Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Linux Distros

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 00:41 Edited at: 17th Oct 2013 18:30
I have been using Ubuntu for a few years now but I'm not liking the direction the OS is taking, so I thought I'd check out some other GNUL (GNU+Linux) distributions.
Here\'s a list I put together of ones to try out, please share your experiences if you\'ve used any of them:

Arch
Debian
Elementary OS
Fedora
Mandriva
Mint
Open SUSE
Pinguy OS
SolydK
Zorin

List of FSF Approved Distro's: [href]www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html[/href]

I am posting from Elementary OS right now, it\'s the first one I\'ve tried so far and so far I love it! Everything is really clean, crisp, well integrated and intuitive. It is based on Ubuntu so it\'s not much of a leap for me but it feels a lot nicer and runs a lot faster, even though I am only running it off a USB stick at the moment.

Formerly OBese87.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 02:39
Try Kolibri! Not a Linux distro, but it's amazing (even if it is basically useless)

formerly MissJoJo - Audacia Games
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 03:18
Kolibri is awesome. Ran that on a pretty low powered VM setup, and it was damn responsive. Booted in less than five seconds and apps started into a fully responsive state near instantly. Not bad!

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 05:15
Might I recommend trying out the distros supported by the FSF? Something on this list is what I plan on switching to when the time comes to upgrade OSes again.

http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 07:15
I think I'm going to try Elementary myself. But right now I'm running Mint in a VM and it's nice. Doesn't play too nice with XFCE but that's ok.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2013 18:06
I found this sweet diagram of the family tree of Debian. (Nerdiest thing anyone has ever said btw.)

Quote: "Might I recommend trying out the distros supported by the FSF? Something on this list is what I plan on switching to when the time comes to upgrade OSes again."

I'll add those to the OP. I installed Trisquel on my rig but was too nooby to get much working. I support the principles of the Free Software Movement, and I'd like to contribute to it if I can, but their policy of excluding everything proprietary has obviously made them a bit harder to use since there is less support. I'm going to dual boot Elementary OS and a Free OS so that I can gradually get to grips with it as I learn more about GNU/Linux and cut my reliance on proprietary software.

Quote: "Try Kolibri! Not a Linux distro, but it's amazing (even if it is basically useless)"

Wow, I watched a video of it and it had booted up before the guy finished saying, "And now it's going to boot up."

Formerly OBese87.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 01:27
Quote: "Wow, I watched a video of it and it had booted up before the guy finished saying, "And now it's going to boot up." "

Yes, Kolibri is amazing, it is actually written entirely in assembly language, which is why it's so fast. It's less than 5 Mb's as well, and includes the entire GUI as well as quite a few programs and games.

The main problem of course, is that it has practically no useful programs on it (Image editor, good web browser, text processor etc)

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 02:51
I tried knoppix, found it unstable and buggy. Personally, I like Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu.

I see that Kolibri is forked from Menuet, but Menuet is still active so what's the difference?

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 14:08
Quote: "Yes, Kolibri is amazing, it is actually written entirely in assembly language, which is why it's so fast. It's less than 5 Mb's as well, and includes the entire GUI as well as quite a few programs and games.

The main problem of course, is that it has practically no useful programs on it (Image editor, good web browser, text processor etc)"

It sounds like DOS is better in that case. It's small, boots fast, and runs quite a lot of software.

Your erased has been moderated by signature.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 15:42
I tried Elementary OS. I don't like it very much. *shrug* I think I'll try CrunchBang next.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 02:04
Quote: "It sounds like DOS is better in that case. It's small, boots fast, and runs quite a lot of software. "

Why not at all!
Kolibri comes with DosBox in which case it does have quite a lot of software..... just not very good software

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 21:08 Edited at: 31st Oct 2013 21:13
May I recommend Antix if you're looking for speed and stability. From personal experience, Antix is far more stable than Ubuntu and you can add Ubuntu repos to it as it's part of the Debian family (though far more Debian-alike than Ubuntu lately). I actually have a laptop (1.7GHz Celeron, 1GB RAM, Intel GFX) running Antix 12 with Fluxbox (simple but awesome Window Manager). It's very lightweight and when my system is idle it uses ~40MB RAM so essentially any ram in use is being used by programs. Things I do on my Antix Box:

More info: http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Since you're an Ubuntu user already, you could always try Kubuntu which is essentially Ubuntu with KDE instead of that ghastly Unity. There's also Bodhi (Ultra-lieghtweight) which is a much better alternative to Lubuntu IMO.

Edit: BTW Zorin isn't even worth looking at. It's essentially a bad attempt at making Ubuntu look and feel like Windows. It crashed on my PC and on my laptop multiple times. Also, it doesn't stay true to the spirit of free software.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Why is it that the only good looking Linux distro I've seen is elementary?

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 03:54
Gnome 3 is actually quite nice, so I'm running Debian Sid with Openbox and Gnome 3. Finally got my dual monitor setup working properly.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 17:51
I've attached a screenshot of what my desktop currently looks like. I still have a ways to go on the Conky and xcompmgr settings, but I'm starting to like it a lot. Plus, you can customize Openbox's right-click menu which is really nice.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 22:28
I've just installed Linux Mint xfce and it has instantly become my favourite OS. I love customization and xfce offers it on almost everything. You could probably make a parody of any other distro with xfce. I might try that actually and see how close I can get it to the real thing.

Formerly OBese87.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2013 02:18
The only thing I didn't like about xfce is that it doesn't look as smooth as gnome 3. Plus, you can't customize certain menus(like the right-click menu).

Inflictive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2013 22:05 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2013 22:05
Quote: "Arch
Debian
Fedora
Mandriva
Mint
Pinguy
SolydK
Zorin"

Sorry, I'm not interested in Pokémon.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2013 23:52
Well that's needlessly negative.

And since when does Fedora sound like a Pokemon? It's a hat!

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 15:14
Smells like troll. A very inexperienced troll too.

<Posted from my Linux Box, too, lol>

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-29 02:30:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-29 02:30:19