Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Thinking about a PS Vita - Recommendations/thoughts?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 20:23
Hi everyone,

I have some extra money lying around, and I'm thinking about getting a PS Vita sometime this holiday season for myself. I currently have a 3DS but there aren't as many third-party titles to play as I would like, and Mario and Zelda are only good for so long.

Anyway, one MAJOR reason I'm getting the Vita over anything is else is so that I can play Little Big Planet and first-person shooters and good racing games. However, here are some questions!

1 - Do you recommend getting the Vita? If not, why?

2 - What are your favorite games on the system, and which titles do you recommend?

3 - What size of memory card should I get?

4 - Overall, how happy are you with the Vita?

Thanks for your input, everyone!

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 20:56
Quote: "aren't as many third-party titles to play as I would like"

Are you sure? What is your library?

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 21:03
So far, I own the following 3DS games:

Super Mario 3D Land
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Sonic: Lost World
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
New Super Mario Bros. 2
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

As you can see, the only third-party game I own is Sonic Lost World, which certainly isn't the greatest game (I'm still on World 1 and the level design is "meh" at best, thinking about trading it in for something else). There are other games, of course, but not as many as on the Vita that I'm interested in (Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, etc.,).

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 22:37
1 - Yes

2 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone Mercenary, Persona 4 Golden, Dragons Crown, Gravity Rush, Jak and Daxter Trilogy

3 - At least an 8GB

4 - Pretty damn happy

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 22:40 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 22:42
Try these:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Monster Hunter
Pokemon X/Y
Professor Layton
Devil Summoner Soul Hackers
Kid Icarus
Etrian Odyssey IV Legends of the Titan
Dragon Warrior

+Cooking Mama (DS)

P.S. I dont get what do you mean under third-party games.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 22:46 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 22:46
Quote: "1 - Yes

2 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone Mercenary, Persona 4 Golden, Dragons Crown, Gravity Rush, Jak and Daxter Trilogy

3 - At least an 8GB

4 - Pretty damn happy"

Thanks, Fuzz! All of those games you mentioned are ones I was just reading about a little while ago. DEFINITELY buying Jak and Daxter Trilogy and LittleBigPlanet - those will probably be my first two games to get!

Quote: "I dont get what do you mean under third-party games."

Third-party games? It means anything that's published outside of the company making the console (for example, a Call of Duty game on a Nintendo console would be a third-party game, and Mario/Zelda would be a first-party title since it's published by the company also responsible for the hardware).

I was thinking about getting Kid Icarus but I'm not sure yet.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 23:02
Out of curiosity, what would second party games be in this case

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 23:16
I have always wondered that myself... we'll say Indie games.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Second party developer is a colloquial term used by gaming enthusiasts and media often used to describe two different types of game development studios:
Independently-owned studios who take development contracts from the platform holders and what they produce will usually be exclusive to that platform.
Studios who are partially or wholly owned by the platform holder (also known as a subsidiary) and what they produce will usually be exclusive to that platform.
In reality, the resulting game is first party (since it is funded by the platform holder who usually owns the resulting IP), but the term helps to distinguish independent studios from those directly owned by the platform holder. These studios may have exclusive publishing agreements (or other business relationships) with the platform holder, while maintaining independence. Examples are Insomniac Games (which previously developed games solely for Sony's PlayStation platforms as an independent studio) and Game Freak, (which primarily develops the Nintendo-exclusive Pokémon game series)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_developer

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 01:11
Ah, so 2nd-party and 3rd-party mean essentially the same thing then?

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 03:26
I've so far owned 3 3ds's and 2 vita's, and I'd have to say that neither is a very good handheld. Battery life is crap on each.
That said, I highly recommend Uncharted, Dragon's Crown, and MGS collection. I have littlebigplanet and it's a nice game, but the load times are just crap. Just my [negative] opinions.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/max-vs-mars
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 04:48
Battery life is not a very big concern of mine. I almost always have the charger on hand if I know I'm going to be needing it (like on a long car trip, where I can use one of our inverters for charging needs), and I almost never play a game for more than an hour and a half at most. That said, I agree that 4 to 4 1/2 hours is crap for life, but it's not a big concern.

Now... would anybody recommend this over the Wii U? There are games I want on each platform - I must choose wisely. So far, the Vita is winning...

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 08:59
I say go for it - they're very impressive little machines.

But, if your hands are bigger than a satsuma, see if you can get that extender case thing, makes it more like a PS control pad, gives something for the rest of your hand to grab onto. I find that without it, the buttons and analogues are too slippery, it's not the most comfortable handheld... heck, I think my old Atari Lynx still has that title.

Stardust is good for it, if you want a quick blast. Killzone is quite decent as well, but does take a little getting used to.

I am the one who knocks...
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 16:03
Quote: "Ah, so 2nd-party and 3rd-party mean essentially the same thing then?"

Well no it actually comes from first/second/third person.

First person is me, I, us.
Second person is you.
Third person is them.

So if the third party isn't me or you, third party is them.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 16:43
@Van B:

My hands aren't too big. I can hold the first model 3DS just fine for an hour or so before hands start cramping, so hopefully it's the same for the Vita!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go get one by the end of the month. I just watched a ton of reviews for it, the AR ability looks way better than the 3DS's, not to mention the back touch panel is a really awesome idea! And need I mention the graphics?

There's so much available, I have no idea why it's not selling better. I think it probably will start selling better now that the PS4 will be compatible with it (remote play).

@bitJericho:

That's a great way to look at it! Good analogy.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 16:27
Actually, I think I'm going to continue to save my money a little bit more and so that I can afford the PS4 before too long. I know there's no way in heck I can get it this year since I didn't pre-order it, but that will only make it that much more rewarding when I do get it later!

However, I still do want a Vita - it looks like an incredible device, and one that I would use pretty extensively. Even the game "Little Deviants" looks like fun!

But, PS4 will be first, then the Vita. Yay priorities!

Anybody lucky enough to be getting a PS4 next week?

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 16:55
Quote: "2nd-party and 3rd-party mean essentially the same thing then?"

1st party: Nintendo making games exclusively for Nintendo. (For example, Nintendo making the Mario series.)
2nd Party: Non Nintendo making games exclusively for Nintendo. (For example, Rareware making all those NES, SNES and N64 games.)
3rd Party: Non Nintendo making games for anyone, including Nintendo. (For example E.A.)

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 18:37 Edited at: 9th Nov 2013 18:38
I have the original PSP 1000 and recently got the vita. I have to say the best part is the PS store and classic collection. Nothing like playing Final Fantasy 8 while sitting at the laundry mat.

Since they're pretty cheap, I'd say get the biggest memory card you can find. FF8 alone is a 2GB install. So the extra space is essential.

Inmortalis Nox
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2013 00:07
I wouldn't recommend the Vita yet. I bought one at launch but haven't bought a game since launch, because there just aren't enough new interesting titles for me. One thing I can say though is that Sony has been absolutely phenomenal with their PS Plus accounts. If you spend the $50 a year you can download so many full games for free, including Uncharted and a bunch of other Vita games that originally retailed for $60 each.

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 06:29
Yeah, I'm gonna wait on the Vita for a while. It's an interesting platform, but right now the PS4 has a lot more interesting titles (Thief, Knack, Elder Scrolls Online, etc.,.). So I think I'll wait on the Vita until I have the PS4 for a while.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 17th Nov 2013 19:36
Well, I've bent thinking, would it actually be a better idea to go with a PS3 right now?

There are exclusive titles for PS3 that I've wanted to play for years - LittleBigPlanet for one - and since the PS4 is not backwards-compatible, it may be a better idea to go with the 3 for now.

There's an awesome GTA V/PS3 bundle from GameStop for $270.00, which is really cool because a new PS3 on its own is about $260.00 from them.

Not to mention, it's way cheaper than the PS4 right now anyway, and cheaper is better!

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
But new is always better.

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2013 10:13
I'd go for a PS3. There are loads of great games to catch up on on it, and they'll keep making games for it for a while yet.

Personally, I'm gonna be waiting a year or 2 to get a PS4.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 18th Nov 2013 16:12 Edited at: 18th Nov 2013 16:14
I just confirmed my order with Gamestop at 1am this morning for the PS3 500GB/GTA V Bundle for $270 (after taxies and shipping it came to $300.67, but I paid for one-day shipping so I'll get it tomorrow!).

The bundle was selling out FAST - no store within a 50 miles radius of my address had any left!

I seriously can't wait to be able to play GTA V, LittleBigPlanet, all the Mass Effect and Uncharted games... man, I don't regret this purchase at all!

@Indicium:

I would have LOVED to get a PS4, but because it isn't backwards compatible with PS3 games and there are lots of those I wanted to play, logically I had to have a PS3 as well. Now seemed the best time to buy a new PS3 because of the massive price drops it had. The only PS4 games I was interested in was Knack, COD: Ghosts, and Need for Speed: Rivals. With PS3, there's all of the games I listed above and more!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 01:25
Sorry for the bump! Just curious, what PS3 games would you all recommend?

So far, I just have GTA V (immense fun!) and I picked up a new copy of Oblivion (Game of the Year edition) through Amazon. I plan on getting the Legendary version of Skyrim as well, but I'd like other games too!

Genres I like:

RPG (any kind besides MMOs)
Action/Adventure
Platformers
First Person Shooter

So if you know of any that fit that category, let me know!

Also, if you have a PSN/PSP subscription feel free to add me as a friend! Not sure how often I'll actually play anything online though.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 14:31
Well Killzone is worth a shot, it is more fun in split screen mode IMO, but it's a very nice SP shooter that you should be able to get cheap. BF4 is awesome if you like multiplayer shooters.

You can't really go wrong with a PS3 for adventure games, Uncharted series, Heavy Rain, Last of us etc etc

I am the one who knocks...
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 15:30
Quote: "Sorry for the bump! Just curious, what PS3 games would you all recommend?"

The last of us - even though the gameplay is kinnda run of the mill shoot everything, it's still a great expereince.

Beyond two souls is hardly a game, but I love it ^^

Journey is pretty cool. and Catherine

^
all games I own for PS3 ~

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 16:24
I will check all of those out! Thanks guys!

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 24th Nov 2013 13:44
If you've never played the original Ratchet & Clank series on the PS2, I'd recommend getting the HD bundle with the first 3 games. Same goes for the Jak & Daxter series. Infamous series is pretty decent, God of War III is good too. The newer Mortal Kombat game was really good as well.

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2013 21:52 Edited at: 24th Nov 2013 21:53
I will check all of those out as well! I'm definitely interested in Ratchet and Clank, I've heard lots of good things about it.

Hey, does anybody know if there's a way to connect a PS3 controller to a PS2 (slim model)? I'm wondering if I can use the USB cord to connect to it, but before I go through the trouble of finding and hooking up my old PS2, I just want to make sure.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 24th Nov 2013 22:13
The PS3 controller won't work with the PS2, since the PS2 doesn't read controller input codes from USB.

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2013 22:15
Dang. I guess I have to buy an old PS2 controller then. Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 13:48:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 13:48:35