Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Steam Operating System Announced!

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 20:58
It sounds like a worthy product on FOSS terms.

But, at the end of the day any device that doesn't run my full game library isn't worth it to my mind. There's only one compatible operating system with all the games I've purchased, and until that changes I really don't see any point in installing Steam OS or buying anything like a Steam BOX, not when I have plenty of windows devices around me already.

Having said that, if I can get a steam box and install windows on it, then I might be tempted. But then, doesn't that do away with the point of Steam OS?

Now, if they did an Online Microconsole style thing where the games that don't run natively, get streamed to you over broadband, then I'd be willing to accept that. I like OnLive, but again it just doesn't have the games I want to play a lot of the time, so my MicroConsole largely gets unused.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 21:23
They have said that they will add a in house streaming system to allow you to play your windows games on your steambox using a windows machine to stream it. That woul (hopefully) allow you to play your whole windows library on the steambox. Also, there are more games avalible right now than I had thought, almost 30% of my steam games run on linux

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 06:31:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 06:31:34