Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / A problem with texturing models exported from Blender in AGK...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2013 13:44
For the last couple of weeks, (Since I discovered that the old modeller I used to use doesn't work under Windows 7 or 8, seems it's been a while since I last made a model) most of my spare time has been devoted to learning to use Blender.

I have now reached a point where I have successfully made the models for the level, but I am having issues texturing them.

Initially I tried simple tiled textures. I'm using 4 or 5 256 x 256 seamless textures. It took me a while before it looked right in Blender, but when I exported it and loaded it into AppGameKit it didn't load the Textures automatically (Like I was somehow expecting? DBP always used to do this). Neither could I load the images individually and texture the object with code using the [I]SetObjectImage()[/I] command.

I know that I could unwrap the model, and use a single texture to cover it; but I'm certain that'd involve massive textures and I'd rather stick to smaller ones as my project is aimed at mobile devices.

I also don't seem to be able to tile the UV data (To allow me to texture a wall with a repeated section of the UV map) and get it to load into AppGameKit properly.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? Or is this something that I'm going to have to wait for V2 before I'm able to load in Textured 3D models properly.

Thank you in advance,

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2013 14:15
Well, to get repeating textures, there is a command that affects the image, like setimageUVwrap - it's something like that, I don't have AppGameKit handy to be able to check.

To be honest, I think having multiple textures on an .OBJ model is a bad idea - the format and material handling is just a nightmare, and I'm not sure that AppGameKit even supports it all, not without using a shader IMO. I might be wrong. I've only made 1 model for an AppGameKit project, a fruit machine - I ended up just splitting it into a body, 3 reels, and a handle, then animating with code, texturing with just a loaded image - that's as much as I felt comfortable doing with AppGameKit in it's current state. I think it might be more beneficial to look at the shader support, maybe that can take better control over things.

DBPro is a bit more cut and dry - .X model states the texture file, or you just texture to a specific layer - with AppGameKit and .OBJ files, well materials and stuff are handled with separate files - it'll get messy no matter what you do.

I am the one who knocks...
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2013 14:37
@Van B:
I think what I shall have to do is split the longer walls into smaller sections, and then texture them individually with a UV mapped texture (not tiled). It's not ideal, and I hope it doesn't have too much of an adverse affect on performance.

I was hoping to avoid shaders if I could for this project, that's a whole lot more learning I'd need to do before I could do anything useful with shaders.

Thank you for your advice anyway

I wonder what kind of capabilities .AGO files will have when they are properly introduced?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2013 16:28
Well I'd at least expect better texturing support - even if it means manually setting the textures, that's fine because that gives us the chance to optimize things, like using lower res textures on slower devices etc - things that we should take control over and would be more difficult with automatic texture assignment.

I'd like to see support for object limbs, boned animation and skeleton support, hierarchy animation - but AGK2 will probably get that first I reckon.

Shaders can be a bit tricky, probably quite a steep learning curve with those - they aren't as straightforward as the PC ones. Sad to say though, you might struggle to get decent lighting without using a shader - I am sure though, that the basic lighting shaders will be straightforward - you won't be on your own if you have issues with lighting, lots of people around here with experience of this now.

I am the one who knocks...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 23:09:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 23:09:41