Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Tunnels 9 (wip)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 19:35 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2013 19:39
Hi guys so after playing around with some designs I found some thing that I like.

Currently testing out the feel, texture's are currently placeholders, will be testing a clean set soon.Just remember it's the bare basic of the tunnels I haven't added any detail as yet.

If I go grungy some metal will be added, if I go clean, no or little metal, might do both if time permits.Walls will be made out of at least 3 different texture meshes to make up the final segment.Want to get this done in time for Xmas :p

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 20:17
Nice and clean design. I like the "wider" open feeling
from these. Very nice
best

You know you're a bad gamer when you're able to run out of infinite lives.
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 20:56
I too like it. looks really good.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Namnlosen
Years of Service
User Offline
This is looking good, with a good spacious feel to them.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 20:24
This not exactly the look I was going for, but still good enough that I might as well finish it.

I am going to do some thing about those flat floors,defno going to spruce things up a bit raise it and shorten the sides, just high enough for a light source underneath :p

Attachments

Login to view attachments
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2013 07:50
I played around I simply couldn't make it work the way I want it, so I went with the tunnels 8 basics.

Roof is 1.5 segments high and 6 units wide, so a unlike the previous segments high roofs much lower, not that the previous roofs where bad.

In addition to the new segments, made a raised segment, which will add a lot more depth to your levels.

Also adding a segment to make use of a platform lift :p

So you will have the standard, straight, T-junction, cross-junction and the usual stuff.

I am straying away from metal altogether for this one, purely concrete only, will add some ceiling, and wall vents but that is it metal wise.

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2013 09:27
You know your stuff is going to be killer in Reloaded.

Keep up the great work.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2013 09:36
Sadly I don't have money for reloaded, would love to get my hands on it, time is running out though, for the special prices
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2013 13:04
First tests, still a little bare, will have to play around with that now, but happy with it :p

Raised sections work perfectly thought :p

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2013 19:13
Looking real good. The concrete floor texture is really nice.
Walls look good too. Very realistic

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
These look great as always. It's good to see you back.

SC

Bringing you games since 1981!
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 13:16 Edited at: 8th Dec 2013 13:18
So,had to fix some issues with collision as you would be able to walk on the walls, and the support pillars, weren't working for me.

So sort of retained basic shape, but did some major interior remodeling, I like showing progress like this, it shows not every thing works out like planned first time around.

I did say no metal, but meh, my hands are itching, already added some wall grates, will be importing the main sections now, and posting some screens and then make adjustments.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 15:18
Tests is very positive, some minor tweaks,little more detail, pipes would be nice,that grate will have to go, with a more weathered look or a fence texture.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 17:45
I leave you guys with a final screenshot for a couple of days, subtle change of the grate and adding of the beam...Next couple of days working on the finishing off.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 19:08
your work is beyond words I hope this one is here to stay.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi wizard

Still up to your old high standards, I see?

Eugene
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 19:42
Final screens.

Added some useful stuff, like the roof vent still have to add a wall grate, and a light source for the walls. The corner segment came out perfectly, and doesn't go against the follow.just have to import cross and t-junctions, and a few different variances, another couple of days

Originally I said I wanted borderlands slaughter house feel to it, well this is the closest I will get to it.

Namnlosen
Years of Service
User Offline
Because this has a strongly industrial ambiance, have you considered making a factory tile set with a similar use of girders and grates, but with a much higher ceiling, perhaps 5 to 6 times higher than the one in this set to give creators the possibility of building very spacious industrial halls and factories?
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 18:51 Edited at: 10th Dec 2013 18:53
Nope, tunnels 9 idea was low ceilings, plus I wanted it to fit style wise with tunnels 8, so unfortunately not considering that theme, it's not industrial theme either, it's scifi-ish

I did do a warehouse/industrial segments a while back,these were never released publicly as I never found a way to allow users to import them easily enough into the editor.

However I learned some tricks, while working on tunnels 8 and 9, that will allow that to be done without hassle, a Single segment here contains as much as 13 mesh parts to make up a single section so will see, have a couple of things I want to do, like getting back to a stock media upgrade and the sewer revamp, even the WWII tunnels is on the list and of course the battle dome project
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 14:45
Wizard, may I ask you a small favour? Please will you reduce your levels of awesomeness, as my computer monitor can't handle it, it feels like it's going to explode any second now!!!

Seriously, these look really nice, I always look forward to seeing what you come up with next

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 21:57
Very, very nice. Love the clean open feeling.
The divider with the mesh looks perfect for this.
This has a lot of possibilities.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2013 21:50 Edited at: 13th Dec 2013 21:58
Thanks for the kind comments.

Started adding some other segments that add additional depth.

Basically this segments allows for one section to be lower than the other, will be doing the same with the raised segments, so that raised segment meets up on the upper level with a ramp instead of stairs.

Also should note I am hoping to add additional segments that will allow separate rooms to be connected, to main sections, which can be randomly added to it.

However with that in mind and what else I have planned it will not make it in time for x-mas, but the good news is, I am hoping to make this my best pack ever, in particular trying to break away from the linear, tunnels and add some depth from the use of raised and lower level segments.

Estimated release would be about mid Jan early Feb, as I have to extensively test entity collision, As the segments are quite complex, I have hit 23 mesh parts for a single straight segment, forgot what FPS segment creator limit is, been a while since I have added so many parts but that said, It is as simple as rotating the segment and placing it adding entities light sources for the end user, so I have taken the Guess work and frustration out of the segments :p

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 14:39
Hi guys attached to this post the first video sneak peak :p Enjoy

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2013 20:31
So currently testing out light sources, also added 2 new segments, Light sources do look nice I do think that they are a little long, will have to shorten them, and add another colour type :p

The two new segments basically extend, the straight segment with additional room(s).

Then I want to bring in some thing red, don't what yet maybe, a red beam.Then I want to tackle the floors, and pipes. Pipes in this pack will not be visible per say will be wall/roof/floor pipes,

I don't think I will be adding, any more rooms, Will just work on the foliage, and get it looking to look awesome.I am really pushing for this to be the best tunnels pack.

Should also note feedback is appreciated, if there is some thing, segment wise you would like to see in this pack, give me a holler.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 19:46
Added the wall vent, removed the small wall vent, reduce the wall light size.Couldn't be happier, Just the floors and I am done.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 13:15 Edited at: 20th Dec 2013 09:05
Final screenshot before release.Roof vent.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 04:07
Looks spectacular so far! When do you think you will release these then?

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 05:12
Thanks wolf

Another week or so, not in a rush, want to get every thing perfect.!
otrov77
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 08:32
looking awesome! Can you tell me what will price be ?

Thanks
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 09:53
@otrov77

Thanks bud.

No price indication as yet, still adding segments as we speak, have already added another two this morning. There is a few more to come.

So we will see in due course.I also don't want to set a specific date for release either, as I have said before I want it to be perfect.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 11:20
Hi guys went and asked for feedback on the pack, it seems the general consensus is the pack needs to diversify a bit.

I am more that happy to do so, I want the pack perfect, I also want to provide ability to create a unique level design each and every time.

As such I have to add new rooms, new foliage, however the textures will stay put. Current pack size is nearing 450mb, 95 meshes.

I will regularly update as such on progress, so you are able to give feedback on progress.

I made the first new room segments, with a rounded roof, currently a test, it's positive do have add more detail to the metal supports.

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 22:55
Wow wizard of id ! There is so much detail in these segments.
Really amazed. The steel ceiling supports adds a lot to the
overall look and feel.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2013 05:35 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2013 09:16
New round segments are completely interchangeable with other segments, so you can have them alternate.Also fixed up the metal supports a bit

Currently a half height room segment I am working on.

I don't know if you guys still remember this.

Well I never released it due to issues relating to collision on the outside, as a inside area it is perfect, considering that the tunnels segments are indoor environments only, I am going to incorporate this into tunnels 9, where the outside area is of little importance, and thus also remove outside faces, and should be able to reduce the poly count from 6k to 4 or less.

The design will be smaller maybe 8 segments in total, as it is the tunnels 9 pack segments are massive, you wouldn't be able to cram in more that 30 segments for example, per level, 30 would be pushing it already performance wise, as these segments are high detailed segments 24 segments equals to about 95k polygons, I have done 500K polygons before without much hassle including AI by the dozen, however not every one has a strong system.

But be warned with the shaders applied to the segments, it will require a good GPU and CPU. Current test system is a 2400K and 570GTX, low end system was a Q6600 and HD5450, without shaders I managed to get 55 FPS, on the low end rig, with shaders it was basically unplayable.

With the 570GTX test rig, well above 350 FPS with shaders enabled, so still a lot of headroom left for adding entities and AI.
TheRealOne
Years of Service
User Offline
You selling that or You give it for free?
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2013 16:13
you have a great talent for design of these tunnels and caves. looking awesome.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2013 19:25
Imported the new room for a quick test, the room is too large, not a lot happening in it, going to reduce, the one side to quarter size wall/floor, and split the rooms into two parts again.

This will reduce the size, to more a manageable realistic room.

The metal strut does look nice, however one or both will have to go for the new changes.A 3 layered floor plan will look much better, and add a lot more depth to the room.Will however still make use of this room, and make a sort of raised control room section, in the middle, which will reduce the size and give a better end result visually, it means I don't have to re-invent the wheel, just add to it :p

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 13:39 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2013 14:12
Okay much better, still feel there is one problem area, that needs to be "fixed" in the middle section

@TheRealOne

Pack will be for sale, in the near future
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
These look great Wiz, Merry Christmas bro'.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking very good Wiz merry xmas

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by Donating now :- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208057&b=21
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2013 06:28
Started with the tweaking and swapping out place holders, the girders were a problem area for me, although they did look nice they didn't really suite the environment, did a neat little trick on the girders, which visually looks awesome, it also breaks the harsh lines a little.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2013 08:13 Edited at: 26th Dec 2013 08:27
Woah! Takes every semblance of FPSCreator right out of it! This looks like its straight out of some 2005-6 AAA Shooter.

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2013 08:19
Thanks for the feedback wolfie, I won't rest til it's perfect.Still loads of work left to do.
SpaceWurm
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 27th Dec 2013 10:11
Wizard! I don't think there is a problem with the diversity of the meshes. This is looking really amazing!

The great thing about your messages is that it breaks the classic look of how segments are used in FPSC. As Wolf mentioned.

Nice work mate!

Cheers from Cape Town

Landman

Artrift.com - Digital Art Community | MyPixelbox.net - My Creative Blog
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Great work as always! Glad to see you back on here again!

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 08:58
Minor changes, Fixing up UVmaps, reduced specular maps on some items a bit, changes are subtle you might not even notice them.You may have noticed I still haven't done the floors, currently busy with the indoor dome, however nothing is working so far.

Will spend another day on that, if I still can't get some thing to my liking I am moving on,

Also testing out additional texture sets.

I should also note this is also the last official "segment" based pack for X9, I want to move onto content creation for reloaded, it may be backward compatible with X9.

With reloaded I will be finally able to create asymmetrical designs, pending of course the collision has been vastly improved.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 19:01 Edited at: 30th Dec 2013 19:01
I haven't created any thing that I like for the indoor dome that works, so I am leaving that out of the pack.

So I rather move on and work on the minor details, and add a few more texture variations, and segments variations, ect.

This is a simple texture variation of the metal Support.I want to work on a mesh variations for the middle part of the straight meshes next. Stay tuned for that it is going to be epic and allow for some interesting mazes to be created.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 10:33
Some thing I always wanted to do, but never able to figure it out was how to create a force field door, thanks to couple of guys, on the forum.

I found that using a video texture is a cool way of doing so :p.

It also gave me the idea of doing signs and lights, By using video textures, it's means I would be able to create and actual flickering light, bar the light map.

This was basically just a test, I needed to learn how to create the gif and convert it to video and use it in FPSCreator.

Now I can start creating and actual force field entity and light sources and animated signs.

As you can see I am busy adding entities
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 12:19 Edited at: 4th Jan 2014 10:01
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 15:21
This is looking really awesome Wizard of Id! I have always liked your WIP threads, always interesting stuff.

I watched your video and the tunnels look really good as well - almost as if it wasn't FPSC at all! (I know it sounds cheesy heh)

But one little thing though that I keep on noticing (more so on the walls) is that some of the textures to me look like they are a little out of scale - the "leaking" on the walls looks too large. I think in real life the stains would probably have much finer streaks. They still look very good though - if you want to keep the textures the way they are then go ahead

Have you thought of maybe doing some spider web entities and stuff? Maybe some hanging moss like in some sewers? I think that would be good for people who would like to make their tunnels a little more dilapidated. Just an idea

[/href]
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 20:06 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2014 20:26
Thanks for the feedback

attached is the sample texture used, original size is 1024 x 1024, streaks may look odd, but the mesh size is well with in range for the texture size, tweaking the shaders maps a bit will might improve the look a bit.

But thanks for the Feedback, much appreciated

*Edit

No problem with the height, the width is a bit stretched, no biggie,just have to invert so the middle match up :p Thanks looks better now, it does mean all the walls needs to be subdivided now, its quick :p

[img][/img]

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 03:21:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 03:21:24