Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Video must be at DEPTH -1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2013 23:21
It appears we cannot have text or sprites on top of video in AGK. This ability was in DBPro. I have my sprites set to ZERO but I still don't see them if I play the video.

The video is supposed to be the background for a menu screen. I was doing this in DBPro with success. I am now trying to convert my pre-existing code to AppGameKit with success except for this issue.

Any plans to allow images, sprites and text over video?

If this can already be done please let me know.

www.mindsclay.com
lucifermagus.mindsclay.com (not working with Firefox)
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2013 23:39
It is a known thing that the Video plays on top of everything else.

I don't know if they plan to work it differently. It comes down to how the video is handled on the platforms. Same issue as talked about before. It is handled as a separate thread that controls its own display and doesn't interact with the rest of the display built by AGK.

If I am wrong, someone at TGC will be sure to point out my error.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
mindsclay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2013 00:06
I could try an animated sprite, but wow, lots of frames!

www.mindsclay.com
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2013 00:24
I think you might find that an animated sprite might be smaller than your video file. And that is a good thing. It would also be better controlled in AGK.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
One of the proposed feature enhancements from the community survey many months ago was to allow video to be stored on a single sprite so that they could be manipulated and arranged like any other component. No idea if that request was ever worked on or not, but it would help accommodate more uses for such media. Currently video has very limited capabilities and you can't do much with it.
mindsclay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2013 01:52
It actually is taking longer to load to my device during broadcast and plays back slower than the video.

I am still working on a method to SetSpriteImage in the main loop of the menu. But for some reason I am having an issue with pre-loading the images.

Is there a limit to the image indexing? Actually, is there a list of the limits some where I can reference so I don't have to find out the hard way? I have spent way too many hours merely trying to play an animation in the background.

www.mindsclay.com
mindsclay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2013 02:34
The method I came up with works on Windows as long as I only load no more than 40 images on Windows, but crashes on my Nook.

The method cycles through images using SetSpriteImage.

The alternative method that doesn't crash on Nook uses AddSpriteAnimationFrame to build an animated sprite, but the playback on Nook is really slow.

I am trying to workaround not being able to have sprites over video, but I don't see a way that works on both Windows and my Nook device.

Hopefully, version 2 will come to the rescue??

using: AppGameKit V108 build19

www.mindsclay.com
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2013 02:55
How big are the images you are using for the animation?

For the sprite animations I do, I use one file with the images laid out in a grid. Then I use the SetSpriteAnimation command to indicate the size and number of images for the frames and the PlaySprite and StopSprite commands to start and stop the animation. It all works in the background and is fairly efficient.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
mindsclay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2013 21:41
I was referring to video, so bigger than the average sprite. I started with 1280x720 but now I am down to 640x360. The later seems to working fine for my purposes.

www.mindsclay.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 06:06:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 06:06:57