Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Woman Gets the World's First Ticket for Driving With Google Glass

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 21:42
Quote: "Cecilia Abadie made history in a way she didn't expect Tuesday night — when a California Highway Patrol officer gave her the world's first known ticket for wearing Google Glass while driving."

http://mashable.com/2013/10/30/google-glass-driving-ticket/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 23:44
Has that cop never heard of a HUD? My pontiac displayed a screen on my windshield while I drove.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 09:31
I think it's fine if you can prove you weren't playing pac-man...

oct(31) = dec(25)
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 10:01
Quote: "I think it's fine if you can prove you weren't playing pac-man...
"

In essence, it's no difference to checking your phone for email and such... while driving

... only it's now in your face instead.

yeah, no problems at all

I think that yes - you should absolutely not be allowed to use Google glass while driving

Whose eyes are those eyes?
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 15:38
Quote: "Has that cop never heard of a HUD? My pontiac displayed a screen on my windshield while I drove."

I know that's Cali, but us Ohio'ans just past that no text and drive law this year..so we'd probably get a ticket too. Doesn't mean it'll hold up in court, if it was off, she could probably prove that she wasn't receiving any messages at the time of the ticket.

Inmortalis Nox
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 15:55
Considering more and more road accidents in France are caused by people using their phones to text or call while driving, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and outright ban the use of devices that aren't used for navigation (or require them to be mounted on the dashboard or windshield).

Your erased has been moderated by signature.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 18:43 Edited at: 31st Oct 2013 18:44
Quote: "Considering more and more road accidents in France are caused by people using their phones to text or call while driving"

Same here in luxemburg! The amount of phoneusage in cars you casually see while driving is staggering!
I once drove with friend who texted while passing another car on the freeway, she didn't even hold it up to the frontwindow, she had it down between leg and gearstick.
I incested that she'd stop and she told me nonchalante and pouting that she'd always text on the freeway like this and never had a single accident before. A single accident on the freeway is usually all it takes.

Quote: "I think that yes - you should absolutely not be allowed to use Google glass while driving"

This!

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 19:31
Quote: "(or require them to be mounted on the dashboard or windshield)."

how is mounting the phone to the dashboard going to help anything?

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 21:51 Edited at: 31st Oct 2013 21:52
Quote: "how is mounting the phone to the dashboard going to help anything?"

If it's for a phonecall then that makes it hands-free (which is currently legal anyway), and you need it on the dashboard for a GPS app. However actually fiddling with the phone while you're driving (even if it's on the dashboard) should be considered an offence.

Quote: "I incested that she'd stop and she told me nonchalante and pouting that she'd always text on the freeway like this and never had a single accident before. "

Unfortunately people will have the attitude that "it will never happen to me", until it happens. And by then it's too late.

Your erased has been moderated by signature.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 21:57
Wolf, show your friend this vid

Inmortalis Nox
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 02:02
Well, that guy may have to pay for his own repairs now that he assaulted the other driver.

The problem here isn't necessarily if these kind of charges hold up in court. Because if it proven not guilty, you still end up paying court costs plus your time lost. And here in columbus, court costs about $100. Which to me is bs that you gotta pay even when you're innocent.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 12:10
You are not allowed to use phones while driving, because basically you can kill people. One of my workmates husbands was nearly killed the other night when some woman on her phone smashed into a lamppost feet away from him. If that lamppost wasn't there, then well..

Yeah, but Google glass is perfectly fine, because it covers your whole vision when in use and the woman who got the ticket was probably using them, GPS or not, it is going to get the driver killed or someone else.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 15:43
can't wait until calling while driving is banned in sweden.. i dont even think texting is yet.

either way - I'm not pro "using phones while driving" in any aspect. you shouldn t call, you shouldnt check your mail ANYTHING to take your mind away from the driving.
There's a reason as to why "You're not allowed to talk to the busdriver while he is driving". Talking on the phone is essentially the same thing.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 17:53
In England its only illegal to hold or operate it whilst driving. Hands free kits, or google glass is perfectly legal, as your hands never leave the steering wheel, and your vision never leaves the road.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 17:56
Quote: "as your hands never leave the steering wheel, and your vision never leaves the road."

but your thoghts and concentration will wander away

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 18:06
Quote: "but your thoghts and concentration will wander away"

Exactly; it's a "walk and chew bubble gum" kind of thing. Some people can do it, others can't.

-Keith

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 04:03
My mind wanders whether I'm on the phone or not XD

I agree though. I can't wait for automated cars that will render this conversation moot!

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 17:12
Quote: "but your thoghts and concentration will wander away"

No more so than talking to an in-car passenger, which isn't illegal. (Yet)

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 17:18
Quote: "Wolf, show your friend this vid "

I've sent it to her. No reply yet

Quote: "No more so than talking to an in-car passenger, which isn't illegal. (Yet)"

I do this a lot too and have no problem with it whatsoever. I do however get nervous whenever I sit next to someone who can't have a conversation in the car without constantly looking at me.

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 22:39
Quote: "No more so than talking to an in-car passenger, which isn't illegal. (Yet)"

I don't know, if I'm a passenger in someone's car I stop talking if they have to concentrate on something like reversing or navigating a roundabout. I don't drive so I don't know if this actually helps or not, but a person on the end of a phone wouldn't be aware of the situation.

Formerly OBese87.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 21:53
Quote: "I don't drive so I don't know if this actually helps or not"

Depends on the driver. Talking doesn't affect me during those situations, but I'm smart enough to stop talking when I need to.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 17:10:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 17:10:50