Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Mobile Application Design and Development Course

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 17:12 Edited at: 8th Oct 2013 17:16
App Game Kit has gone professional! That is, you can now be regarded as a professional by earning an industry certification through Et Tu Create, World Education, and webprofessionals.org

If you are a school teacher interested in the course visit www.ctelearning.com for more information, if you are part of post secondary education ( college or university ) then visit www.worldeducation.net for development work visit www.ettucreate.com
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 17:57
Looks good. I just might do this.

But I have a couple of comments.

1. Intel has dropped their AppUp store (the one supported in AGK). So, you might need to alter the video and course for another Windows distribution method.
2. And for iOS and Mac using Xcode, I am betting you will need to change that. I just finished updating my Mac (both core OS and Xcode) to deal with Xcode 5 and iOS 7. And Apple (blippety...blippety..$%) has almost completely changed the interface. (But I was still able to build, install and test the interpreters and templates and my own Tier 2 WIP).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 19:18 Edited at: 8th Oct 2013 19:20
1. We don't teach IntelApp Store at all, instead I teach app deployment using InstallForge.

2. I'm using XCODE 5 and iOS 7 just fine with AppGameKit Player, and I've built apps for it. My instructions are based on what I've done.

Please note this course is sold to schools, universities and colleges, the only way to take it is to do so through worldeducation.net or apply through a participating K12 school. This isn't intended for sale on an individual basis, but through various education institutions.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 19:29
1. Cool
2. Great. I was just a little concerned. I have been having no difficulty with the combo (once my Mac finished all the downloads and updates to get to where I could get Xcode 5 installed).

I had figured out that I'd have to go through worldeducation.net. I did not expect that this was an individual thing at all.

I see this as a very good thing. And, assuming I plan to develop multiple mobile apps (and I do), a good credential to have.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 20:48
Absolutely, I just passed the exam myself, I'm now an accredited industry professional. I've also learned a lot. We have industry professionals in the course giving tips on UX (user experience, something I've never heard of before) introducing students to soft skills as well as programming skills, tips on marketing and deployment, and managing a whole application life cycle from concept design to production. It's been exciting to write and produce for this course, and I've learned a great deal from these experts. It's been an amazing few months developing this project with the team.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm sure it is very instructive, but I am concerned by the "Industry Certification" part. I mean I am a fairly competent AppGameKit programmer (Tier 1), however I would have no chance to develop commercially. I am pretty sure if I followed this course, I would be in the same boat. I am doubtful a certificate would help me get the foot in the door so to speak. Also my maths is lousy, so I don't consider myself anything but a hobbyist programmer.
I'm all for this sort of thing, but I am a little worried people who go for it will be having high expectations of getting a job from it. Which, to be honest is unlikely, most employers will be looking for degrees. Also, more importantly, they will be looking for HTML, Java and C++ skills rather than AppGameKit, although AppGameKit does support C++ dev.
Still, I am only going by my experience to date. It could be a fantastic program to go for!

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Congrats Daniel, it seems like a very well polished course!
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 21:37 Edited at: 8th Oct 2013 23:26
@DVader, the only difference between an industry language and a non-industry language is whether or you can get acredited for it. If you can make functional, useful apps with Tier 1 AppGameKit that's all most clients require. If you want to go beyond Tier 1 and into Tier 2 there is nothing stopping you from doing so. You'll need to relearn the syntax and core bits of C++ but all the useful AppGameKit commands you learn here can be deployed in C++ as well.

@xCept

Thanks! We've put a lot of effort into it. This course has more than 150 videos, supporting text, DIY examples, WCIM's (What Can I Make?) as well as a wide range of How-To's and post-course support. Not to mention at Post Secondary level I myself and other course developers will personally be teaching it. So if we run across problems we can update and adjust the course on the fly with new videos and content, perhaps even replace content if required. I'm not exaggerating when I say there is nothing else like this in education at the moment.
eborr
Years of Service
User Offline
First of all best of luck with the course, I hope it works out. I am however quite troubled when I read words like industry accreditation and certification. What industry? and who is doing the accreditation ?

Having worked in education for the past few years(although it is my intention to leave soon and return to the IT industry full time) I am very chary of accreditation bodies, and having to say to students that this certificate from XYZ organisation, is worthless to me as an educator, and also to the IT industry as a whole.

If you want to sign up to the course because you want to be a better AppGameKit programmer then go for it, the stuff I have got from Daniel has been good, but if you are looking on it as a stepping stone into a career be cautious and do your due diligance, remember that even in formal education there is a degree and a "degree".

Do you really think that a degree from Bucks New University(Rank 119) is the equivalent to a degree from Oxford.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 16:51
webprofessionals.org are the accreditation body. They provide accreditations in web design, e-commerce, small business skills, and others.

Not everyone gets to go to oxford, or MIT or any of the big institution names so that's a very unfair comparison. You can't compare AppGameKit, or DBPro to the likes of C++ either. We all exist and operate within our own spheres of influence and market places. But this is a real step forward. Before AppGameKit was purely a hobbyist language, now it's becoming a skill you'll be able to earn with, and not just by submitting your app to Google Play. I'm still under NDA for many things so there's not a lot I can expand on right now, all I can say is plans are afoot, so please wish us luck and show some enthusiasm! AppGameKit is a worthy product, it produces great apps and a fraction of the effort and the more people who recognise this the better AGK's future will be.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 17:33
@Daniel TGC
Quote: "
I just passed the exam myself, I'm now an accredited industry professional."

i am a littlebit confused of this website ettucreate.com.
how can i start this course?
it is free or did you had paid (and how much) for it?
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 22:19
The developer company (the group I'm working with) is www.ettucreate.com

The distributor (the guys you buy the course from) is worldeducation.net

The association that hosts the final exams, gives final accreditation can be found at webprofessionals.org

The course is not free. It is being sold to Secondary schools (so ask your teacher about it) and to colleges/ universities (again speak to your college/ university about it).
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 23:22 Edited at: 9th Oct 2013 23:22
None of the links at http://webprofessionals.org/ work at all.

Would this be something that one could get certified in by taking the exam without going through the full course, which apparently requires that we be enrolled in a endorsed college? What are the approximate costs of such a program?
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 23:49
@Daniel TGC
ahh, ok , thanks
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 01:11
Yes! We're getting in contact with the webprofessionals.org I apologise for this! It's just bad timing, the webprofessionals.org has been around for 20 years, and they are approved to deliver industry certification by the US Government who provide training dollars for it to schools and collages. So despite the current issues with the site they are a pretty big deal in the US.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 01:43
Just a quick update, we contacted the webprofessionals.org and they fixed it within 20 minutes. So that's not bad going. You can browse to your hearts content now.
eborr
Years of Service
User Offline
Sods law I suppose that you go to a web professionals site and it;s downn, however I would have thought they would have five nines reliability as their bench mark.

Now the credentials shown on the organisation strongly suggest that web professionals is a well supported group in respect of a level of academic and industry support, providing some sort of coherence to a field which is not particularly well understood, certainly there is no comparable body in the UK providing guidance.

However and this is a big but, accreditation is only valid if the accreditation is widely accepted, in otherwords it is an exchangable currency.

Even "industry standard" vendors qualifications have taken time to bed in and the only ones which are really common currency at those by Microsoft and CISCO.

If someone asked my advice on this programme, I would say the following, that the principle developer of the course has produced good materials in the past.You should evaluate the course in respect of what it will teach you, to what extent you will become a better programmer, and how that will improve your employability prospects, help you write code to make money, or simply give you more satisfaction and pleasure as a hobbyist developer. If the certification makes your more employable, then that's a bonus.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2013 17:19
I am now a certified professional in the field of application design. Yay!

If any of you beat my 90% result in the future post it! lol, perhaps I should have read the industry chapters the other writers wrote?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2013 18:09
It says 'Apprentice Level'. Aw, come on, you must be higher than that?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2013 18:16
lol, no that sounds about right. You know what they say about those who teach.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 13:53:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 13:53:34