Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / XBox One vs PS4 (poll)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 14:54 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2013 16:42
Hi everyone, just a quick poll to see where we are at in the console "wars". After a rocky start for Microsoft I suspect they are completely forgiven and most people will go with the next version of what they currently have.

Simply copy the following text and add 1 to whichever one you intend to buy. Take the current count from the post above yours.

XBox - 0
PS4 - 1

I know there are many PC gamers here who will not be buying any, feel free to comment on which you would buy if you had to. but do not add to the tally, thanks.
EDIT: OK, add to the tally even if you are not getting one

As of right now, Sony have 100% of the market

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 15:05
XBox - 0
PS4 - 2

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 15:10
PS4, if I had to buy one lol.

Inmortalis Nox
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 15:22
XBox - 0
PS4 - 4

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 15:25
XBox - 0
PS4 - 5

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 15:31 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2013 15:32
I would not buy either unless for dev-work. I find the PS4 as the more value for money, game orientated "games console"; you know, a console for playing games :-|

The Micrsoft marketing and entertainment division looks to be in a right shambled state at the moment; and their games on offer seem to suggest the publishers want to focus on the PS4 or XBox 360.

XBox - 0
PS4 - 6

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 15:35
XBox - 0
PS4 - 7

I had an Xbox this generation, but when I eventually get a next gen console I'll probably go for a PS4.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 15:37 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2013 15:38
XBox - 1
_PS4 - 8 EDIT

Yup I might bother

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 15:41
XBox - 0
PS4 - 0
Windows - 1937392

However, Titanfall looks like a pretty good game. But it'll also be available for Windows so I won't have to buy a console if I want to buy it.
Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 17:26
XBox - 0
PS4 - 9

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 17:27 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2013 17:27
Xbox - 1
PS4 - 10

I certainly won't be buying the PS4 at launch, but I'll definitely get it at some point, because PlayStation has better exclusives.

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 17:27
XBox - 1
PS4 - 9

XBox and proud.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 17:49
I make it:

XBox - 2
PS4 - 10

Quite surprised so far

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 17:56
Personally I won't be buying either one since (IMO) consoles are just cheap locked down PCs. If I have to buy one I would probably go for the PS4 since it has better hardware, seems to be more free for indies and sony don't do 180s every week.

Speaking of that, now that microsoft have done so many 180s, they might aswell end up calling it the Xbox 180

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 18:06 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2013 18:10
Quote: "are just cheap locked down PCs."

This.

XBox - 2
PS4 - 12
Windows - 2 <- yeah, no console

P.S. Some people here are not able to add 1 to the number. This guy below gets angry!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 18:10
XBox - 2
PS4 - 13

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 18:41
XBox - 3
PS4 - 13

BMG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 19:51
Xbox - 3

PS4 - 14

New video! http://youtu.be/BdcITzLBjxU

And a blog, full of game-related things: http://gradebmedia.blogspot.co.uk/
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 22:12
So I don't think it's a secret that the XBone isn't popular here...

PC - 3
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2013 22:47 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2013 22:50
Quote: "Windows"

I hope you will also be buying a PC or the only game you'll be playing with Windows is Frisbee.

XBone - 3
PS4 - 15

If someone offered me a free one I'd choose the PS4, but I'm not interested in either of these, or the Wii-U or Ouya or oink-boink or whatever other stupidly named systems there are out there. It just doesn't make sense to blow $500+ on a box that can only play games; and only games from certain publishers, to boot.

Surely most people that could afford these machines already have a need for a PC? Even if they are just browsing the web they probably have a laptop or tablet. If you are interested in games then you'll get a laptop/desktop so you can play games as well as the other stuff you need to do. So where is the justification for spending a tonne of money on another box that also plays games? If you have the money to spare and you really want particular games you can't get on PC then fine, but I can't think of any games that would be worth giving my rig a retarded little brother.

The main function of my 360 was as a monitor stand.

Formerly OBese87.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 00:04
Quote: "where is the justification for spending a tonne of money on another box that also plays games?"

It's cheaper to pay £400 every 7 years for a gaming device, than it is to spend the same money every year on upgrading a gaming PC.

That's a pretty big justification.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 01:05
XBOX - 3
PS4 - 15
PC - 4

I'd choose PC any day just because I don't see the point in having a console when my PC already does everything I need plus more. However I can see the attraction for those with less money to splash about, and maybe for a small selection of games, most are on PC anyway and those that aren't I haven't ever played so I don't know what I'm missing.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA 660Ti 2GB Overclocked, 256GB SSD, 6TB HDD

FPS Files - Free FPS Creator media
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 01:50
Quote: "It's cheaper to pay £400 every 7 years for a gaming device, than it is to spend the same money every year on upgrading a gaming PC."

That isn't even necessary, though. That's an option there to be taken, not one that is mandatory like, oh, having to spend £500 on a new box in order to play the new games.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 02:52 Edited at: 4th Sep 2013 03:02
Quote: "It's cheaper to pay £400 every 7 years for a gaming device, than it is to spend the same money every year on upgrading a gaming PC."

That is 400 odd quid for the XBox One; or as Marcus Beer would say X Boxes, or X Box One with Two boxes, including your Kinect. That's the XBox One, with Two Boxes. OK, make that 3 boxes including your X Box 360.

Ok, £40 for each game you buy for the next 7 years. OK, you gotta pay subscription for XBox live access as well.

OK, did I mention it will become current gen when you buy it; current! OK, did I mention it will become last gen within about 12 months or so after technology advancements. Thats two boxes, not one, possibly three boxes current gen or last gen in your living room.

OK, did I mention that it is not the X Boxes, it is the X Bricks, the big chunky boxes; and quite possibly they will relaunch a more streamlined version like they always do. Perhaps another 400 quid for your living room entertainment area to look more current!

You can pay £400 for a PC equivilent and not need to upgrade it for 7 years too. You just end up upgrading it because you can; which is not possible with consoles.

The good thing about consoles is that they are easy to setup. Anyone who is intimidated of PCs will find the console more welcoming.

Bring back the Amiga or Commodore 64 style consoles IMO. Make them more customizable and creative.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 04:39
PS4: +1.[i][/i]

Web - Tweets
“Typing is no substitution for thinking.”
Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 05:27
The fact that games like the Uncharted series and The Last of Us are console exclusives are enough to make me buy one.

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 06:25
PS4, but won't buy one anyway. I really don't like the subscription services and the social media orientation that consoles are heading. I have never had a really good PC, so sometime shortly I'll be looking to move to PC because

-Its multi-purpose (very big point)
-Plays games better
-Doesn't become 'held' back techwise*

*In saying that PC's don't need to be upgraded every year, for whatever reason people use this as an argument

I will however, keep my PS3 which should still be a great console gaming device for exclusive games.

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download the demo today!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 07:48
PC - 7

Hmm the last time I bought something significant for my PC prior to my free GTX 480... Couple of years ago... Like 2010 when I built it... And yet it can still kick PS4 and XBONE in the nuts cases...

I think consumers need to realise these are for err no skip that... I was going to say Quick forms of entertainment... But my PC can play GTA4 faster than any console and that is from a cold boot up too... Not to mention all the options cranked up to max and running at 2048x1152 (which is my screens max resolution)...

I just wish there weren't any console exclusives... Or some that were originally on the PC as well remain being available on the PC as well... Like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy and many more...

I will only be buying one of each Console this time round for a selection of games like Forza 5/6? And unless the next Metal Gear Solid comes out on PC... I will get it on XBONE... And possibly the PS4 just for the classic PSOne games on the PSN err Network...

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 08:16
Quote: "I hope you will also be buying a PC"

Gaming PC is not cheaper than console with good bunch of games. But if you want lots of games, to play everything that comes out... PC wins, flawless victory.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 10:40
I don't think people can say PCs are intimidating anymore. They're pretty easy to use and people are more computer literate with each generation. Occasionally a PC game won't work for me and I have to troubleshoot for hours to play something and then not actually have time to play it. I don't have that problem with consoles ever. I know it will play.

I like to play on consoles while sitting on the couch, not something I can do with my PC. Plus the vastly larger screen on my tv.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 10:49
Quote: "I like to play on consoles while sitting on the couch, not something I can do with my PC. Plus the vastly larger screen on my tv."

USB JoyPad + plug large screen into your computer

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 10:56
Gaming PC not being in the living room also doesn't help.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 13:42
Quote: "The fact that games like The Last of Us are console exclusives are enough to make me buy one."

That game looks interesting to me, but not $500 interesting, and by the time another console game comes out that interests me I'll probably have forgotten about it.

Formerly OBese87.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 14:36
Quote: "Gaming PC not being in the living room also doesn't help."

The console media hubs make the living room setup a breeze. Making a decent PC based living-room setup requires more imagination; but it could be done with small case slipped above/below your DVD player, plugged into your HDMI/DVI+Audio Input port on the TV.

They sell these PC remote controls now; and media keyboards with touchpads that could be used to navigate your wireless media and games in your house. Just requires a little more creativity.

I feel that having a name brand means a lot to many people who would just stick with the consoles, it is an 'experience' as they say.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 15:10 Edited at: 4th Sep 2013 15:24
Quote: "I feel that having a name brand means a lot to many people who would just stick with the consoles, it is an 'experience' as they say."

The "plug and play" reason is a good reason. According to the comments on shop sites, some people can't even type steam code to activate the game. But this "convenience" is very expensive, for example, at my local store Saints Row IV prices are $75 for PS3 and $20 for PC. I can buy ~4 fresh AAA games instead of 1. But I can't say "hey dude, I play on a console", that means I am a looser or bum.

Quote: "Gaming PC not being in the living room also doesn't help."

Oh, I can understand, sometimes I am sooo lazy! It is very hard to go and buy wireless stuff, move PC or install wiring... You may like this:

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 15:19
XBOX - 3
PS4 - 17

I won't be buying either until there are more games for them, but I'll definitely go with the PS4. Not sure I trust Microsoft anymore.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 15:47
Quote: "Plus the vastly larger screen on my tv."

C'mon big screen! Show me your power!

Yeah, you will say "but on new consoles!" -- you are enjoying current consoles now.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 12:55
We have 20 votes and PS4 wins 17 - 3.

If this turned out to be an accurate representation then XBoxOne will be a complete disaster for Microsoft. I don't think that will happen, we only have 20 votes here and all from techy people who obviously favour PS4 for various reasons.

As for PC vs consoles, I prefer a console for gaming since I work on my PC and don't really want the kids on the PC while I'm wanting to do other things.

mr Handys comparison could easily be made between different PC's, so having a PC does not guarantee you will get the best results. Those PC GTA shots are pretty amazing.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 14:47
Quote: "I work on my PC and don't really want the kids on the PC while I'm wanting to do other things."

THIS! Console is a basic game computer for kids while you are working on a real machine. I hate to setup parent control and user accounts on a PC!

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 16:41
Quote: "We have 20 votes and PS4 wins 17 - 3."

Not really, as most of the PS4 voters said "I won't buy any of them, but if I had to it would be....."
Not really the same as "I'm buying this..."

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 21:30 Edited at: 7th Sep 2013 21:33
At this point in time there probably about 500 million console gamers vs 35 million PC gamers; don't quote me on that, but that is often stated. Even though this is a guess which excludes the tablet market, the console industry is the premiere video-gaming flagship.

What is interesting about the PC game population is its growth, roughly triple growth over the past 5 years.

Most video game programmers are likely to prefer the PC, which is why most people here would be biased towards one. Ask the same question on a steam forum and I think most people will want to buy COD, FIFA this and that on PS4.

I have not heard any argument, fact or opinion from any reliable reviewer or resource-person who supported the X-Box One as a serious console gaming device for the past 6 months.

Microsoft were always more interested in developing a media hub from day one; its just their X-Box 360 team that got excited about their dominance in the console market in that era; the media-hub campaign was put on hold; the X-Box one is that campaign which tried to push its users to be always online; but now with all this X-Box 180 silliness that has been happening, I think Sony will have a huge head-start next year.

Just by looking at the thing, I it looks more like a media hard-drive than a console.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 22:53
Quote: "Just by looking at the thing, I it looks more like a media hard-drive than a console."

Petty objection.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 23:13
Hmm... yeah.. I suppose its appearance doesn't mean much to some people. And yeah, erm, it is a petty objection because there is no point arguing over something that does not concern me if I am not buying a console machine. Brilliant point.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 23:21
It looks okay.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 03:29 Edited at: 8th Sep 2013 03:41
lol, only okay? Why did you not think it looks excellent; or innovative or at least worth $100 more than a PS4?

I wonder how many people would buy it minus the logo...

Well... at least it is bigger than a brick and almost as nice as HP-Compaq PC case; but I am sorry, IMO it looks rubbish!!! With 3 exclamation points. All that time and money those guys are taking off of you and this is all they came up with; even you could have designed a better looking console Mr Handy.. It is sometimes good to keep it simple, void of current trends but boy... The only thing more square is a cube; Apple can make simple designs look cool; but Microsoft have no soul when it comes to hardware design; although the Surface tablet looks quite nice and the chief of that division is taking over the X-Box team.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 03:53
Who cares what it looks like, it's how it functions as a gaming device that it'll be judged on.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 04:38 Edited at: 8th Sep 2013 05:01
I agree, I do not care how it looks like because I am not buying one; and it would be educational for me to find out why you feel it functions better as a gaming device than the PS4 considering it costs $100 more? Or is there no reason, are you an X-Box fan? It is perfectly understandable if you are; I was a Sega fan back in the day , then I was a PSOne fan. Since then I've been a PC fan (not quite the spinny cooling thing).

Anyway like I said before not everyone cares how their entertainment systems look; and my original statement was to reiterate Microsoft's media hub push. I am sure your money will be well spent.

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 08:13
What's that in the last picture? I want one! (looks 2 images up)

never mind . . .

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download the demo today!
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 13:32
That looks like a horizontal PC tower. That's okay. That's a PC after all.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 14:23
Ironically yes...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-16 19:57:42
Your offset time is: 2024-06-16 19:57:42