Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Forum personal message system

Author
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 02:28 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2013 14:08
I am pleased to announce the first release of the personal messaging system for TGC forums. This new personal messaging system is still in development but has been released to the community for them to use and test along with development.

You will notice under every users post there is now a message icon and also in the top right of every forum page there is the same icon to see your full list of messages.

Current features
- Live notifications while browsing the forums (bottom right), these are going to be improved.
- Messaging between two users in realtime there is no need to reload the page
- Deleting old messages, these are still visible to moderators if you are reported by a user for any reason.
- Link detection in messages.

Features coming soon
- Attachments to personal messages, this will come after the new attachment system is implemented.
- Reporting functionality to report a message to moderators
- Opting out via profile

The normal forum AUP applies to the PM system if you abuse the rules you may still be slapped or banned. Sending of excessive messages considered spam will result in an instant ban from personal messaging.

This system is still in development please report bugs here and give ideas for features you wish to see.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 02:40
Oh cool! The official line on this used to be that no-one at TGC thought it was worth the hassle, what changed?

Either way, nice to see the forum's still getting updates
(The alignment on the buttons at the top is slightly out now for me btw, it looks like you've just got a margin set wrong somewhere, but I couldn't really tell - the CSS is a bit of a mess)

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 02:45
Quote: "Oh cool! The official line on this used to be that no-one at TGC thought it was worth the hassle, what changed?"

I have taken over the forum code so I will be adding new features (here and FPSCR forums) and generally bringing the forums up to more modern standards.

Quote: "The alignment on the buttons at the top is slightly out now for me btw, it looks like you've just got a margin set wrong somewhere, but I couldn't really tell - the CSS is a bit of a mess"

I noticed also and it is on my list to fix. Yeh the CSS is a mess, tell me about it It is years old and is very outdated but will be cleaner in the future I hope.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 03:35
an opt out feature is necessary.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 04:04 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2013 04:05
Quote: "an opt out feature is necessary."

Surely you can simply ignore the messages if you don't want them?

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 05:16
FINALLY!

I know people have really been wanting this for... well, forever really.

Thanks!

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 10:17
Awesome. Would be good to hook it into the moderator system so that users can receive notifications of warnings/slaps/bans.

I'm So Kawaii!
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 12:54 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2013 12:54
Quote: "an opt out feature is necessary."

This is something I will be adding but it was not a massively urgent feature as like Indicium said you can easily ignore messages for now.

Quote: "Would be good to hook it into the moderator system so that users can receive notifications of warnings/slaps/bans."

One of the reasons for this system was to make mods lives easier for talking to users so that will no doubt happen in a future version.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 13:11
Great to see that you're the one in charge of the code now. Any chance of group chats in the future?

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 13:18
Thanks budo

Group chats are something I want to add but was not the original aim of the system so won't be in for a while.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 14:08
Deleting old messages and link detection is now in.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 19:40
Smart stuff! Looking forward to using it; once I get a situation where I need to send one.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 21:05
Oh My, updates... [Crawls back into Code Cave...]

AWESOME!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 00:02
Aye, I was wondering if you could add teleportation of physical hand-written notes to the recipient?

Nah but really, this seems quite nice! I am extremely happy to see that work is being done on the forums.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 03:01 Edited at: 26th Nov 2013 03:03
When we have unread messages the button could be highlighted thus: (Editing your image revealed that some of the corner pixels aren't transparent.)

Could we have the ability to copy other people into the conversation?

I am a bit wary of this new feature, we don't want people to do everything in private and not share with the community.

Formerly OBese87.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 09:12
Quote: "Yeh the CSS is a mess, tell me about it "

This is something me and Libervurto have been saying forever!

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 14:20
Libervurto

I will add that different icon for sure, I was thinking that also it helps if you miss the notification.

I know the corners were not transparent my Photoshop was messing me about so I just uploaded the non-transparent version.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 19:33
Perhaps you might consider adding a button in the personal message section to "return to forum". While I and others may either open the personal message section in a new tab/window or know to click on the "Developer Forum" logo to return to forum, new people may not.

Ease of use suggestion.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 14:46 Edited at: 27th Nov 2013 14:47
Hey Mr. The Next, loving the new messaging system. Already got a secret society going...I mean "pen pal" thing going.

I have run into a few issues/bugs though:

1) If someone puts a link in there message, from there on until the end of time, everything the messenger and receiver types turns into a link, and points to the original link. Even clicking on a blank message box to type will send you to the link.

2) You can't scroll through previous messages without it reverting back to the latest message automatically. You have to click and hold the scroll bar to keep it where you want it.

That's it so far! Thanks!

Inmortalis Nox
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 16:20
Quote: "If someone puts a link in there message, from there on until the end of time, everything the messenger and receiver types turns into a link, and points to the original link. Even clicking on a blank message box to type will send you to the link."

I cannot reproduce this error, can you send me a PM that will make it happen for me and I will fix.

Quote: "You can't scroll through previous messages without it reverting back to the latest message automatically. You have to click and hold the scroll bar to keep it where you want it."

I had noticed this and I will fix asap.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 17:48 Edited at: 27th Nov 2013 17:50
Sorry buddy, I blew up your messages like crazy. I was able to recreate it and I think I found what's happening.

If a 'backslash' is added to the end of the link then for some reason it makes the rest of the messages a link. So just have to delete that.

Still not sure why it goes into the next message with mine. Also what's with it adding a frontslash / every time I type a backslash \ into a message? That is weird. I sometimes see this after editing a post.

Edit: "test" "\" \ / \\ //

Inmortalis Nox
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 18:31 Edited at: 27th Nov 2013 20:42
That is a database related thing, I know how to fix it so will work on a patch from that tonight. Thanks for spotting the issue and spamming my messages

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 12:01
Quote: "Live notifications while browsing the forums (bottom right), these are going to be improved."

I don't see these. What do they look like?

Someone recently sent me two messages and I didn't know they were there because he'd said he had emailed me. It was only an afterthought a few days later that I thought to check the new message system and there they were.