Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Using the "wait" command

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2013 10:19
There's been a lot of debate about whether or not a coder should use GOTO. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea because it can make code management a pain in the butt, especially when tracking bugs.

But I've noticed a lot of beginner coders like to use wait in their programs and it got me thinking, I don't believe I've ever had to use it before. I'd have to say it's bad practice for setting up time delays in that manner. What do you all think?

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2013 12:54

Wait is only used because beginner coders don't know about proper state management, and it's easy to use for very simple applications.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2013 13:27 Edited at: 20th Oct 2013 13:29
LOL Very true.

In the .NET world; sleep (wait) is used to pause a thread while an object is being synchronized, or to poll a process. In DBPRO it is being used a lot as a delay mechanism, mostly in small programs.

The Matrix1 Nice Wait / Nice Sleep or the API call alternatives are much more CPU resourcefull; these are the only good way to make DBPRO not do anything while it is idle or not required.

I wouldn't personally put it in the same league as GOTO.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2013 14:24
Quote: "Personally, I don't think it's a good idea because it can make code management a pain in the butt, especially when tracking bugs."

Only if you use it to jump through major parts of the code. Goto is does have its uses.

Your erased has been moderated by signature.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 00:39
I think if you have a lot of nested loops that you want to leave, goto is a good option. Having to trick the loops into stopping at the right time (especially in nested loops where you have to track states) will inevitably complicate your code more and make it harder to understand, which is the reason people complain about 'goto' in the first place. Usually it's bad, but "only a sith thinks in absolutes".

As for 'wait', I've also not found myself using it since the very early days of DBP. I believe good state management is a better solution, but if you're making a small simple application, why complicate it with complex states when a simple 'wait' is much simpler and more easily understood? Don't be a sith!

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 01:02 Edited at: 21st Oct 2013 01:05
Quote: "only a sith thinks in absolutes"

Yep

But I do use goto occasionally, normally to skip code, although an if/elseif/endif works better most of the time. When you've got for/next loops, you sometimes need a goto.

formerly MissJoJo - Audacia Games
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 01:34 Edited at: 21st Oct 2013 01:37
Lol, the DBPro implementation of sleep / wait is pretty much like so:

Wonder what they were thinking there...
Thus yeah, I'd say they're useless. The proper thread suspending versions are quite useful for reducing CPU usage though.
Or I guess you can use them for very simple timing purposes, like some people have already said.

Quote: "I think if you have a lot of nested loops that you want to leave, goto is a good option. Having to trick the loops into stopping at the right time (especially in nested loops where you have to track states) will inevitably complicate your code more and make it harder to understand"

Nothing against goto's here, but isn't it better to just put such functionality in a function and return from it when you need to exit the nested loops?

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 02:39
Quote: "I think if you have a lot of nested loops that you want to leave, goto is a good option"

No. Simply no. If you have a lot of nested loops, then your code is too messy, and you need to learn how to modularise, or how to use proper state management.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 03:17 Edited at: 21st Oct 2013 03:18
Hehe, I think this wait command topic is going to turn into another GOTO command debate.

I haven't used GOTO for years; the last time I used it was for a tutorial on why not to use GOTO. As stated it can be used like an iteration skipper:

Some people may prefer that to:

Anyway, on with the topic about Wait... (year right!)

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 07:07
Quote: "I think if you have a lot of nested loops that you want to leave, goto is a good option. "

That's why we have the exit command, which I see Chris also just pointed out.

Quote: "why complicate it with complex states when a simple 'wait' is much simpler and more easily understood?"

I'm thinking more along the lines of production code, not small little testing examples. For small things, I'm sure we all do things we shouldn't.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 13:22
If you goto from a For...Next loop, you invariably leave garbage behind, because the loop is never completing, it's probably storing a pointer back to that loop every time you goto from it. At least with exit, the loop knows to terminate.

One thing with Wait though... it actually makes perfect sense to use it with frame rate locked programs. Like, it's easier to say run this game at 50fps, and program for that. Then, any leftover performance can be handed back using the Wait command. You could use timer based movement, use the whole processor to run your game at 2000fps - or you can lock the frame rate and use Wait and only use about 10% of the processor. With laptops and mobile devices working with batteries, it makes a lot of sense. A consistant frame rate is far easier to code with, than timer based movement - timer based coding can very quickly turn into a soup sandwich.

I am the one who knocks...
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 13:41 Edited at: 21st Oct 2013 13:43
Quote: "At least with exit, the loop knows to terminate."

Thanks for that information; I thought that the garbage was retained until exiting the function/label stack anyway since you can access the variables declared inside of the loop from the outside? Am I wrong? (Although I still do not use that procedure)

I am doing what you suggested with battery consumption and CPU effeciency; but with the Matrix1 version of the command; where the DBPRO version uses roughly 70% of a CPU on my machine, the Nice Wait/Sleep command uses up 20%.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 13:46
Quote: "Then, any leftover performance can be handed back using the Wait command."

Only it isn't, the built-in wait function performs a busy wait.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 13:51
Ahh, maybe I'm thinking of the sleep command - either way I think it's about the use of such a command. I tend to use an internal DLL call instead of wait - just pointing out that the technique can be used for the power of good

I am the one who knocks...
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 16:25
I can't remember when I last used a goto and don't think I've ever used it in DBpro when I've coded from scratch (no doubt someone will now dig up a demo of mine where I've used it out of sheer laziness ).

However, I've used wait key a lot in simple demos since the code is easily understood. In contrast a few gotos rapidly make code unreadable and error prone. An exception might be when it's used to skip a single line or block of code such as

but even there a simpler solution might be

The arguments against wait seem rather subtle by comparison. What exactly is gained by avoiding wait?

My impression is that the goto issue is about programming style, readability and error proneness, whereas the wait issue is about program efficiency. Is that the general view?