Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Golden Joysticks: Grand Theft Auto 5 bags Game of the Year award

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 20:29
Quote: "Rockstar's controversial game - where players commit crime in the fictional city of Los Santos - was presented with the Game of the Year gong at a ceremony in central London."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24677247

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 20:55
Awesome!
Now if only they'd port it to PC so I can actually play it...

Whose eyes are those eyes?
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2013 00:39
How unexpected.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I played it on xbox 360 yesterday - the aliasing is just horrid.

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
CapnBuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Modern-day, open-world games just leave me bored. I've played enough of them to find the allure completely absent. Technically, GTA V is amazing. Artistically, it can also be argued to be "amazing." But it's just not that fun. Maybe because Rockstar has mined the same territory so many times? Heck, I even find the PS2 game SCARFACE more fun. At least there you got to play as Tony Montana... "Say hello to my little friend!"

I'm sure history will see GTA V as the "second coming," but after playing it, I just couldn't "get it." But then who am I?
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 17:01
Quote: "Maybe because Rockstar has mined the same territory so many times?"

You mean 5 times? Maybe dozens of wannabe-gta clones made you bored?

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 17:10
Quote: "You mean 5 times? Maybe dozens of wannabe-gta clones made you bored?"

5?
Vice city not included then?
and san andreas...

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2013 15:51
I just finished it last week, tremendous game, it's sales, awards etc etc are well deserved.

I like open world sandbox games in general, and I found so much to do in GTA5... Ok sometimes it should be called Grind-Fest-Auto but for the most part I've had a blast. Some less linear missions would have been nice, maybe we'll see more of that sorta stuff in a DLC, I'm guessing that having 3 characters switching around during a mission was a logistical nightmare. I hope the heists and stuff they add to multiplayer will be more free-form.

Incidently, if you haven't completed it yet - at the end, choose option C (Deathwish), options A and B are absolutely pointless and you'll just be disappointed.

I am the one who knocks...
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2013 16:18 Edited at: 28th Oct 2013 16:19
Quote: "5?
Vice city not included then?
and san andreas..."

And vice city stories, and liberty city stories, and chinatown wars, and GTA london...

I played GTA 5, but didn't really think it was all that good of a game. The story mode was far too short for one. Finished it in 4 days, and that was including going to work..

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 01:14
You mean a GTA I'll actually be able to finish for a change? Can't wait for it to come out on PC!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 02:32
I find the stark contrast between linear storyline and open world to be irreconcilable. Remember the original GTA where if you failed a mission you just carried on the carnage until you earned enough to progress, but in recent iterations GTA actively punishes you for creating carnage; fail a mission and you must try again, behave recklessly in the slightest and be crushed by the law, you couldn't even drive through a toll-booth in GTAIV without starting a manhunt. Why are these games striving for realism in a world that has always been a parody?
I saw a great video on youtube talking about this exact subject but I can't remember the link, sorry... this will have to do

Formerly OBese87.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 13:46
I think GTA5 is just trying to move away from the way Saints Row is. People complained about GTA4, saying Saints Row is more fun, GTA4 is too realistic. Now with GTA5, people are saying the exact same thing, like all of a sudden you'll be wearing cat costumes and beating each other with marital aids.

GTA isn't like other open world games, it's a genre all it's own, and people tend to like it. If causing carnage results in being chased by police, then so be it. In GTA5 evading the police has improved a lot, it's possible to flee and find a hiding spot, under a bridge, something like that - it feels a lot more sensible compared to GTA4, usually a minor infraction is just a case of getting away from the scene and not being too obvious. Half the fun is in being chased by the cops, if they spot you in a stolen car (a car they already chased you in), they will come after you again. The police cars are much more pro-active, they don't just try to ram you too late, they seem to be a lot more efficient now.

The heist style missions are a great idea, it does smell a little bit of Payday2, but that's no bad thing really. The stranger missions and other side missions are decent, but there is a bit of grinding to be done. I liked Trevor's rampage missions, but the races are incredibly easy, the last triathlon is 30 minutes of button tapping, really tedious.

As a whole though, it's an amazing game IMO, no amount of exaggerated YouTube comments or negativity can change that. It's head and shoulders above the other big titles in the last year. Heck, I barely even remember any of Halo4, I don't even play Payday2 these days, Farcry3 lasted me about 3 days - it's been a decent year for games, but GTA5 is the cherry on top without a doubt.

I am the one who knocks...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-29 07:19:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-29 07:19:23