Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Bug: EditBox and EditBox Border Alpha

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2013 02:39 Edited at: 20th Nov 2013 02:40
There's a bug here, from the looks of it, the alphas are different shades and appear to be influencing each other. If I have border alpha set to 255, regular alpha doesn't work.

SetEditBoxBorderColor( 1, 255, 255, 255, 155 )
SetEditBoxBorderSize( 1, 6 )
SetEditBoxBackgroundColor( 1, 255, 255, 255, 155 )
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2013 04:34 Edited at: 20th Nov 2013 15:50
There does seem to be a difference in the way the alphas are applied to the border and the background.

But is it really a big issue?

You play with the values until it behaves the way you want.

And, I think I am not surprised. I am betting that the border alpha is getting combined with the background alpha. I suspect that the background is not just the area inside the borders, but the entire area covered by the edit box and its borders.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2013 04:56
No, I wouldn't say it's a big issue, but I would like to see it fixed.

I wish TGC would focus on higher quality text and text manipulation more in general.

I'm afraid it's something that's always been rather missing.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2013 16:39 Edited at: 20th Nov 2013 16:47
I ran a bunch of tests using full white for the colors, when set at all. This is the results. The first one, as indicated, is using whatever the default is:

Interestingly, setting the background only to alpha 100 yielded the same results as when both are set to full 255.

It's actually hard to tell but the border color on the third and fifth image are actually the same. Sampling the values shows they are both 100.

The 'color' for the center on the fifth one is 161 instead of 100. And the center of the fourth sample is 255. I suspect that is the affect of adding whatever bleed from the border to the alpha of 100 in the center reaching above 255 (the max).

There is clearly a bleeding issue happening if the background alpha is set to something other than 255. But it does not happen if it is just the border alpha being set.

I suspect a lot of tests were not done to see this kind of interaction.

Since it is not a critical issue, I don't think TGC is going to try to fix it for V1. But, we'll see if it still demonstrates in V2. If it does, then we'll flag it as a bug.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2013 22:53
Wow! Well thank you for running all those tests!

I appreciate it!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2013 02:06
It is the obsessive compulsive in me that needs to test things in all variants (and then document it properly).

So, we are sort of ready with tests that show what the problem is now. Then we can test again when V2 comes out.

Happy Programming!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 12:22:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 12:22:37