Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Watch Dogs delay wounds games maker Ubisoft

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 20:03
Quote: "Shares in video games firm Ubisoft have slumped by 26% after it delayed the release of two much-anticipated titles. Hacker-themed Watch Dogs and open-world racing game The Crew have both been postponed until the publisher's next financial year, which begins in April."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24554511

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2013 04:13
Good for them.

Rain Man
Years of Service
User Offline
I swore I'd never buy another Ubisoft game after I installed Silent Hunter III and the StarForce drivers screwed up my CD drive.

Ten minutes to Wapner.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 13:25
A game is being delayed until it's actually finished? The horror!
No chance of me buying a Ubisoft game though because of their creepy DRM.

Formerly OBese87.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 14:04 Edited at: 19th Oct 2013 14:05
So, As I see no point in buying a DVD stored game as I am now on Fibre, let us look at the options...

10GB~ size product on Steam, average time to download Under 1 hour
10GB~ size product on Origin, average time to download Under 1 hour
10GB~ size product on UPlay, average time to download Under OVER 1 Week

I see why I do not buy Ubisoft games now... [I was given Assassins Creed III for free lol]

But yeah they also make silly decisions, but I forgot most of them now, so I might buy.. oh no I won't...

I could not stand their presentations earlier this year... headache!

EDIT

Correction... in Bold and underline is removed...

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 17:23
This shows the short-sightedness of investors, they are pulling out of Ubisoft now to make a quick buck over Christmas.

Formerly OBese87.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 18:20
Quote: "No chance of me buying a Ubisoft game though because of their creepy DRM."

I'm not familiar with this though? I know of Uplay but.. what else?`

I'll probably get it because it's a fresh concept which i'm intruiged by - this in of itself proves to me that they also care about this - whether it be for money or not.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 19:01
Quote: "I know of Uplay but.. what else?`"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/07/30/hacker-claims-ubisoft-uplay-drm-is-a-rootkit-and-poses-security-risk/
This is why proprietary software is scary, you don't know what it's getting up to. I didn't mean to single out Ubisoft, they aren't doing anything worse than any other company that uses DRM, as far as I know.

Formerly OBese87.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 19:21
not sure if i get exactly what it is doing though? :S

ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2013 05:18
Are we supposed to be mad at Ubisoft? Sometimes games take longer than they thought they would. Just make it good.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2013 11:43
I think it's a lot better that they delay it than release it when it's broken. Both for us users and them as a company. Far to many games get released broken because someone wants more money around christmas

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2013 12:52
Quote: "No chance of me buying a Ubisoft game though because of their creepy DRM."

Don't have that problem on consoles.... (Awaits pointless console v PC war... again)

I generally don't buy UbiSoft games as they're usually crap. I'm not a 12 year old girl so Dance Central and their DS games are out. Driver was crap so no-one bought that. That leaves Assassin's creed. Of which I've already finished them. (Thanks Microsoft for my free copy, the only reason I played these games!)

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2013 14:17
Quote: "Don't have that problem on consoles.... (Awaits pointless console v PC war... again)"

I MIGHT get this one on console... problem is I seriously can't for the life of me aim on consoles, anything with shooting in it, and I can't play it, that's sadly just the way it is :/
I bought The last of us, ended up having to play on easy so i could get "aim helper" on - because i'd miss 70% of my shots. Havent bought GTA for consoles because well... I'd not be able to shoot.

I'd have no problem with "exclusive" titles, if I could aim them.

On the other hand, this is ubisoft.. so the port to PC will probably not be that great either. (the first AC titles had decent ports, the newer ones are just lazy crap.)

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 17:38
Quote: "Don't have that problem on consoles.... (Awaits pointless console v PC war... again)"

Are you kidding? Consoles are DRM machines.

Formerly OBese87.
creamtown
Years of Service
User Offline
WTF.. Is this true and confirmed already? Damn.. i've been looking forward to see this game this holiday season and suddenly Ubisoft thorns my dream apart. Thanks Ubisoft!! Hopefully, they don't cancel AC IV as this is the only exciting game coming from this company.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2013 18:22
Quote: "Hopefully, they don't cancel AC IV"

Nothing has been canceled, they have just made the descition to delay the release of the game until they feel like it's finished. This is a descition that more publishers/developers should make instead of releasing broken games that need months of patches before they can be considerd finished, far to many games are rushed to the market because the shareholders of the publishers want their precious money

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 21:28
Quote: "Consoles are DRM machines."

Really?? No home internet currently, I put the disk in the drive and the game works. I don't have a problem with that.

No activation codes, no phoning home, no dongle checks, no checking the forth letter of the seventeenth word on page 3 of the user manual.

Keep your PC games, I'm all for these new fangled DRM machines!

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 22:34
when i can use my mouse with the console, i'll consider a full on switch ; )

but as of now, consoles I use for certain specific games.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2013 19:03
A mouse, for driving games?? Don't assume all gamers are FPS or RTS nerds.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2013 19:14
Quote: "but as of now, consoles I use for certain specific games."

in those certain specific games, driving games are included.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 21:28
Rather delay the release than release it and then have to release tons of patches.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 13:32
Quote: "Really?? No home internet currently, I put the disk in the drive and the game works. I don't have a problem with that."

DRM existed long before the internet.

Quote: "A mouse, for driving games?? Don't assume all gamers are FPS or RTS nerds."

Your facetiousness is really irritating. Quik obviously was not talking about driving games, nor was he "assuming" anything about other people.

Formerly OBese87.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 15:50
Quick FPS mouse questions since I am a consoler:

Would a mouse not be super accurate all the time, perhaps taking away any skill requirement?
Unless your mouse was rubbish, putting you at a disadvantage?

Wouldn't a mouse limit your freedom to sit how you like when playing the game?

I can't imagine ever wanting to play a FPS with a mouse or keyboard, I tried it a little with Planetside 2 but my PC is not for gaming so it struggled

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 17:00 Edited at: 5th Nov 2013 17:28
Quote: "Wouldn't a mouse limit your freedom to sit how you like when playing the game?"

yes it would - but then, for any kind of competetive gaming, you shouldnt be sitting in the sofa anyway xD

edit: With competetive gaming I mean anything multiplayer, against people.
Quote: "Would a mouse not be super accurate all the time, perhaps taking away any skill requirement?
Unless your mouse was rubbish, putting you at a disadvantage?"

A mouse is much much more accurate than a stick, It doesnt "take away any skill" since everyone uses them - and are on the same "gear level" as you.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 17:24
Quote: ""Wouldn't a mouse limit your freedom to sit how you like when playing the game?""

Thats the reason I have started playing some games with a controller. But for anything where I need to aim quickly, I prefer a mouse

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 17:41
Yes, I suppose if everyone is mouse-ing it then more skilful players will shine through.

Sitting at a keyboard and mouse does not seem game friendly, controllers are designed for gaming and are therefore should be the most comfortable way to play.

And if everyone is on a controller then there is no need to worry about being at a disadvantage, therefore perhaps PC gamers are forced to stick with the mouse for competitive gaming since using a controller would be a disadvantage.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 18:00
Quote: "Sitting at a keyboard and mouse does not seem game friendly, controllers are designed for gaming and are therefore should be the most comfortable way to play."

matter of opinion, I dislike the controllers in of itself, MAINLY because it, compared to keyboard and mouse restricts me, and also because i'm way more used with keyboard and mouse.

Quote: "And if everyone is on a controller then there is no need to worry about being at a disadvantage, therefore perhaps PC gamers are forced to stick with the mouse for competitive gaming since using a controller would be a disadvantage."

Absolutly it mostly comes down to personal opinions here, but since i'm "serious about my gaming" I just cant get into multiplayer on consoles, or even shooters at all. Fighting games, RPG games and driving games? ABSOLUTLY i'll play it on a console. Anything that requires finesse with the "camera"? No, no I just can't.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 18:38
One other issue with controllers is the limited amount of buttons avalible which forces developers to use the same button for a ton of things and that usualy gets carried over to PC ports aswell

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 19:32
Yarrr for the console war! /offtop

Quote: "Wouldn't a mouse limit your freedom to sit how you like when playing the game?"

In ye olde good times we, the nerded PC players, were playing Counter Strike. And we all were aiming not in the enemy itself but in the few pixels, sometimes 1 pixel = head. That was awesome, to kill enemy on the other side of the map with deagle or AK. So sitting on the sofa will put your in big disadvantage in shooter unless you are playing kiddy shooter in close quarters and autoaim.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 19:46
Quote: "So sitting on the sofa will put your in big disadvantage in shooter unless you are playing kiddy shooter in close quarters and autoaim."

right, kiddy shooter. Explain?

Quote: "Yarrr for the console war! /offtop"

Would hardly call this a "war", this is the most civilised console war i've ever had in that case =P

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 21:26
Quote: "right, kiddy shooter. Explain?"

Any modern shooter, like COD. CS was the last tough one. Aim helpers? HP regen? Graphics? Pff. You can call me an old geezer.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 23:21
I think ultimately people are going to prefer what they are used to and what they have been doing for years.

Even sitting up close to the screen it's nice to be able to orientate yourself into slightly different positions and stay comfortable, this is harder with a keyboard and mouse.

This is not a console war, as far as I know you can game on a PC with a controller.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 06:37
Quote: "Any modern shooter, like COD. CS was the last tough one. Aim helpers? HP regen? Graphics? Pff. You can call me an old geezer."

Aim helpers exist on consoles, because of how inaccurate the sticks are. It has nothing to do with cod in of itself.
I love both CS, Battlefield, Cod, heck I liked the multiplayer in Max Payne 3.

Quote: "Even sitting up close to the screen it's nice to be able to orientate yourself into slightly different positions and stay comfortable, this is harder with a keyboard and mouse. "

You are absolutly right about this one It's a lot harder and it can even cause back pain if you're not careful.
I do enjoy to game on console, from time to time^^ But I rather play casual games, or.. games that doesnt require me to DO much. Like fahrenheit, Heavy rain (havent tried this one yet..) and beyond two souls (in the middle of playing this one right now)

Anything that requires me to aim is REALLLY hard for me. (I ended up playing the last of us at the easiest difficulty, with autoaim on.)

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 10:33 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 10:50
I moved this post to posting competition as the discussion was not connected with Watch Dogs in any way.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 11:26
Quote: "Even sitting up close to the screen it's nice to be able to orientate yourself into slightly different positions and stay comfortable, this is harder with a keyboard and mouse."

Completely agree. Joypads aren't as accurate for shooters, but to be honest they do the job, and I can still have fun when using them. One of the things I liked about the wiimote+nunchuck was that your hands weren't stuck in the same position all the time, as is the case with usual controllers. It's just a lot more comfortable.

Your erased has been moderated by signature.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 15:59
Quote: "I moved this post to posting competition as the discussion was not connected with Watch Dogs in any way."

Discussing wether I can play the game or not seems quite connected to the game, no?

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 17:32
Quote: "Would a mouse not be super accurate all the time, perhaps taking away any skill requirement?"

What? Think about what you said there, how could a more precise input device reduce the skill requirement?

If you want to play a game that requires skill then you're going to have to sit up straight and pay attention. Playing games while sitting upside down is just showing off!

Formerly OBese87.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 04:05 Edited at: 8th Nov 2013 04:06
Quote: "Would a mouse not be super accurate all the time, perhaps taking away any skill requirement?"

No because all the players are starting at the same level, which is leaps and bounds above most normal controller players (there are people who are insanely good with a controller). With a mouse you can do things that can't be done in a skillful FPS with a controller (I'm not talking about cod here ) For example, lining up a shot blind.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 15:30:30
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 15:30:30