Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Games or programs for Macintosh SE 1/20

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 20:55
I have an old Macintosh SE 1/20 from 1984.
Is it possible to find games or programs for this old computer?

Check my games for iPad, Android Tablet and PlayBook.
www.ipad-apps.dk
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 02:10
You should be able to find something for it. The general rule of thumb if that if there's an emulation community behind it. You'll be able to find disc images of software online today. Getting images across onto the real hardware can be a pain, but there's bound to be some type twin express (you'll need to make a serial/parallel cable) app to move data between the source PC and legacy box. You might be lucky and be able to write the images on your PC, assuming the disc drives (3.5 low density?) are generic enough in them.

There are retro computing sites that deal in second hand boxed stuff if really you want/need it. For an old system like this I can't imagine them being too cheap, given the number of collectors out there now.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 04:07
I'd say use ebay for all your retro computer needs.

Trisect Development
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 09:02
I just found out its not from 1984 but 1990.
Does that change anything?

Check my games for iPad, Android Tablet and PlayBook.
www.ipad-apps.dk
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 12:01
You will find games for these older systems, really any Mac will end up a collectors item, and there will always be a 2nd hand market for this stuff.

EBay really, you should find some good stuff on that. If you are just looking to get some games to play on it, maybe look for an unboxed collection, as they tend to be pretty cheap. It only get's expensive with this stuff when you look for boxed games in good condition - loose disks tend to be pretty cheap considering. The cheapest option would be to look at burning your own disks somehow.

I am the one who knocks...
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 18:15 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 18:18
Can you run Linux games on Mac? I have heard they are both unix-based.

Battle for Wesnoth has a Mac version and will probably run on your machine. It's a great turn-based strategy game, it's the first game I install on any system. Oh and it's free.

Formerly OBese87.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 18:29
Linux is not unix based as far as I know. Linux was based on the ideas of unix but not the actual code

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 18:37
Quote: "Linux is not unix based as far as I know. Linux was based on the ideas of unix but not the actual code."

True, but I think it mainly does use Unix code.

Formerly OBese87.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 18:59
Interesting, I did not know that. Still I dont think linux programs run on uinx anyway

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 20:44
Quote: "Interesting, I did not know that. Still I dont think linux programs run on uinx anyway"

You are probably right. I suppose it might be easy to port between them, and Mac too, if they are all similar.

Formerly OBese87.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-29 05:23:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-29 05:23:21