Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I'm back - and it's time to d-d-d-d-duel!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 08:44
Hi! Don't know if there's anyone here who still remembers me, but Code Dragon, author of the DBPro Pac-Man tutorial, has returned. Over the past 4 years I've learnt several programming languages, Japanese, a few musical instruments, and how to talk to girls. I'm currently considering pursuing a PhD in computer graphics.

After idolizing John D. Carmack for so long, I began writing my own game engine, which I got a couple research papers out of, but what really excites me now is the Oculus Rift. If any of you are Yu-Gi-Oh! fans, the anime was about using augmented reality to project 3d images of the monsters on the card onto a field or stadium. I'm currently working on a fangame with some other people, but wondering where the best place to get feedback would be. Does anyone here currently have an Oculus Rift?

Your signature has been erased by a mod - mediafire image wasn't found
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 14:59
Welcome Back!
Okaerinasai!

Quote: "and how to talk to girls."

What level of progress was made?

Welcome back, how long were you gone?

A lot of golden oldies have been returning lately the most this year compared to 2010 / 2011 / 2012

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 19:54
I'm planning on getting an Oculus Rift, probably at the end of November and I used to watch YuGiOh on cartoon network so if I get one I would be happy to review or beta test at some stage.
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 20:18 Edited at: 25th Oct 2013 20:28
I've been gone since at least 2009, and am really glad to see the forums haven't changed all that much. Though it was a shame that I grew out of DBP because it wasn't teaching me the math skill and programming skills I needed (in favor of C++ and DirectX 10/11), I fondly remember the time I spent here and would like to leave the realm of academic research and get back to game development.

Right now I'm just trying to finish college but hope to start my own game company, we're considering making it a generic card game player to avoid legal problems. The biggest problem though is finding artists in the Philadelphia area to help model the Dark Magician Girl for stereoscopic 3D. Here's a screenshot of our prototype with flat cards, based on Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories. It's a lot more impressive when viewing it animated inside the Rift. We'll be starting a development blog soon.

Quote: "Quote: "and how to talk to girls."
What level of progress was made?"

Quite a lot of progress compared to when I was here all the time in high school, honestly. Gamer girls can be tough to catch.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 07:09
If anyone is interested, I may post the full source code to my 2008 Mekal Engine soon, which I used to write my platformers games "The Legend of SuperMekal" and "Nerdfighters" as well as my Java Super Smash Bros. engine... The second of which was a failed attempt to impress an anime fangirl. Maybe I should pick up a new hobby, like ocarina panhandling...

Real programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 15:11:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 15:11:44