Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The Doctor Who Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 23:23

Ok, now that you've been able to pull yourself away from watching it another 20 times to read this post, anyone else as excited as I am for Nov 23??

Ahhh, and dang, so many feels watching that trailer. You may make fun of me, but I had some tears building up watching it for the first time.

Inmortalis Nox
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 10:21
Quote: "anyone else as excited as I am for Nov 23??"

Of course we are, pal!

MLP Season 4 Episode 1 : Princess Twilight - Part 1 : November 23, 2013

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 15:41 Edited at: 10th Nov 2013 15:41
I can't wait. I have to wait 2 extra days to see it at the local theater, though. I don't have cable TV, and I want to watch it on a big screen, because frankly, it looks epic!

edit: Also, I teared up too, when I saw Rose's eyes glowing gold.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 16:54
Quote: "anyone else as excited as I am for Nov 23?? "

Yep.

The only episodes I missed were a few from the first series back in the 60s - but then I realised what I'd been missing.

Powered by Free Banners
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 17:02 Edited at: 10th Nov 2013 17:04
oh my godness, ITS NOVEMBER.. never thought of that
AHHHHH

*hrm* yes.. this is doctor who, right? I never managed to really get into that x)

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2013 10:51
I'm not a massive Dr.Who fan, but that looks like the sort of thing you don't simply want to miss.

I am the one who knocks...
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2013 17:31
I've really enjoyed watching the old Doctor Who's, but the real ones really aren't my cup of tea. They don't seem to ever choose an appropriate actor for the role, and the fact of the matter is the show has to be intentionally corny to fit in with the style of Doctor Who itself.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 05:15
I don't get BBC One, so I'm so jealous that I don't get to experience the full campaign they've launched for this episode:

Very clever stuff lol. It looks like those channel commercials you see all the time on every channel..and then suddenly the Doctor hacks the broadcast.

I didn't really like Doctor Who at first. I have seen both old and new. New is my favorite, Doctor 10 and up. The older ones and the first season of the new ones are soo so British sci-fi. It does feel that the show has actually gotten less Brit-sci-fi and more american campy over the years.

Inmortalis Nox
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2013 02:57 Edited at: 15th Nov 2013 02:57
Minisode, leading up to the 50th:

For anyone who is confused, this is the 8th doctor. He had a short run on the series but also got a movie. He marked the end of the older Doctor Who series. But we never knew how the 8th became the 9th Doctor, who we are introduced to in the new series. Awesome minisode.

Inmortalis Nox
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2013 02:46
My word that was amazing! Just finished watching it twice!

Just, no words can explain lol!

Inmortalis Nox
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 13:16
I watched it tonight. It was awesomesauce

Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 16:22
Even though I never watched anything of the old show (except for the series premiere from 1963 our of curiosity) I do love the new show and the moment when ALL the doctors (old and new and even the future one) came with their TARDISes that was so unbelievably awesome.

This anniversary episode really was great and ideal to celebrate 50 years. Now, let's see what CBS/Paramount will do for the american Sci-Fi icon Star Trek - that too turns 50 in 3 years. Somehow I doubt they can keep up with the epicness of The Day of the Doctor and they'll probably not even try.

To me the Doctor has become the savior of SciFi since the demise of both Trek and Gate.

Which scenes did you all like best in the special?

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "demise of both Trek and Gate."

Trek is still going through the reboot - and I'm really hoping that they'll continue SG: Universe next year, as that will have been the three years in stasis like Eli calculated.

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 17:03
Quote: "To me the Doctor has become the savior of SciFi since the demise of both Trek and Gate."

Like Indicium said, they're still going through the reboot, with several more movies in the works. Though I am hoping for a new original universe series.

FYI, they are rebooting Stargate. They're planning a movie trilogy starting in 2015. Not sure how I feel about this, so I'll have to wait and see. I'm really afraid they'll make it too action oriented and loose what makes SG so awesome. The original movie is one of my top five movies of all time.

Inmortalis Nox
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 21:26 Edited at: 26th Dec 2013 13:06
Darn, I was not going to say anything in here but then Star Gate the movie was mentioned...

I think the special of Doctor was not too bad, I enjoyed watching it, but I know I watched it in the 80-90's at some point but cannot for the life of the doctor recall the faces lol

I don't know, I think the target audience for DWHO is clearly not me... but then the BBC did an interesting special show a week ago based on the science of doctor who... that is what made me watch the special... I wanted to see the connections made to real science...

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 01:24
I've started watching doctor who after seeing this thread - the 2005 one.
On episode 10 (the two parter with the world war 2 theme)
And this episode is probably one of my favorite episodes - over the board when it comes to TV shows. It is incredibly eerie and creepy~

the Dalek one was great too

Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 07:52
Things get much better after series 1 in my opinion, there's less cheesy humour (ie: alien farts)

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 09:17
I honestly don't mind the cheesy humor - it works, it's silly and that's just what the sci fi genre needs to re-learn right now: It's okay to be stupid at times.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 14:30
I actually think Christopher Eccleston's doctor is the best out of the three new so far. I say this because throughout is short run, if you just pay attention to him in every scene he's in, when everyone starts to panic, he just stands there like a rock. You can tell from how he acts and his faked clowning that he carries a very heavy weight on his shoulders.

Re-watching the first season after watching the 50th episode brings all new levels on insanity to his character! His punishment for using The Moment is he lives. His first thoughts before using it, how many children on Galifrey? Then the fact that he won't even remember that he actually tried to save, not destroy Galifrey. Lastly, you have this feeling that he went looking for Bad Wolf subconsciously, leading to his meeting with Rose. Re-watching the first season, I never knew how many references were present! There is literally a reference in every single episode leading to Bad Wolf. Chills ran up my spine every time I noticed one, or a character mentioned it.

The Bad Wolf story arch is still my favorite in the entire series and now that is even more intensified by the 50th.

Inmortalis Nox
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 21:40
just finished S1, and thus now watched the first episode with the 10th doctor.. Must say so far I prefer the 9th one, but oh well ^^ I'm sure he'll grow on me

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2013 04:54
I just watched the documentary and wow that really makes me wanna get back into it. I haven't watched the last few seasons but I think it might be time

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 19:31
Quote: "I just watched the documentary and wow that really makes me wanna get back into it."

We watched that yesterday. I was expecting it to be boring (despite being a fan of the series) - how wrong I was. Must find time to watch the early ones one day - otherwise my life won't be complete.