Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] How German Sounds Compared To Other Languages

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2013 11:46

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2013 11:54
How To Speak German

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2013 14:18
Entirely matter of opinion, me myself find this meme quite dull and stupid, because I actually know german and, find it quite beautiful.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2013 14:55
When I first heard Portuguese I thought it sounded rough, guttural and not pleasant at all. After 3 years of listening to and learning the language a little at a time I grew to love its complexity and even the sounds I first couldn't stand.

I won't be watching these videos but I would worry about how racist this thread sounds...

oct(31) = dec(25)
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2013 15:21
Wow, it's amazing how rough German sounds when you shout it like your in a Nazi in a 60's war film.

I kinda ignored these, for some reason I assumed that it was like, the German word for butterfly... not some idiot spitting at the camera in an OTT accent.

I studied German, it's a structured and efficient language, these videos are simply racist, and culturally that seems to be fair game with German for reasons we can all guess at. Locking this I'm afraid, I don't think it's fair to all those Germans who weren't in the army 70 years ago.

I am the one who knocks...
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2013 15:44
Racist????

A large portion of my family is German and I doubt very much they'd find this racist. I can speak enough German to get by on the few occasions I have been there. It is an horrific sounding language to my ears, and it would seem to the creators of these videos.

This is an example of exaggeration. Which many, many comedians use to make things that aren't that funny become more funny. If this counts as racism then it really is a sad, sad world we live in.

Remember when people knew how to laugh at themselves and not get up in arms over every little thing. I liked living back then.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2013 16:06
We have to be consistent with this stuff and consider what people could be offended at, no matter how funny or harmless or whatever we think about it.

The guy in the video isn't portraying a German, he's portraying a stereotype - one that I am sure a lot of Germans are sick to death of.

Another mod can unlock it if they wish, then we'll see what sort of thread this turns into.

I am the one who knocks...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 14:07:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 14:07:01