Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Continued edit box issues on Android 2.3

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 21:46
So... I was hoping that edit boxes have become more stable, but this is not the case. We're looking to beta test our game next week and I just ran it on an older device and edit boxes don't work very well at all!!!

You can't enter special characters such as "!"
If you try long press it simply enters the same character as a normal press.
If you go to the alternate keyboard with the actual "!" characters then it still enters the normal keyboard character.
If you hit the delete/backspace key then that key continues to register and will delete text from any box that is clicked on.

It is perfectly fine on Android 4.3
This is on an HTC Droid Incredible 2.
I've reported these problems a number of times and it seems like they just get worse.
Furthermore it seems to happen about 80% of the time.
I have the stock keyboard on this device.

We're hoping to release our game in the next few weeks and it will be very disappointing if I have to exclude devices because keyboard input won't work. This is very frustrating.
It has occurred through every beta up to 19, which I am currently using.
It would be really nice to have this fixed!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 22:16 Edited at: 21st Oct 2013 22:17
What version of Android is on the HTC Droid Incredible 2?

EDIT: I guess I should have gotten that from the thread title, right?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 22:18
LOL ya 2.3
It seems to be fine on my other 2.3 device (Motorola Droid X)

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 22:25
I suspect (after testing on Android 2.3 and 4.1 devices) that AppGameKit just doesn't support the special characters.

I suspect that it only supports the characters listed in the scancodes document.

I could be wrong on that.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 22:27
While that's possible, the other keys work just fine on other devices.
And if that is true, what a horrible limitation! How would I deal with password input when people expect to be able to use special characters. Plus that list doesn't even have @... so email input would be tough too

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 22:33
Have you tried using the SetEditBoxExtendedFontImage command? The help page seems to imply that it is necessary for some characters.

If a character has an ascii value over 127, it will probably need to be in the extended set. The upside down exclamation has keyboard code of alt-0161 (0161 in this case is a hex, the alt sequence for ! is alt-0021, which is 33 decimal and that is the ascii for exclamation point), which implies something greater than 127.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 22:45
I was mistaken about the scan codes applying to edit boxes. I've made that mistake before and realized it shortly after posting.

I think the edit boxes take all the standard ascii inputs from 0 to 127 (although 0-31 are non-printable characters).

I didn't even know that I could get special characters by holding down the key on an Android device (and iOS as well, it turns out).

I just tried the same code (your snippet) on an iOS Player and tried to do a long !. When I slid up to the inverted ! (the method for selecting on an iOS, apparently), I got a popup message that says "This edit box does not support extended characters". So, it appears to recognize that there are such ones.

It might work if SetEditBoxExtendedFontImage were used. And it might not. I just tried using an image file I use for regular text as the extended image for one of the edit boxes. It didn't complain about not supporting extended characters. But it didn't display a character, just a blank. But the accompanying subimages file had definitions for ascii values 32-127, not the larger values.

Personally, I would never use such a non-standard character for a password. There is no guarantee that the app or site would honor the character set if they used a strange one for display and such.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 22:49
I've not attempted that as it has only been a problem on that single device.
I'm using the standard AppGameKit font so setting extended shouldn't be needed, should it? It certainly isn't needed on other devices...

I won't be able to even tell the user that an ! can't be used if it doesn't even get entered in the box...
Plus I'm quite worried about the backspace key sticking

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 22:58
The special characters aren't in the standard set. At least that is what I am guessing from the reaction in iOS when I tried to use one.

On my Samsung Galaxy III, it won't offer me the 'long hold' characters at all, in any application.

It might very well be very device specific and not something fixable in AGK.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 23:01
Well they work on Android 4.3... and the @ symbol works on 2.3... Pretty silly if we can't enter an exclamation mark...

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 23:06
I have no trouble with the exclamation point. It works fine. It is when I try to do the upside down exclamation point that the edit boxes have an issue.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 23:07
Ah well ... I'm having issues with the exclamation point

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 23:51
Quote: "If you go to the alternate keyboard with the actual "!" characters then it still enters the normal keyboard character."

What is the 'normal keyboard character' that you see?

On all my devices, the initial pop-up keyboard is basically a-z and a couple of others. And they all have a '?123' button to bring up the keyboard with the numbers and most of the common other characters: #$%*-+()<>=';,.!?/:"_

So I am curious about the keyboard that you are seeing/using on the device mentioned in your original post.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 23:57

the "a" key is on top of the "!" key
It seems to be a standard android keyboard

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2013 01:33
Looks like the keyboard on that device is broken, to me. Perfectly normal ASCII characters shouldn't cause problems.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2013 05:01
Yes, the AppGameKit interpretation of the keyboard is broken. This keyboard works perfect in every other non-AGK app I've ever used it in over the past 2 years...
I guess I'll just have to include a known issue with the game. Yay!

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2013 19:33
I've been using this keyboard a bit outside of AppGameKit apps and I see what might be causing the issue.
When you long press the "a" key for just a millisecond it shows "a" in any text input box, but then switches it to "!".
It does not behave like this when you're using the alternate keyboard and simply pressing the "!". But I think it might do so in the background.
So what I assume is happening is that the keyboard itself is sending the "a" key and then there's a second process that tells the character to switch to "!". Which is admittedly a HORRIBLE way to handle a keyboard. But if HTC did this once I imagine there are other manufacturers who've done similar (if not even just HTC repeating the mistake).
I've looked at other UI for stock Android keyboards for 2.3 and there seems to be some variation in the layout. However, none of them look exactly like this HTC keyboard.
So I have to assume they've made modifications (not surprising).

I still believe this points to a deep seated issue in how AppGameKit is handling text input. The keyboard should have control of switching characters in the box. Also the issue with the backspace sticking in AGK's edit box points to a possibly different issue where it isn't able to properly clear the last key press.

I really want Edit boxes and text input to be much more stable in AppGameKit and I understand that it is difficult to diagnose such issues when they are intermittent and not happening on every device.

I understand that TGC can't go out and buy every phone to do testing on. I would be willing to donate this type of phone to them (or pay for its costs) with a guarantee that they will at least consider the issue and look into it. It's only about $80USD and I think that if it leads to better stability in the AppGameKit handling of the keyboard then it would be money well invested.

That's my offer.

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2013 23:36
I wonder if this is related to the problem (Link to the post)I had using the t9 predictive text dictionary on certain 2.3 Android devices.

Paul said then that he could replicate the bug, but couldn't see a way of fixing it.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2013 23:55
I'll have to see if turning off predictive text does anything for the HTC DInc2. Predictions don't show up when I'm in an AppGameKit app on my Nexus 7 or on this HTC DInc2.

It really concerns me that this might be a problem. AppGameKit really needs a better keyboard handler on Android. Text input should be the least of a developer's problems!

Gingerbread devices account for nearly 30% of the Android market. Even a fraction of that is a lot of people to exclude from a game because of a text input bug.

I'm not sure why more people aren't concerned about this. Or why AppGameKit isn't making it a higher priority!

Anyway I can't tell if the HTC Dinc2 is using T9.
I just tried the simple code with predictive text features all off and still the backspace sticking persists and entering "!" results in an "a". Longpress adds the shortpress character twice. Sad.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2013 00:07
We need someone testing this with the same device (HTC Droid Incredible 2) and other Android 2.3 devices.

What is the full Android version? My Android 2.3 device is Android 2.3.3.

Maybe the minor bit in the version makes a difference?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2013 00:13
HTC Droid Incredible 2 is Android 2.3.4
It's from Verizon
Not sure about the ones that Prof was seeing issues on because I'm not sure which version of Samsung Y or Ace.

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2013 00:54 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2013 01:02
My Galaxy Y is a GT-S5360 running Gingerbread 2.3.6, I don't know what the Ace was.

Slightly off topic, but on my Y if you tap the Android version bit in the "settings - about phone" section, a picture of some Zombies appears. Lol.

>Edit<
Doing the same thing on my tablet reveals a picture of a Jellybean (altho at first I thought it was a kidney, lol)

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 01:39 Edited at: 25th Oct 2013 01:50
So I just found out another issue on the HTC Dinc2
If the last keyboard you've used is the numpad style keyboard then AppGameKit pops that up... yet another little fun flaw.
And still the delete key continues to delete even when not pressed!

EDIT
We're testing on a Droid X today and it is also an Android 2.3.4 device. The keyboard works 100% ok (i.e. backspace is OK, "!" is ok).
So it's not the OS version. I has to be something between the manufacturers and the keyboard.

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Naphier I had similar issues with editbox's a while back. I discovered it was an issue with devices using 2.3.1 or less. Any device with a higher version ran fine.

Yes 30% of Android users are using Gingerbread but only 1.5% are using 2.3.1 or bellow. The other 28.5% are using 2.3.3 - 2.3.7 which should not have any issues with editbox's
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 04:23
Unfortunately, the device I'm having issues with is 2.3.4 (HTC Dinc2) and Prof has reported issues under 2.3.6. If it were just 2.3.1 and below I'd be much less worried, but it appears it is not.

Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 06:02 Edited at: 25th Oct 2013 06:07
Confirmed on 2.7.0 too

FYI:Complaining and criticizing only gets you labeled.. If you have a product you need to market soon.. well.. do the math..
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 15:53
@Greenster - can you tell us what device you confirmed the issues on? The more we can add to the list the better the chance is that TGC/AGK can get their hands on one of these devices to at least experience the issues first hand.

"complaining" is how things get fixed - if no one or only one person states that something is an issue then how can a developer know that it is truly a problem? I reported this as a bug a while back and brought it to the forums because I don't think a lot of people look at the bug forum and if they do, then they certainly don't add comments with their own experiences as we do here.

Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 20:08
HTC Desire with Android 2.7.0

I could flood TGC with bug reports if I started testing AppGameKit more. They don't patch the bugs they have though and when they do its far too long to make the tool usable for end-user productions..
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 21:12
Greenster, I thought you had left the forum?

AGK has been used to publish many apps in many environments.

TGC has been fixing bugs that are properly identified and repeatable. I know this because I am one of the people who tries to get testable code out of bug reporters and then test it in multiple AppGameKit versions and multiple devices and platforms.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 21:14
So far it appears to be HTC Android devices that are being reported with this particular issue in this thread.

Has anyone experienced this problem with an Android device built by someone other than HTC?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 21:20
Prof reports 2 Samsung devices.
So that's HTC Droid Incredible 2 on 2.3.4
HTC Desire on 2.7.0
Samsung Galaxy Y is a GT-S5360 on 2.3.6
Samsung Galaxy Ace on unknown Android OS version

Hopefully AppGameKit can get their hands on one of these devices or we can get someone to confirm on a second device of the same make/OS version.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 21:59
Sorry, I read through quickly and missed Prof's report of the Samsung devices.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 22:25
My report is of a slightly different issue that seemed similar, so I wondered if they were related.

The issue that I reported in the thread I linked was that the keyboard doesn't work on the 2.3 Samsungs if you have the T9 dictionary (autocomplete or predictive text) turned on.

I will test the other issues raised in this thread on my Y later on and report back.

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2013 02:28
Ok, on my Samsung Galaxy Y, using the snippet provided by Naphier in the first post (Although slightly modified sizes as the Y only has 480 x 320 resolution), I can (un)happily report that when you press the "?123" button to go to the extended characters that only buttons on screen 1/3 work, 2/3 Half the buttons don't do anything and the other half display the wrong letter (upside down ! displays as Y for example), and 3/3 (The smiley screen) behaves the same was as Autocomplete, i.e nothing happens on screen.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2013 02:49
@Prof - would you mind sharing some screenshots of the keyboards just so we can see them for reference?
I'm personally not worried about extended characters (i.e. above ascii 127).
Did you get any issues with the backspace key? If I press it once it continues to delete characters even if I switch boxes.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2013 05:54
I never noticed the 2/3 and 3/3 buttons before.

On my Samsung Galaxy S III, in the 1/3 screen, everything except the hash (#) works. On the 2/3 screen, the upside down exclamation, back tick and tilda and everything after the bar ) don't work. Of those I am only surprised by the tilda not working. The rest are all above ascii 127. Nothing on the 3/3 page works, no surprise there at all, they are emoticons, not letters.

On the ABC screen, all the letters work as they should. The long hold popped up the initial 'other' character and accepted it if I moved my finger up to the displayed 'other' without lifting it. Except for the hash on the d.

So, now that I knew what to really look for, there does appear to be a generic issue on some letters that should work. At least in my case, the hash and tilda should work. I couldn't get the hash in either the 1/3 screen or the ABC screen with long hold.

It may be that some letters work on some keyboards on some devices and not on others. With different ones working/not working on different devices?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2013 06:30
Just for s&g I tried this out with the text input commands. Same results (not too surprising). I also added Print(GetLastRawKey()) to see what was going on. Interestingly if I'm in keyboard 2/2 (numbers and !@#$%^&*()_+-) I can see that pressing ! or # both result in RawLastKey of 6... however pressing ! puts "a" in the box and pressing # puts a "d" in the box... I didn't test out any more because I was running out of room in the box and pressed the backspace key which apparently in the text input box does nothing at all.
I've kept predictive text off through all of this to just see.

If I have time tomorrow I might go through all of the keys and write down what the actual raw key output is. There's some mapping off somewhere...
I might not get good results since I don't think AppGameKit has specifically mapped !@#$%^&*() because on Windows you can't hold shift and see a different raw key code. However, all of those characters are detected and input correctly into text input box and edit box.

Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2013 19:03 Edited at: 26th Oct 2013 19:19
Quote: "Greenster, I thought you had left the forum?

AGK has been used to publish many apps in many environments.

TGC has been fixing bugs that are properly identified and repeatable. I know this because I am one of the people who tries to get testable code out of bug reporters and then test it in multiple AppGameKit versions and multiple devices and platforms."

I own licenses to multiple TGC products, why would I leave?

As I said in the other thread: anyone who thinks I'm just making senseless complaints and criticisms, go look at the time stamps here and on Google.. Remember,,, this is a product that costs money, on top of being the foundation for other products, not a fun project that if it breaks it just affects itself..

I'm not too worried about if the developers want to try and discredit me or label me, the time stamps and their bug reports won't be gone any time soon and make great back-links..
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2013 23:26
Quote: "I own licenses to multiple TGC products, why would I leave?"

You got annoyed with us all and said you were leaving. I was just commenting on that.

Can you list the google issues that you are talking about? It would help to know what your issues are. If they can be repeated and diagnosed, then they should be fixed. If no one is paying attention, then we can try to get them to. But blanket statements about non-specific bugs don't help anyone.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 01:06
@Naphier:
Yeah, of course. Here is the main keyboard, and 1/3 of the "&123" screen.

I have no issues with this phone and the backspace button

@Ancient Lady:
What Android version is your Samsung S3? I didn't think that had gingerbread, in which case this problem is larger than we thought at first.

I just tested this on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 which is Android 4.2.2, and although it has a slightly different keyboard layout, the "#" key doesn't work, neither does the "`" or "~" buttons or any of the "webding" style ones (Which isn't that surprising tbh)

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 04:39
My Samsung is 4.1.2.

It sounds like we are seeing a common issue for some things. I have the same problem with the '#', "`" and "~".

Just because I have the devices, I just tested on three non-phone Androids. All are some version of Android 4.

And all failed to register/display "#", "~" and "`".

Then I tested using AppGameKit v1076. It did display a character for the hash key, but not something that was recognizable from any keyboard (sort of a square). It didn't register the tilda or back tick at all.

I picked v10815 sort of at random from the ones in between. It has the same results as v10819.

This is definitely a bug that has been around for a while. Sort of strange it hadn't been caught before this. Yes, other issues with EditBox have been found. But now we have a set of keys that just plain don't work and it appears to be an issue on lots of devices and Android versions.

Who wants the honor of reporting it to the Google list so that I can officially confirm it?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 15:02
I think Naphier should report it, It was his thread to start off with

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 17:40
I'd already reported it here (4+ months ago):
https://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/detail?id=569&can=5
Should I open a new issue or just add our findings to this one?

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 18:21
I reported it as issue 610
569 could probably be closed as it is a closely related issue.
https://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/detail?id=610&thanks=610&ts=1382894457

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 19:00
I just confirmed the issue in both the google list and the TGC AppGameKit page.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 20:47
Cool, thanks!!

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 20:07
I also wanted to note that there is a difference between Android and iOS when you use SetEditBoxMaxChars()
The result on iOS is that the box accepts one less character than what the max is set to. The issue has been reported and confirmed by AL.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 15:40
Now our game is released and I've already had 2 complaints about people not being able to input text without disabling their installed keyboard app... This reflects very poorly on our company and I hope AppGameKit can do something about it quickly. It is very disconcerting.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 10:17:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 10:17:52