Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Failed to create sound instance

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 12:32
So I got a few work colleagues to test my new app at the office and it worked fine except on one machine.

It's failing on the audio with the error..

Failed to create sound instance at line xx

Does anyone have an idea what might be the cause. I went through the wav files and a couple were 11khz samples so I upped them to 22k, but the error still occurred.

so every sample is now 22k or 44k, but I have a mix of stereo and mono.

All the PC's were running windows 7 64bit.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 12:43
How many instances are you using though?

I mean, how many sounds are you trying to play at once, or seperately, a lot of devices have a limit of 32 channels, like the iPad2 - so it might just be a limit behind the scenes, that is affecting the sound hardware on that particular PC. Maybe that one PC is a little older, with a slightly older sound card that has less channels available.

Sound effects should be fine at 11khz, not that it's ideal quality - but up-rating a sound file from 11khz to 22 or 44khz, well it's pointless unless the software is doing some seriously miraculous filtering. You are really just doubling or quadrupling the file size for the same sound quality. What might be worth looking into is whether or not the sounds are stereo, as they would take more processor power and memory. Any sounds that can be mono, should be mono.

I wish AppGameKit had just a few more commands for sounds, it's depressingly similar to DBPro in that regard.

I am the one who knocks...
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 12:49
The program fails on the menu screen. There is just music playing in the background and no other sound effects at the point that it fails.

I tried upping the sample rate just to test if it was the issue. (btw 11khz is fine for some low frequency fx)

I didn't have any plans to use the PC build, and everything seems fine on the android / ios versions I've tested so far.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 12:54
Is it an MP3 file for the music?

Just wondering if you'd need DX installed on the PC to be able to play MP3 files.

I am the one who knocks...
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 13:45
The music is mp3 and DX is installed.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 17:31
Show your menu loop?