Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Electronic help, replacing fluorescent ballast

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 17:31
I have an old aquarium light (from around 1997) and it makes an annoying buzzing sound. I replaced the bulb (T8) and it still did it. My uncle said it probably has a magnetic ballast and to replace it with an electronic one. So I went to Lowes and got what I believe is the appropriate unit, despite it being much longer. The size isn't an issue, I think I can still fit it into the existing housing, but the wiring is completely different.

The old ballast only had 2 wires, one running to the power cord and the other to one of the light sockets. The other socket is wired to the on/off switch, with the two sockets being connected through a starter. From what I read so far, electronic ballast doesn't need a starter, so should I just bypass it or will it be fine leaving it connected? Also, since the new ballast has two power wires(as I would expect), where do I wire in the ground? I'm guessing to the other lead shown connecting to the switch. I'm still left with the red wire from the new ballast. Would that take the place of the previous wire which went through the starter?

Here are pics of what I'm working with:
http://zimnox.com/temp/light/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 10:25:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 10:25:12