to sell them in bulk for $200 each (original price was $7000)

Thats how i stumbled upon one and coincidentally i needed a rugged mobile computer to replace my lenovo netbook which just couldnt handle the ruggedness of my job.

I wont get into the specs of this thing, they are mediocre but with some neat features like GPS, panic button and some other stuff i dont remember now. There is one or 2 descriptions of the specs around the internet and not a single real user review. The gadget is shrouded in mystery. I was too stupid to realise that when i tried reinstalling the OS eracing all the OEM software (i had no use for most of it and i wanted to configure it for job related purposes).

and now i bricked the toch screen. I dont know where to find the drivers. I tried a bunch of software already that claims its for tochscreens but not a single one worked.

I also tried a bunch of different versions of windows, Right now i am trying windows embedded but still no luck.

If i wasnt stupid enough to wipe the harddrive i would have been using it at work already. Today out of all days, i needed a computer. I was hooking up this guy to the internet who had no PC or laptop. Just a router a tv and an iphone. Had to work with what i had so i configured the router, set up an internet connection and iptv all over wifi using one of them tiny iphones that my customer had.

Maybe i am doing something wrong because i am not even sure i can identify the tochscreen hardware of the thing.

I lost a lot of sleep over it too and overslept work by 2 hours as i was trying to find a driver all night.

My next move is to try some linux/unix distros to see if maybe they can somehow copmpile a working driver for me.

Also tried driverpacks with no luck.

This post is out of desperation. idk maybe you guys have some ideas before i resort to anything unix based.

One of my ideas was to install OSX on it and put an "Apple" sticker on it but that would be silly.

and if by any chance there is anyone here who is familiar with the device, i would love to hear some more details about it. Kinda curios why this seemingly awesome piece of military tech failed so badly.

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 22:13
http://www.ix104.ru/catalog/catcher-umpc-v11

OS: Windows XP Professional with Pen and Tablet Extensions

Tried?

"Just because you’re unique, doesn’t mean you’re useful"

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 02:17
Before you go trying to install OSX or Linux, consider the fact that it's most likely proprietary hardware and finding driver support is unlikely for any other OS than what it was designed for (XP).

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 03:33
I think you just took the prize for the longest ever thread title... anybody wish to find something longer?

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 10:43
Quote: "proprietary hardware"

Is your home computer made from open-source hardware?

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 11:01
Quote: "Is your home computer made from open-source hardware?"

Essentially, yes, I can swap out the components as I wish. I doubt you can do the same with this device. Phaelax might have a point here.

The gluteus-maximus mammary-gland formally known as OBese87.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 11:15 Edited at: 15th Aug 2013 11:33
@PAGAN

Try here

You also can try to ask drivers from this guy if he still got that OS installed.

@Libervurto
Quote: "Essentially, yes, I can swap out the components as I wish. I doubt you can do the same with this device."

You don't understand what you are saying.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 19:57
So maybe proprietary wasn't the right choice of words, but you know what I meant!

It may use a lot of standarized hardware, but they probably only wrote drivers for the chipsets to run in windows as that was their only targeted platform.

@mr handy, lol too funny

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 22:17
Quote: "So maybe proprietary wasn't the right choice of words, but you know what I meant!"

Okay PS3 has custom hardware and it is pain in the arse to make any software for it. I bet my tail that UMPC is made from regular hardware, and Win XP, not custom OS, is a sign.

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 23:32
Quote: "I think you just took the prize for the longest ever thread title... anybody wish to find something longer?"

AWESOME! what do i win?

Quote: "Is your home computer made from open-source hardware?
"

i wish

Quote: " I doubt you can do the same with this device. Phaelax might have a point here."

you can switch out most parts out of this thing as you can in a laptop, already replaced the wifi module because the original one refused to work for some reason. there are also a few empty connecton slots for ribbon cables and stuff. my model isnt in full configuration, This thing also can be equipped with retnia scan as well as a GSM/GPRS modem so you can use it as a cellphone the only thing thats unupgradable (considering that its a mobile device) is the CPU, but i am fine with that.

Quote: "I bet my tail that UMPC is made from regular hardware, and Win XP, not custom OS, is a sign."

one of the few official reviews that i read says it supports linux

right now i am trying to look for drivers using driver DEV_ID.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 23:44 Edited at: 15th Aug 2013 23:45
Quote: "what do i win?"

This week's prize is Fluffy Rabbit™, banned edition.

PAGAN, I have posted a link to microsoft search, you may find what you need there. Have you seen it?

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 00:11
Quote: "PAGAN, I have posted a link to microsoft search, you may find what you need there. Have you seen it?"

yes i am trying to figure out how to properly edit system INI, i dont want to jinx my luck, but this looks promising and i think your thing is what i really need to get it to work

also
Quote: "This week's prize is Fluffy Rabbit™, banned edition."

he was banned?

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 00:17
Quote: "he was banned?"

This and this

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 00:44

i regret not getting to know him better, he was an interesting person and will be missed.
Altho he liked to challenge peoples ideas, he was often misunderstood and fell victim to the forum establishment who he tried to challenge.
I shed a tear for Fluffy Rabbit™

Fluffy Rabbit™, if you are somewhere out there in the real world reading this, you will be missed.

thats enough of the funeral speech and sorry for the offtop, i just felt like i needed to say some words of goodbye i guess.

and i think i will need reinstall the regular windows XP back, because the system.ini in win embedded dosent have the sections i need to edit the settings, unless i can figure out how to add them.
Well i can add sections, like i added the [boot] section, but i cant figure out how to add the subsections for mouse.drv= , display.drv= and other stuff.

like is there a text version of the system.ini because i am using the MSCONFIG version

oh god this reminds me of the time i tried to figure out free BSD configurations.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 00:49
The system you need is XP tablet PC edition. There you should start from.

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 01:10 Edited at: 16th Aug 2013 01:33
back to the tablet edition then. Is there really a difference between regular and tablet edition other than the driver and the system INI config? because i am getting the feeling that its the system INI configuration and a few DLLs that make up the whole pen and tablet extention for windows. Correct me if i am being dumb.

also a cople of updates.

according to varios sys spec software the motherboard is called INTEL MONTARA. i think i found some drivers for it but drivers havent helped me so far and i suspect that i just need the right configurations.

also the diplay driver seems to be pretty standard- Intel 82852/82855GM/GME graphics controller. and as far as displaying stuff on the screen, it works, got the driver for it and everything. i dont think it has anything to do with the tochscreen functionality.

Another thing i found out in the last 5 minutes- I tried to run DXDIAG so see if it can tell me anything aaaand... there was a problem acccessing Direct Input. Would you like to bypass direct input this time? [yes] [no]...

hmmm i wonder if direct input is anything related to the tochscreen

[UPDATE]
Figured out how to manually edit SYSTEM.INI
START>RUN>sysedit

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 11:27
Quote: "back to the tablet edition then. Is there really a difference between regular and tablet edition other than the driver and the system INI config? because i am getting the feeling that its the system INI configuration and a few DLLs that make up the whole pen and tablet extention for windows. Correct me if i am being dumb."

It was the OS originally installed on the device.

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 19:47
yes, but i already tried reinstalling tablet PC edition and it didnt work, but last time i didnt poke around in the configurations.

anyway, i still have options i didnt try yet. figuring out the system.ini config is one, then there are still a bunch of DevID's i made a list of that i should look up. By now i figured out that just installing the tochscreen drives int enough, i need to configure them and somehow tie them in with the system INI, According to the link you gave me, i have reference a bunch of .DRV files in it.

So i still have a lot of Shaman rituals i have to try (a russian saying that refers to solving hard computer problems- we call them shaman rituals lol)

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 20:23
Бубен тебе в помощь, товарищ!

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 22:24

The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 22:58
What does Device Manager list?

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2013 21:34
the thing that i think is closley related to what i need in the device manage is some 'CP2101 USB to UART Bridge Controller"
also there is some unidentified PCI device,

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2013 22:10
Post the (?) hardware after installing XP T PC edition

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2013 23:03 Edited at: 17th Aug 2013 23:05
So ive made some progress. the hardware ID of the tochscreen is- *UPDDPNP Thats what its idetified itself in the device manager. and i seem to have got a working driver for it which is manufactured by Touch-Base.Ltd. the tochscreen still dosent work. but then again, i will now need to try the manual system INI config again. but so far things are looking promising and i love your new avatar and sig Mr. Handy

[EDIT] and btw, i got all the hardware exept for the bluetooth (which i dont need so i didnt even bother) and fingerprint scanner and GPS but ill get around to those.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2013 05:40
Quote: "You don't understand what you are saying."

I am saying that anyone can make PC components, but not Apple Mac components. Thus, the architecture itself is proprietary in a Mac. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The gluteus-maximus mammary-gland formally known as OBese87.
The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2013 11:54
Macs are all x86 these days and use EFI to boot - it's more cost effective. It's a sad thing, but their machines are no more proprietary than, say, Dell's.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2013 14:13 Edited at: 18th Aug 2013 14:22
Quote: "Correct me if I'm wrong."

All hardware parts on the market are proprietary. All hardware objects made from those parts is partially proprietary, like Intel CPU, and is partially not, like handmade radio, the hardware that people made by themselves, with proprietary parts. If you want to talk about transistor parts, they are not so complex to be top-secret, so they could be "handmade". In theory, if you want to make hi-end "open-source" handmade graphics card, you need the "open-source" handmade machines to produce the parts, also you need "open-source" blueprints and other data, so theory is so far away as the moon.

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2013 15:22 Edited at: 18th Aug 2013 15:32
yeah in a way Mr Handy is right the illusion of proprietary vs non proprietary hardware is defined by which hardware is more mass produced and is backed by international standards.

and btw, yesturday i bricked the system by installing some random mose driver which made the mouse terribly slow like it lagged 10 seconds behihind and was terribly choppy. So reinstalling again.

if iget this the tochscreen to work, i am making an image of installation and burning it to at least 10 dvds.

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 18:41
i apologise for the double post but i have some very hopeful news!

Yesturday after being crushed and demoralized i emailed tech support @ toch-base.com and they sent me this utility called SCOPE32 so i can collect some touch data for them and this utility ACTUALLY GOT A RESPONCE FROM THE TOUCHSCREEN!

but for now it just displays some random numbers/letters/characters whenever i touch the screen but its an actual response from the touchscreen!

So its now all up to the guys at touchbase. i hope they will help.

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 19:41 Edited at: 19th Aug 2013 21:00
IT WORKED!
the guys sent me a driver that works perfectly. And i had a regular windows 7 installed on it. So the tablet PC edition i dont even need it This will work with any windows starting from 2000.

but they are saying its a trial version (not sure if this is true or not) but they want me to pay them $100 bucks (i was planning on sending them a nice thank you drawing which i would draw in the tablet but after what i went trough i think they deserve the $100

The driver will stop working every 10 minutes requiring a mouse to click ok to continue to function.

Now to deal with incredible pain of international payment to get a real driver. On top of everything, i forgot the password to my paypal account as well as restore data.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 21:27 Edited at: 19th Aug 2013 21:35
Quote: "but they want me to pay them $100 bucks"

Don't do that. You already have paid for the device. Driver should be free. They may have written their own commercial driver, but that's not what you need. $100 is cost of a PowerDVD Ultra, just for comparsion.

P.S. Driver "works" with windows 7 because it is not the original driver.

P.P.S. so have you got Windows XP tablet PC edition 2005?

PSPSPS try somethig here http://www.xploretech.com/support/download_center/

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 23:26 Edited at: 19th Aug 2013 23:26
Too late, i was desperate Paid for the driver, got it (my paypal account was useless anyway untill now, $200 are stuck in it, could only use them for online purchases and thhe mone was sitting there for 3 years now collecting dust).

2nd, now that i know what the tochscreen device is called
Schneider Electric Magelis iDisplay Digital, TSC-1310D (ASCII)
The thing is completley unsupported, i once again looked for the drives on the internet, couldnt find anything that worked, Not even Chinese websites provided a working driver. but this one works great and after more than a weeks worth of no sleep i was too desperate.

but for that 100 bucks i didnt just get setup.exe file, I got full documentation on every OS for that specific device including linux win PE win embedded and others plus i got utilities and extensions for it as well. WORTH IT.

btw the xPlore tablets are cool, and i was gonna purchase one instead but they a a bit bigger made of plastic and my love for ultra rare hardware won over.

Now next is getting the GPS to work!

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 04:33
Quote: "2nd, now that i know what the tochscreen device is called
Schneider Electric Magelis iDisplay Digital, TSC-1310D (ASCII)
The thing is completley unsupported, i once again looked for the drives on the internet, couldnt find anything that worked, Not even Chinese websites provided a working driver. but this one works great and after more than a weeks worth of no sleep i was too desperate."

That's funny, I have a friend who used to work at a branch of Schneider which is just down the street from me! If he still worked there I'd ask him to see if there was any information regarding it. Glad you got it working, at least that's how it seems!

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 22:48 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2013 22:55
@bitJericho: I already reied downloading that- if you click the download link- it asks you for a username and a password. so couldnt download that

But now i have another weird problem.

When i go it, the wifi wasnt working. I switched the lan card for another one i had and reinstalled windows and it detected it, everything was working fine and stuff, but after that, every time i reinstalled windows the device manager wouldnt even detect the device. I tried all my wifi cards so far and no luck.

I refuse to believe that its the chipset somehow fried the mini PCI bus because that would be too sad.

for some reason i believe its the chipset driver i got was wrong when i reinstalled windows and i dont remember which version of windows i installed that got my wifi/network card working.

just checked all my wifi cards on another laptop and all of them work.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-02 00:10:29
Your offset time is: 2024-06-02 00:10:29