Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NaNoWriMo 2013 anyone?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2013 13:15
Is anyone planning on doing NaNoWriMo this year? I know we've had a few people here try in the past, but don't know if anyone's won. (Sepp?)

Either way, I'm trying it this year, if anyone else here is, it'd be great for support!

ArK 48k
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for reminding me; I usually forget and miss out. But thanks to your thread I'm now registered and ready to write. Good Luck to you
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2013 11:15
Awesome! Good luck to you too

Any idea what you're gonna write yet?

ArK 48k
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been playing around with an urban fantasy story. Something along the lines of, Breaking Bad meets Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Whats your game plan?
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 11:28
That sounds pretty cool. Never read any comics, so I'm not familiar with Sandman, but I like Breaking Bad. Good luck!

I'm thinking of some kind of comedic detective thriller story. Something along the lines of the Dirk Gently books by Douglas Adams

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 16:42
I start one every year but never finish. I seem to fall short lol. This has to be the year!

I'm playing around with a concept of a mentally disabled girl who from the outside looks like she's unaware of the world around her at times. But actually her "soul" transports through space and time to a forgotten planet where she becomes a warrior who battles dark beasts. With of course the help of her best friend, a loyal dog.

Idk, still working on the details. But I'm actually kinda getting into this story so hopefully it makes it easier to write.

Inmortalis Nox
ArK 48k
Years of Service
User Offline
A mentally disabled girl who can transmigrate at will... Take my money Now, no seriously; take it XD

Quote: "I'm thinking of some kind of comedic detective thriller story. Something along the lines of the Dirk Gently books by Douglas Adams"

Excellent concept. The noir detective genre has been a little stale of late, hopefully a shot of British wit could shake it up a bit. LOL. I hope everyone here posts a link to there work (if that's aloud of course) I would very much like to read your efforts.
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2013 01:39
@Josh: Bound to get there some year! Your plot sounds interesting, I look forward to reading what you've done Good luck!

@Ark: Heh, I hope my wit is up to scratch then I'm definitely gonna post up what I've done at the end of it, sounds like there could be some good stories here in a month or so!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 15:48
You can start earning badges!

Two more days until start. Just a tad bit excited and impatient to start.

Inmortalis Nox
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 11:38
Quote: "but don't know if anyone's won. (Sepp?)"

Yep, did it in 2008. And yes, I'm aiming to do it again. I've started one today. What am I doing? I've decided to have my hand at fan ficiton, not something I've really done until recently. I run a roleplaying group on FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, so I've decided to write the whole backstory for one of my characters. I see NaNoWriMo as a great writing exercise and it gives me a great opportunity to flesh out this character for Role playing purposes.

I've not got any samples as I've only just started, but I've written fiction around my other character in the roleplay.

http://piratesofawaywardstar.enjin.com/forum/m/15364506/viewthread/8024717-saefinns-history

http://piratesofawaywardstar.enjin.com/forum/m/15364506/viewthread/9149477-captains-downfall-story

The stories of the two characters do eventually meet, but it should give you an idea of the sort of thing I'm going for.

Anyway, my author info:
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/seppuku

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 12:18
Nice one, Good luck with this year then! I read your snippet from the one you finished, was really interesting - any plans to release the whole thing anywhere?

I just got started as well despite only really planning it out properly last night xD It's going fairly well so far, writing the prologue at the moment which is VERY different from the rest of the novel.

How's everyone else getting on?

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 18:00 Edited at: 1st Nov 2013 18:01
Spent the morning going over my story arch and reorganizing how I want to tell this story. Actually looks like this may become a series if I can pull off the first novel lol. Did some changing around, here's the new title and short synapses;

The Princess of Time and Space
[i]Book 1: The Beast that Can't be Tamed[/i]

A girl regarded as abnormal, through her darkest times, transports through space and time to become a Princess of the Galaxy. A shadow weaves into the heart of a people, consuming their hopes and casting them into endless fear. Whispers of a terrible beast echo from the deep corners of the galaxy, a monster consumed by darkness threatening to devour all of time and space. Only a pure of soul can purge the shadow and defeat the beast that can't be tamed...

Remember everyone, you need to write 1662 words a day to finish...blahhh

Inmortalis Nox
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 02:38
Alright done with day one lol. Here's a link to my novel if anyone wants to follow.

LINK

1726 words and chapter one is complete! Here's a small excerpt from chapter one if anyone is interested.

The Princess of Time and Space
Book 1
The Beast that Can’t be Tamed

Chapter 1
The Girl that No One Sees(excerpt)

The sky shifts rapidly as the entire room begins to move through space and time. The walls fall away to reveal a very small and beautiful planetoid. Purple metallic grass dance in the cosmic waves that sweep over it. Small red trees with strange orange and yellow spiral fruits rock back and forth as the planetoid shifts directions and picks up speed. The old man plants himself back into his chair with a grin from ear to ear. He watches through the large screen, the planet seems to be on autopilot, traveling to a destination in a nearby galaxy. Tears roll from his eyes as the realization finally settles in. He has been waiting a very long time. Searching a thousand years in a thousand galaxy’s in all of space and time. For that one. That one anomaly. His voice cracks as emotion fills his voice,
“I have found him...I have found the pure soul.”

Inmortalis Nox

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-29 05:24:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-29 05:24:22