Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / utterly confused by Google+ - can someone help?

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 16th Nov 2013 13:00
Apparently various people have me in their Google+ circles so I tried to view a post from one of them. Google+ then required me to sign in before I was allowed to view it - but since I wasn't registered with Google+ I had to register first. Since the name I wanted to use was already taken I had to use something else - but then Google+ wouldn't let me view the post. How do I find out who is this "me" that Google+ thinks is in various circles and how should I go about viewing these posts that people want "me" to see?

What on earth is going on?

At least one good thing has come from all this - Google has stopped asking me if I want to set it as my homepage (it was already my homepage but Google didn't seem to know).

There are times when I just want to throw these infernal machines out of the window.

Powered by Free Banners
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2013 15:53
I have no idea, I think the problems people are having are from not signing up with google+ when it first came out, silly as it is. People are moaning about it on youtube also, about not being ableto respond to comments etc and that google+ wants to link all the comments you post.

See if you can contact google support and see what they say about your issue.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2013 16:06
Quote: "I think the problems people are having are from not signing up with google+ when it first came out"

Seems possible - although I would have expected a more robust system from Google.

Quote: "See if you can contact google support and see what they say about your issue."

Yes, it'll probably come to that.

Thanks.

Powered by Free Banners
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2013 18:34
I don't like google+, i feel like i'm losing my anonymity online

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 16th Nov 2013 19:16
GG, did you create a Google account? If so, then it's possible you can just login on Google+ with the same email address and password you used for the Google account.

Cheers

Quote: "Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2013 21:32 Edited at: 16th Nov 2013 22:18
Quote: "GG, did you create a Google account? If so, then it's possible you can just login on Google+ with the same email address and password you used for the Google account."

Yes. That's the problem. Google+ doesn't recognise that account as being the same person who was invited to view the posts. What I want to know is how can I tell Google+ that I am that person. By creating an account I was forced to create a new username or something and obviously, being a new account, it didn't refer to the same ID that people had used when sending me the invites. When I try to view the post using my new account I get the following message from Google+

Quote: "Your URL may be incorrect, the post may have been deleted or this account may not have access to the post."

Since I don't have any other Google+ accounts I seem to be stuck.

I know the email address people were using for me (obviously - since I received the emails from Google+) but there seems to be no way of getting Google+ to let me use that as the means of viewing the post.

Edit To make matters worse I can't now see how to sign out of Google+ or how to create a new account. Things seem to be going from bad to worse. [Edit2 I seem to have worked that bit out now. Just need a solution to the main problem now. The new account has two email addresses associated with it - a gmail one from Google+ and my usual one (which is the one which receives the invites).]