Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / assassin's creed 4 sucks

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2013 23:09
Never played the series before, but got this one free on uplay (ugh) with my graphics card. Graphics are cool, so are the attack and animation sequences, but it pretty much ends there. The controls are utterly terrible! You have so little control over actual movements. You can't run without him trying to climb up everything near him. And half the time you try to take someone out from behind silently, he pushes them instead, thus alerting every guard. And the boat adventures are just plain annoying. Not too mention how many times I've had to restart a mission simply because I went into an area that isn't available yet. Really? Penalize the player for exploring? The game is too linear. Oh, and you have to be so precise in exactly where you stand to objects to take action that it's very annoying.

I love the Thief franchise and this seemed to have a similar feel, a stealth fps with looting and assassinations. Most of the things in the game I dislike I could deal with if only the controls weren't so bad. I'm pretty sure they designed this for xbox first with a keyboard an afterthought.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2013 23:11
Every AC game has been a port over from console to PC. however, I've thought in every game up to Revelations was absolutly amazing ports - control wise. Either they did something new odd or sloppy or you're just wrong ^^

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 00:57
My guess would be that it's just a glitched-up port. It'll probably get better after they release an update for it.

I've heard pretty good reviews for it so far, sad to see the PC version isn't holding up as well as it could!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 04:29
Everyone else I've met that's played it loves the game. They're also playing on an xbox. I just hate how it takes so much control away. You jump of a ledge and it picks a pre-determined spot where you'll land. I'm climbed onto more chests than I've opened! However, I do like shooting monkeys and watching them fall from trees. :p I'd prefer it got rid of the sea adventures altogether and just stuck on land.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 06:53 Edited at: 25th Nov 2013 06:53
Quote: "I'd prefer it got rid of the sea adventures altogether and just stuck on land."

this is the thing though, there's 5 games before this game that does just that - sticks on land.

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 11:57
I've personally greatly enjoyed the assassin creed series, except for revelations and not so much AC3. I really enjoy the pirate setting for AC4.

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download the demo today!
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 17:40 Edited at: 25th Nov 2013 17:40
I loved the first one! Had fun with AC2 but lost interest from there.

I generally advise not to jump on franchises you aren't into. Once a "4" is in the title chances are its just something being milked for profit. However, I have heard good things about this game.

Quote: ". I just hate how it takes so much control away. You jump of a ledge and it picks a pre-determined spot where you'll land."

Jupp! An aspect that breaks a lot of bigger games for me...TOO eas to use. So much that the interactivity is broken by convenience.

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 18:30 Edited at: 25th Nov 2013 18:34
Quote: "I loved the first one! Had fun with AC2 but lost interest from there."

Same, but I'm a sucker for pirates - might interesting to see how it has progressed as a series, so I may pick this up. Awkward PC controls should hopefully not be a problem for me on the account of being a controller gamer, well, usually with the exception of FPS titles.

I had a similar situation with CoD, only really played up to CoD2, which was a great game, maybe if they release CoD: Pirate Warfare or CoD: Viking Ops then I might give it a go again. I am shallow. I may get BF4, never actually played a BF title, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 18:58
funny, Revelations was my favorite in the series - and 2 was good but.. in the shadow of revelations it's easily forgotten ^^

1st was the best - combat wise, and 3 is nice setting wise. Not much into pirates so i'll probably skip 4.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 18:59
Personally I hated all the AC games the controls just never made sense to me seemed like no work was put into them for the PC audience.

Could have been done so much better. They may be better now as I only played the first and half the second but that was enough for me.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 19:13
Quote: "Personally I hated all the AC games the controls just never made sense to me seemed like no work was put into them for the PC audience."

Really? I found them odd at first, and after 5 minutes I realized, they fit like a glove.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 19:18
I'm not sure what it was about them just didn't ever agree with me. If I ever get some free time I will have to give them another shot.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 20:01
Brotherhood was the best. The combinations of controls, settings and gameplay was the best for me. Revelations introduced a few control issues, and 3 made those issues much worse trying to simplify the controls.

If AC4 more closely matches the controls of AC:B, then I'm all in. (But I'll get it anyway since I'm a fan of the series ever since Microsoft gave AC2 away for free!)

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 20:27
Quote: "Revelations introduced a few control issues,"

Really? I thought Revelations was more fluid than ever

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 20:35
I played AC on a gamepad and I played it on a keyboard. Instead of dozens of words:

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 21:41
I'd absolutly expect that of a 3rd person platformer, but i'm just saying that AC does a darn fine job with it.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 21:49
I can't play NFS on a keyboard. Absolutely. Also I love AC, also it doesn't have elves.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 00:18
Quote: "I thought Revelations was more fluid than ever"

I didn't think so. So many times you go to run up a wall, but just jump off it the wrong way. Wasn't as bad as AC3, but was the start of the downfall.

Like I said, I personally believe brotherhood to be the best playing game. Ezio's story was also the strongest of the series IMO.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 00:40
and since ezios story continues in revelations ; )

I did start to play AC2, but dropped it - got AC Rev, played it through and then began on AC 2, dropped it (Hate replaying bits...) and then tried Brotherhood - the "backdrop" in mobility functionality was too much and I just dropped it.

Revelations brought an amazing little thing - the hookthingiethang, that made climbing stuff MUCH smoother and the gameplay a heck of a lot more enjoyable.

AC and AC Rev will always be my favorites, but I want to try and get through AC 2, I really do, as when I played through half of it at first, it was amazing.
Just gotta wait a time, and forget about it ~ say.. in 2 years or so

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 01:51
I really enjoyed the first game, it was repedative but it was really awesome for the time and the story was pretty interesting. AC2 was pretty good and brotherhood was great. I felt revalations was where the series started going downhill where it was just more of the same. Then I played AC3 and I did not enjoy it at all. It was a terrible PC port (enemies spawned infront of me on the street, the crafting system didnt work in the beginnning), it looked pretty bad (very few improvments graphics wise and the animation quality got worse IMO) and the story was terrible + the gameplay was just more of the same again. I dont think I will get AC4 for a while even though I like the thought of more naval elements.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 04:53 Edited at: 26th Nov 2013 04:58
Quote: "I'd prefer it got rid of the sea adventures altogether and just stuck on land."

But that's the only interesting part I've heard about an AC game since the first one.

Have they dropped the whole animus baloney yet? I've hated it from the beginning, it's the reason I stopped playing the first one. It's the worst contrivance I've ever seen in a game; why put something in your game that forcefully breaks your immersion every few minutes!? Why couldn't they just set it in the past? Why have this huge contrivance to make sure the main character is a white Caucasian male American even if the game is set before America existed!?

Yes this is bringing up some stuff, hehe, but it really disappointed me because I was looking forward to playing an interesting unique game. All I heard was that you play as an assassin in Jerusalem around 1000 AD, that sounds like a great idea for a game, but Ubisoft cocked it up with their contrived nonsense and, as Phaelax said, their floaty control system. The combat is basically a QTE.
The parkour was impressive, the graphics were nice, the atmosphere of the game was great (with all the HUD off). The core of the game is enjoyable and well made, they just screwed it up with nonsense and oversimplicity.

I played Brotherhood but mainly the multi-player. Story mode is too linear, and if you're going to squeeze the player down one path it better be a hell of a ride, but it isn't, the writing has always been terrible.

Have you tried the multi-player, Phaelax? It's a lot of fun. That is if they still have The Ship style multiplayer that I'm thinking of.

Formerly OBese87.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 09:36 Edited at: 26th Nov 2013 09:41
From what I've read online, most people seem to agree AC3 was the worst of the series.

Quote: "Have they dropped the whole animus baloney yet?"

Nope. I'm collecting them and still don't know why.

Quote: "The parkour was impressive,"

My character appears to be a parkour jedi master!

Quote: "Have you tried the multi-player, Phaelax? "

Not yet, maybe I'll give that a try.

The more I played, I began to realize that the fighting was even more automatic than I thought. I thought I was being skillful when fighting multiple enemies and dodging around back and forth. Turns out, I get the same result by just clicking my mouse. The character will automatically pick a target and attack in a variety of ways. This is fine on a console where quick movements selecting multiple targets can be more difficult with a controller, but it's not necessary when I'm using a mouse and keyboard.

The water and ship adventures are slightly less annoying now. I managed to take over a few forts. But a new annoyance is bugging me, and that's the pointless cut-scenes taking me back to an office building in modern times. Now go talk to your boss on the 17th floor. Good job. Now go back to your desk and continue playing.... Why is this even in the game? Why can't I skip the long boring dialog?

I think it's time for Thief 4, the original assassin! And I just read this: Thief drops QTEs

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 09:47
Quote: "Have they dropped the whole animus baloney yet? "

In the first game (which - story wise sucked) it was bad. Lately though, they've put more and more into that bit which, to be honest, makes me genuinely intrigued as to what's happening to Desmond.

Quote: "The more I played, I began to realize that the fighting was even more automatic than I thought."

*block*
*Counterattack*
*Infinite chain of instakills*
*YOU KILLED THE ENTIRE TOWN*

That's pretty much the only REALLY bad thing about these games - it's essentially impossible to die.

Quote: "the original assassin"

I've never seen thief as an assassin game.. more like - well.. a game about a thief. But then, I never managed to get past like the 2nd level in thief 3 x-)

Quote: "Not yet, maybe I'll give that a try."

The multiplayer is reeeeaallllyy good.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 10:46
I was really annoyed by the animus stuff in the first game, like Libervurto said, it really broke the immersion of the beautiful ancient world. But in AC2 and brotherhood they did something with it which made want more of that story and it felt like it fit in a lot better with the "old" world (perhaps it fit better because the game explained why you were doing things in the animus in the first place. The desmond story did get incredibly confusing in AC3, probably because I didnt finish revelations

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 11:35
Quote: "probably because I didnt finish revelations"

Probably ^^ Revelations was quite heavily focused on Desmond

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 12:48
Indeed, and my game was quite fond of crashing in the desmond parts so I didnt bother with finishing it

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 02:55
I'd sure like to try the multiplayer, but uplay says I need the latest update first, which is another 22GB download! Basically I have to redownload the entire game again. That is not a "patch"!

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 06:22
I would never ever complain about "big patches".. I appreciate them - I dont get people complaining about big patches...
unless it's just "fixed text issue"~~

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 09:21
Quote: "I would never ever complain about "big patches".. I appreciate them - I dont get people complaining about big patches...
unless it's just "fixed text issue"~~"

Internet speed in our area is less than great, it would take months to download a 22gig patch.

If you could get a hard copy from the game store for a dollar it wouldn't be so bad.

Burn retina, burn!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 09:32
Aye, fibre optic isn't everywhere, dunno about months, but it would take ages on my system. I found the same thing with Shogun 2, it wouldn't be so bad if they were optional.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 11:02
ah yes, it was much better before when you scavanged the internet for the patches! XD

no but a "download in backround" system wouldnt be so bad, and then install it once it has finished

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 15:25 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2013 15:27
It's not so much my internet speed, it's the fact I only have 17GB of space left on my harddrive and 22GB for what they call a "patch" is just ridiculous. I'll just stick to playing in offline mode. I also got Splinter Cell Blacklist for free from the same deal that I have yet to play.

Not too mention it seems like every time I launch Uplay there's another update for it, so I gotta wait for that before I can even launch my game. I hate 3rd party distribution software! It's completely unnecessary.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2013 19:07
22GB for a patch?! I agree with you, that's ridiculous!

I used to loathe updating the Battlefield series on PC, as it was often up to 1 or 2 GB per patch and I had a pretty shoddy internet connection back then.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 12:19:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 12:19:51