Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Splash page images

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2013 10:47
I have another issue from the Hands On book.

Basically, the splash page images do not appear, even though I have followed the instructions from the book to a t.

Any help would be appreciated.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2013 13:27
Another change since the book was written, I'm afraid. As far as I know it no longer works. Paul did say in some previous post that the feature was going to be removed.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2013 16:52
The AGKSplash.png does still work.

But instead of putting it in the media directory, it goes in the main executable directory. In Windows that is where the <proj>.exe file is. In Android it is the assets directory (where the media directory is). For a Mac app, it goes in the same directory as the project and then you add it to the Resources folder when the project is opened in Xcode.

So, the difference is that it no longer goes in the media directory.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2013 17:40
Thanks for that, AL. I will update the book accordingly. But I am right in think Paul has suggested it is best not used since it may not work in versions of AppGameKit yet to come?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2013 22:09
I don't if it will work in later versions. I just know it works now (v10818). I can't speak for what TGC does with it next.

Personally, once I figured out how to get the landscape version to display properly in Android, I like the option for AGKSplash.png. It cuts down on the blank black screen at the start of the app (before the first time the Sync() call gets done and you can create your own splash/startup.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 21:31
I was planning to remove it since at the time it was not clear if it could work in all scenarios and orientations, but if people find it useful in its current state I won't mess with that.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 21:52
The only place I think it is useful is for Android. It can take a while before the app gets to the point where it is executing code (written by the developer, not TGC). Getting the splash screen up shows that something is happening.

On my faster Android devices, there is still a black screen for about two seconds before the AGKSplash.png displays, and then that is up for 3 to 4 seconds before the 'custom' splash displays.

On my slower ones it is about 4 and about 7 seconds.

On iOS, you are required do the minimum Default files and they display instantly. And on Windows, the core AppGameKit loads lightening fast.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 19:50
I'd like to have the splash remain. My devices aren't as slow as ancient lady's (but then perhaps my code is smaller or less complex, plus I only use tier 1), but there is still a good "black screen moment" without the splash screen.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 05:08:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 05:08:37