Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK 108 GameCenter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 17:38 Edited at: 29th Aug 2013 17:51
I'm struggle to get GameCenter to work with my app, partly due to there being no examples for tier 1.

When my app first starts I use the GameCenterSetup() command.

Then at the end of each game (high score permitting) the user can press a button to post their score to gamecenter:

As far as I can tell from the guide this is the right way to use the commands. However:

The button presses as it should, but the GameCenterLogin() command does absolutely nothing and my app is then stuck in the repeat...until loop (until my wait timeout expires). I'm assuming there should be a popup for the user to log in with.

I'm using AppGameKit 108b17 tested standalone app (not via a player) on iPad2, what am I doing wrong?

DarkBasic Pro 7.7 U77RC7 - AppGameKit 107
Windows 7 x64
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 18:23
I have not worked with the Game Center commands. But, it appears to be similar to the Facebook ones in requirements needed for the Xcode project.

It is necessary to have a FacebookAppID key in the <project>-Info.plist for the app to be able to access the Facebook stuff.

Try googling around to see if there is information about this.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
SolusHunter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 09:53
I have everything set up correctly on the Apple side of things, it's just the AppGameKit part that just doesn't seem to do anything.

The GameCenter board ID is added to the AppGameKit application code (as far as I can tell) rather than the Facebook method where it hsa to be added to the plist config.

AGK 108 (Backed v2)
Windows 8 x64
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i guess we need a proper FAQ or guide for FB & Gamecenter setting up.

TGC should "hire" knowledgeable users to take care of these things, now that the userbase has expanded after the kickstarter
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 21:10
Tested the example above with the 108 beta 18 interpreter_ios project and it displayed the Game Center popup. Are you definitely linking against the Release version of the AppGameKit lib and not the ReleaseLite version which doesn't have Game Center?
SolusHunter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 21:18
To be honest I did think that myself. I'm going to rebuild the ios app tomorrow and make sure its the full player.

Thanks.

AGK 108 (Backed v2)
Windows 8 x64
SolusHunter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 10:43
Rather embarrasing. It turns out I had used the lite project without realising it and hence the gameCenter commands did nothing.

Personally I feel that the commands should return an error message if they are used in the lite project rather than doing absolutely nothing.

AGK 108 (Backed v2)
Windows 8 x64
SolusHunter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 13:12 Edited at: 5th Sep 2013 13:45
Ok, I now have the gamecenter working on the iPad Simulator, but it's still not working on an iPad 2 ?!?

However it does working on iPhone 4S.

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I'm an avid Android fan, so I'm not familiar with how Apple does things.

UPDATE: It turns out that the iPad2 had restrictions enabled, and it seems that for 'developer' signed apps it won't allow GameCenter to popup, probably because the game doesn't currently have an age rating?! With restrictions off the gamecenter pops up correctly.

AGK 108 (Backed v2)
Windows 8 x64
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 19:36
Quote: "I feel that the commands should return an error message if they are used in the lite project"

It looks like you missed out the one command that does have this GameCenterSetup() will produce a message box when used in the lite version.

Glad to hear you solved the problem.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 07:17:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 07:17:53