Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Need help coming up with some ideas for a first game with Unity!

Author
User Banned
Posted: 14th Nov 2013 18:14
Hey guys!

It's been over three months since I've last coded anything, and I'm feeling the programmer's itch again. I've updated my Unity3D installation, and I just spent this morning watching some videos on how to use the interface (it's amazing what you forget sometimes!), and familiarizing myself with the program. But I've hit a wall, and it's the same one I hit with every project I attempt to start... what do I want to MAKE with it?

Unity FINALLY has added native support for 2D games, which is brilliant, because I've had this idea for a platformer for ages, but it is NOT a good idea for a full first game with Unity (plus, I want to make it exclusively for iOS/Android for tablets). So, I thought about making a simple point-and-click game, in which your goal is to move your character out of a scene with no more than the allotted clicks the level gives you - but that seems boring as all hell!

So, do any of you have any ideas on a good, first game to make with Unity? Just give me a basic idea, something like "You are [this character/creature/inanimate object], and your goal is [x]", or something like that. I of course will credit you, although this game will probably only ever be posted here and on my Facebook account, so don't expect immediate fame for your idea.

Obviously, only post ideas you feel comfortable sharing - save your original ideas, and get rich off of them! I just need something to whet my appetite with.

Thanks, y'all!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2013 00:59 Edited at: 15th Nov 2013 01:01
Quote: "Obviously, only post ideas you feel comfortable sharing - save your original ideas, and get rich off of them! I just need something to whet my appetite with."

If anyone is scared of sharing ideas I will insure your ideas for $20 a month and if your idea ever becomes reality I will pay you $1m.
Now I will stop posting here in case somebody copies my grammar; I worked hard at that grammar, it's mine! Give it back!

Anyway, I had an idea today for a game based on the lives of the Borgia family. I read Mario Puzo's The Family a few years ago and it was full of politics and treachery and strategy and battles. Ambitious though.

Formerly OBese87.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2013 03:35
Do a remake. There are so many great classics that are super useful as a learning tool, and if you put a nice twist on the idea, they can actually spawn great games.

Geometry Wars is a new spin on Asteroids. Luftrauser could be described as a mental version of Sopwith Camel.

Get in here - http://www.classicdosgames.com/online.html - and play some games!

Greenlig

ZacDuff.com
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 15th Nov 2013 05:17
@Libervurto:

That does sound ambitious, but that could make for an interesting game for sure!

@greenlig:

I have thought about a remake. One of the video lessons I was watching today was about remaking "Breakout" into basically the same game, but adding different elements such as the bricks moving closer and faster, and instead of controlling one ball, by default you had three. So, maybe you're right, and I should take a simple game like Space Invaders and add a unique twist!

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2013 13:51
That sounds like it's already been done a bajizillion times. You should read peter molydeux for inspiration.

https://twitter.com/PeterMolydeux

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 15th Nov 2013 16:05
That has some darned funny ideas! Thanks, bitJericho! That will help a lot!

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2013 05:25
Quote: "If anyone is scared of sharing ideas I will insure your ideas for $20 a month and if your idea ever becomes reality I will pay you $1m. "

Where were you 5 years ago when I had an idea for an android dentist game?

http://www.indiedb.com/games/max-vs-mars

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-23 12:23:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-23 12:23:34