Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Using VB.net instead of C++ for Tier 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
As AppGameKit Tier 2 can run under MS.net, why cant the SDK work with VB.net? doesn't the 'common runtime language' support other languages beyond Pascal

Perhaps I have this wrong?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 11:33
There is an old .NET version of AppGameKit that runs with C# and VB.Net but it has not been updated for a long time. I have played with it a bit in C# but not in VB. It doesn't look like it will be updated again by the community member that made it though and it is not an official TGC product.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 06:51 Edited at: 8th Sep 2013 06:57
Here's the link. But like baxslash said, it is old and only supports Windows.

You can compile the accompanying C# utility to create updated headers and recompile the wrapper to support the latest version, but it was a pretty hacked together little program and it may not work if some formatting has changed in the Tier 2 AppGameKit headers since that version.

I keep saying I'll get around to updating it myself... if I get bored one day I may do it and throw it up on GitHub. Maybe add some scripts to automate the update for users who want it right when new releases hit.

EDIT: I did post a guide for updating the wrapper.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 00:31 Edited at: 9th Sep 2013 00:43
Thanks Airslide, I hadn't realised there was an autowrap solution available. I'll have a go at compiling it myself when I get the chance, if all goes well I'll suggest it as an optional download for the latest version. That's if it will compile using vs express anyway?

It would be quite handy for making certain tools etc.

EDIT: Are you automatically generating the "header.txt" file somehow or does it have to be manually created?

LittlePIC
Years of Service
User Offline
Many thanks for the above replies. Was looking for mobile development so the Windows only wont work All good, will play with the C++ Tier2 option

Cheers

LittlePIC
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 07:49
Quote: "EDIT: Are you automatically generating the "header.txt" file somehow or does it have to be manually created?"

You have to copy the function prototypes from the AppGameKit header (the ones inside the "agk" static class, although you don't want to copy the class declaration itself), plop them into a text file and run the utility app, which will then export something along the lines of "wrapped.h" which you can use to overwrite the one included in the wrapper. Then compile the wrapper itself and you should be good. VS Express is what I used so it should work fine.

Just make sure not to publicly post the compiled binaries, since they would contain all of AGK's (Windows) functionality.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 11:14
Quote: "You have to copy the function prototypes from the AppGameKit header (the ones inside the "agk" static class, although you don't want to copy the class declaration itself), plop them into a text file and run the utility app, which will then export something along the lines of "wrapped.h" which you can use to overwrite the one included in the wrapper. Then compile the wrapper itself and you should be good. VS Express is what I used so it should work fine."

Thanks, I had a little play last night and I'll be compiling a new wrapper as soon as I get a chance. If possible I'll get Rick to distribute it unless you decide to make an update before I get a chance

Quote: "Just make sure not to publicly post the compiled binaries, since they would contain all of AGK's (Windows) functionality."

Yes, no worries. I won't post it anywhere public, thanks!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 17:20
Quote: "Thanks, I had a little play last night and I'll be compiling a new wrapper as soon as I get a chance. If possible I'll get Rick to distribute it unless you decide to make an update before I get a chance "

That'd be great! Make sure to include the README and anything else it may currently come with. I believe that includes a disclaimer and a link to the Codeplex repo. If there is enough demand for it I'll tidy up the update process, move it to GitHub, and update more regularly. Unfortunately I just don't use AppGameKit right now so it is one of those things that I'm not really caught up on
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 17:50
I think I'll use it more often if it's available, at least for tool making but maybe also so I can embed media and use some other .Net features.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 15:33
@Airslide - After linking everything up and getting a new header file together for the latest Beta (19) I get the following build errors when I try to build the wrapper:

You ain't seen me right?
Ikarus76
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
what version of Visual Studio do you use?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 17:36
VS2010 Express

You ain't seen me right?
Ikarus76
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
try to change the settings at project properties -> C/C++ -> Code Generation -> Runtime Library

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 17:07:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 17:07:36