Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Woot! Found The Spritesheet for my Hitman Game!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2013 20:27 Edited at: 17th Oct 2013 20:33
Bit of a self-indulgent thread but I'm happy!
Does anyone remember my Hitman game based on the illustrations from the Blood Money manual? It was the first serious project I started, but my hard drive failed and I lost everything. The coding was very noobish so losing that wasn't a big deal but I had spent hours on the sprites and was gutted to have lost them. (Those were the days before I discovered Inkscape and GIMP, I made the sprites in MSPaint and hand-coloured each individual pixel!)
However, I was just looking at my photobucket account and it turns out I had uploaded a copy of the spritesheet!

Since I'm not using Windows any more I can't really use DBP, so what alternatives could anyone recommend for making a 2D game on Linux?

Formerly OBese87.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2013 20:40 Edited at: 17th Oct 2013 20:41
purebasic, unity, stencyl?, qb64 (a personal favorite, but no great IDE)

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2013 21:14
Quote: " I made the sprites in MSPaint and hand-coloured each individual pixel!"

That must have been a pain

Quote: "Since I'm not using Windows any more I can't really use DBP, so what alternatives could anyone recommend for making a 2D game on Linux?"

Javascript/HTML5 and some nice engine would atleast not lock you to one OS and it's pretty efficient aswell

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2013 21:37
Ohh wow, I remember this! Didn't you post it in David Gervais' 2D thread at some point? I'm sure I saw it somewhere around there xD

I'd second Unity as well, it's primarily 3D (though 2D is possible) but they're introducing dedicated 2D support in the next update, the editor and language is incredible easy to use and there's loads of support out there.

Good luck!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 02:15
Quote: " based on the illustrations from the Blood Money manual?"

Hmmm, I'm not seeing the relation:
http://www.gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Atari_ST/Advert/big/Blood_Money_-_1989_-_Psygnosis_Limited.jpg

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 05:04
AGK with Wine

formerly MissJoJo - Audacia Games
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 16:16 Edited at: 19th Oct 2013 18:31
Quote: "That must have been a pain."

It took a very long time, I had a palette full of slightly different shades for blending, but fortunately the colours are simple.

Quote: "Javascript/HTML5 and some nice engine would at least not lock you to one OS and it's pretty efficient as well"

I like that idea a lot, thanks.

Quote: "AGK with Wine"

I'd rather not use Wine.

[edit]
This is embarrassing, I found the old code I posted here years ago:

Feel free to link to this if I ever make fun of noobs.

Formerly OBese87.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 21:14
Quote: "Since I'm not using Windows any more I can't really use DBP, so what alternatives could anyone recommend for making a 2D game on Linux?"

C. C is still a major language in the Linux community, albeit seemingly much less popular in Windows World. I like C because it's simple and gives you control over memory management. It's not strongly typed like C++ and doesn't throw errors and warnings at you for looking at it wrong. Of course you carry a lot more responsibility as "C gives you enough rope to hang yourself" as they say. Still I like the language and the more I get into it, the more beautiful it seems to me.

As for an engine, their are countless engines with C bindings. I just got started learning SDL2.0 which was written in C and works with C and C++. SDL offers cross-platform compatibility so you can always compile your game to Windows at a later stage too.

Lastly, for an IDE I would recommend Code::Blocks because it has a familiar and easy interface across platforms (so if you used it on Windows or you ever need to use it on Windows, you're covered). It also allows you to tweak and customize the build process (with a little effort finding your feet) fully to your requirements. There's all the standard stuff too like and a whole lot I prolly haven't discovered.

Btw, what Linux are you running? Still Ubuntu? If so, should be easy to set up.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 14:53:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 14:53:34