Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Android + Eclipse Owned!!

Author
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 02:40
Ok is the time to extend on Android...
We just bought a Mediacom SmartPad S4 and we installed all SDK/NDK/AGK/Eclipse on windows.
We flashed the tablet with the "Lapy" rom to get it as a Samsung S4 with Android 4.2.2, and we spent 3 days to understand how to use DEBUG under Eclipse.
Eclipse is owned!!
Now we have the possibility to debug without sending the apk everytime, so we can use breakpoints, etc.
My Apple template work perfectly under Android (ahahaha, what the luck!) as i used always C++.

Now i will teach to my new coder how to port OBJ C part to C++ and we will be on the wave also on the other side.
On Android i will publish only free games with in app and with AdMob.

About January/February i will do a statistic of Apple VS Android earnings about AdMob/iAd, In App....

Ah, just as my humble opinion, Android can't compete with Apple... Eclipse is catastrofic, compared with XCode 5.
Google need an IDE to do all automatically.
Android, i'm arriving!!!!!

Long life to Steve!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 03:43 Edited at: 9th Dec 2013 03:43
Haha! Surprised to see you switch to the "darkside" after so much Android criticism in the past. But, it is the other huge app market with increasing popularity so it makes sense! Good luck, let us know when you've got some Android apps out there.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 04:33
Android does involve a bit more setup. But that is because it is using a base (Java) that is already pretty cross platform capable. Xcode is using something specific to Apple products.

I don't promote one over the other. Each has its benefits and drawbacks.

Setting up Eclipse takes a few more steps. But, once done, it is easy. And it supports many more devices than Apple/iOS does. And, from what I hear, is a whole lot easier to deal with when publishing. Apple can be a royal pain in the rear. (Okay, maybe a little bias, only because I haven't tried to do an Android publish and have done one for Apple, for a client).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 17:09
Ehehe, one friend of mine said that Google accept apps immediately, this is very strange, but can be good.

I need to investigate also on the receipt verification for Android in app to use all my free games.
To be completely operative i need :
- Http Request (maybe i will use AppGameKit one)
- In App Server verification
- AdMob (i will use AGK)
- Unique ID for every device
- Facebook (maybe i will use the AppGameKit one)

Long life to Steve!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 19:59
Google give much less hassle than iTunes.
Beta testing is much easier in Google Play.
Eclipse and NDK are evil.
Anyway pluses and minuses.

HTTPRequest and all other HTTP functions work really well in Android. I've had some issues in iOS where if I reuse a connection ID it will sometimes still store the previous response even if that response has been accessed and a new request has been sent. Sending a file for iOS works fine as long as you don't have the PHP scripts in a protected directory.

In App server verification - not sure what you mean by this, my app has credentials that are checked against our server.

AdMob in AppGameKit works fine, you can't scale the ad and are limited to banners, but it's ok. Probably wouldn't be too hard to modify it for other ad sizes, but I only tried once by changing the ad type flag and it didn't work so I gave up as it wasn't that important. Would be cool if we could do something like Temple Run does though where the add has an animation transition.

Unique ID for every device. What I do for this is use GetDeviceName and add a random integer to it, that gets stored in my user's credential file and on the server. There's issues with that though because if they uninstall the app or clear it's cache then the server gets a new unique device id... Would be great if we could get something truly unique to the device.

Facebook in AppGameKit works pretty well, I've had a few instances where I'd have to sign in to FB even though the device is already signed in. Probably something to do with us using older Facebook SDK, not a big deal. Friendslist stuff works great, post to wall works nicely, would be nice to be able to send an invite like other apps, but I think post to wall might be a better attention grabber.

Receipt verification will be difficult. When a purchase is made I have the app generate a receipt string that is sent to the server and all of my scripts that add a balance to the user's account requires their credentials. Unfortunately, AppGameKit doesn't have commands to retrieve the receipt string after the purchase is made, but this might give you some clues on verification:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17143807/how-can-i-verify-google-play-in-app-purchase-in-php

If you do set up a nice IAP verification using PHP please share it with me, I'd love to secure our purchases a little better.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 20:19
Thx Naphier, this In App link is a good help.

Device ID :
I will use mine c++ code to do the ID from MAC address i used until Apple deprecated it.

For the rest i will try to use the AppGameKit features.
I hope it will be easy to use Java JNI to get some Java vars as i done in the OBJ C with Apple.

Long life to Steve!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 20:31
I've put in a request for a function to get the device's MAC address.
https://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/detail?id=613
If you're able to get some code working for MAC addresses it might be beneficial to AppGameKit if you posted it there so maybe us t1 users can use it too.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2013 00:45
Of course i will show it as i don't use it anymore on Apple.
I will open a new post on it soon.

Long life to Steve!
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 14:04
I have to admit a thing....
How s...t Android and Eclipse are!!!!
Is incredible how they managed the OS.
Eclipse is the worst IDE i ever used. Notepad++ and NetBeans beat it 10-1!!!

The ones that defend Android, i think they must try Apple. They will never get back again.
Absurde!!! If i was Google, i would fire the Android coders immediately.

Windows is much batter than it.

Long life to Steve!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 17:40
I use both. I can't say I love Eclipse, but it works great, very versatile, but it is not for the feint of heart. I really don't like xCode and how all of its menus are context sensitive and lock you out if you don't have the right thing selected. I don't like how you don't save a file to commit changes it just automatically does it, I don't like how it handles archives for distribution, in Eclipse you just use Windows' file explorer system not some special interface, I love how you only need ONE keystore to sign your Android apps, you don't have to mess around with multiple Provisioning profiles and Certificates which is a huge waste of time. I could go on for a bit longer, but I understand your shell shock. Coming from the simple locked-down interface of any Mac to a Windows and Java based environment would indeed be overwhelming, just so many options!

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
@Gekko, Google now has Android Studio (beta) which will eventually serve as a replacement for all the complications of Eclipse. It looks really slick.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/studio.html
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 16th Dec 2013 00:15 Edited at: 16th Dec 2013 00:18
Quote: "How s...t Android and Eclipse are!!!!"

I agree
That's why I use AppGameKit! No Java coding needed
As you only use a few basic functions of Eclipse, it's passable.

xCept,
Isn't Android Studio just a skinned and streamlined version of Eclipse? Sort of like the Black Berry SDK/IDE?

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
^ I'm not sure, I've never used it just saw the demo at IO conference. To me it seems like it will be a more direct counterpart to Xcode on OS X, for Android development.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2013 20:50
Now i have another error, the touch don't work.
I don't understand wich is the problem as all work but not the touch.

Any of you have some suggestions?
Is Android Studio good for agk and ndk?

Long life to Steve!
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 03:58
I'm installing Eclipse + Andoird on MAC, i wanna do some tests.
I think it will work better.

Long life to Steve!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 01:05:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 01:05:15