Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Peter Clatworthy Pays $750 For XBox One Photo

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 15:29
Quote: "When Peter Clatworthy paid nearly $750 for an XBox One from an eBay seller, he expected to get the actual console.

Instead, he just got a photo of it, with a snarky "Thank you for your purchase written on the back.""

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/06/peter-clatworthy_n_4399505.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009&ir=Technology#slide=424716

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 16:01
He got a refund from eBay, this happens all the time.

Why eBay allowed a photograph of a console to be listed for $750 I don't know. People try these stunts all the time, best to read any product description over and over to be sure you know what your getting.

I remember my brother bidding on what he thought was a flat screen monitor for £50 - turned out to be a list of flat screen monitors... the gits are lucky that they weren't local!

I am the one who knocks...
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 17:13
True, it happens. I hear some guy purchased a box with the letter 'X' on it.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 22:08
He's an idiot. He read it was a photo but bought it anyway, and was then upset when he got sent a photo. I see now he's been rewarded for his stupidity by CEX who have given him a free XBox One. He's the reason there need to be disclaimers in catalogues like 'Pet bed does not come with dog'...

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 01:18
Isn't that seller being blatantly misleading on purpose? Isn't that illegal?

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 03:07
Ebay is wacky anyway. You can buy empty soda cans that are "haunted"...

Shadow of the Ramen is Coming!!
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 04:48
Should have received the Xbox 1 instead.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 06:39
Quote: "Why eBay allowed a photograph of a console to be listed for $750 I don't know."

Pretty sure eBay doesn't have people vetting each and every single item that goes up for sale

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 09:41
Quote: "Isn't that seller being blatantly misleading on purpose? Isn't that illegal?
"

What was misleading? He advertised a photograph, the buyer read it said photograph, but bought it anyway because he thought it would be an xbox. That's just stupidity, which he has now been rewarded for...

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 10:40
Quote: "Pretty sure eBay doesn't have people vetting each and every single item that goes up for sale "

They'd have to!

eBay has so many rules about what they can sell. They wouldn't even want to list an item that might be illegal, like I could setup an auction for a antique barrel - and that might be a shotgun barrel, and eBay would get in trouble (at least in the UK) for even listing it. So I don't see how they can operate legally without checking every single auction. How deeply they check might be another thing entirely, but I'm sure they'd pick up on any auctions that put them at risk, so there's no excuse for con auctions at that sort of price range to be allowed. The reason why it's a thing is probably due to all the cons that do work, when people don't complain and the dodgy seller and eBay get to keep the cash.

The reason why he has his money back and a free XBOne is because he complained - because the media is involved and there's a chance for companies to get some exposure. At this time of year $750 for a retailer to look good in online news is like gold dust, I'm not surprised at the corporate Santa's one bit.

ScroogeBay69 call's down to a street urchin
''Child, do they still have that XBox One in the Gamestation window?''
''The one as big as me?''
''YES! - Go and take a picture of it so I can auction it on eBay and anyone stupid enough to assume a $750 console wouldn't be listed illegitimately deserves to have their families Christmas ruined!''

Warms the heart

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 11:47
Quote: "He's an idiot. He read it was a photo but bought it anyway, and was then upset when he got sent a photo. I see now he's been rewarded for his stupidity by CEX who have given him a free XBox One. He's the reason there need to be disclaimers in catalogues like 'Pet bed does not come with dog'..."

I totally agree. I get so cross just thinking that this idiot was actually given a console for free. Essentially, he was rewarded for being an idiot.

Look, the guy selling the photo was clearly pulling a con and I find things like that reprehensible but the bottom line is that by protecting (and rewarding) Average Joe Moron, we only encourage stupidity which then rapidly contaminates society.
Many consumer rights are legitimate and should be enforced but people can't go around crying whenever they are the cause of their own misery.

I know what I'm about to say borders on the dreaded "political" but I blame today's leaders for the attitudes of today's new generation because I think children are too mollycoddled and it results in adults with a sense of entitlement and a delusion that it's The World's responsibility to look after them. Look, in a perfect world, it would be so. But this isn't a perfect world. I'd love to rant about my feelings on "We're all special", "Every kid should get a trophy" and the like but I'm going to stop myself because I tend to get quite verbose and I may actually say something -- well, probably a few things -- which are potentially offensive.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 23:02
Quote: "I get so cross just thinking that this idiot was actually given a console for free. Essentially, he was rewarded for being an idiot... the bottom line is that by protecting (and rewarding) Average Joe Moron, we only encourage stupidity which then rapidly contaminates society."

It's a transparent publicity stunt. I think it's more worrying that you feel there is some injustice here, it's just an xbox.

Quote: "... I think children are too mollycoddled and it results in adults with a sense of entitlement and a delusion that it's The World's responsibility to look after them."

I don't think it is mollycoddling that is the problem but ignorance, people don't seem to appreciate the amount of work that goes into creating and maintaining things. They feel entitled to all these things because they have no idea how hard they are to produce. I suppose that could be the result of mollycoddling and censoring reality.

Formerly OBese87.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 00:25
Yes. This person is absolutely has an entitlement complex because clearly an xbone is not worth a measly 750 dollars.

Oh wait, maybe you're talking about the guy who sent a scanned photo? Yeah, he's a giant you know what.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 05:45
Quote: "What was misleading? He advertised a photograph, the buyer read it said photograph"

I'll read the article first next time

Yea, he's an idiot. But did anyone else catch in the article that he's 19 with a 4yr old?

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 06:41
Yeah, I did catch that. And then I wasn't surprised by his actions any longer!

Well, that's sort of a lie. People somehow always manage to surprise me. Just when I think I've heard (or seen) the most ridiculous thing, someone shows the previous person up a bit.

On the bright side, makes for some fun topics on certain forums!

Make your pledge today!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 07:12
Instead of reimbursing him, they should pay for the psychiatrist...
Or maybe send him to school.

Where is common sense these days

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 12:18
If I was ebay I would have left him to learn a lesson in not being so stupid.

He even said he read it was a photo and chose to order it still thinking it would be real.

He deserves nothing from anyone and should be out of pocket as far as I'm concerned.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked

View the beta TGC forum progress at the url below View beta forum
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 13:00
But that would mean the seller would get away with it?, I don't see how that's better!

Really he should just get his money back, the seller banned, and that's it - it's other glory-hunting companies that have made it ridiculous.

Slow Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 16:10
I wonder how many people were bidding against him to run the price up that high.

Thinking of something witty to put here.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 16:18
I don't see how the seller actually did anything wrong all he did was list a very expensive photo online. Nothing that is a bannable offence by doing that, his description was valid and not misleading.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 16:30 Edited at: 11th Dec 2013 16:30
If you are selling a photograph then it should not be placed in the gaming category?

The buyer probably thought the seller had made a mistake by writing photograph instead of just providing one, I can see that thought process although he should not have chanced it without clarifying first.

People get scammed everyday, it's not the fault of the person who is scammed, it's the criminals who are doing the scamming. Older people are scammed all the time and you could debate all day about how stupid they may have been, but that just takes away some blame from the criminal imo.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 16:48
Not misleading?

Give me a break!

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 17:51
I would agree that a listing in the wrong category is misleading and should have been moved. However having a valid description is not misleading if you read one thing and choose to believe another then that is just stupidity, he should have got confirmation first before parting with his money.

I am not saying that I think ebay has done the wrong thing, but I do believe that this man should think before he buys as nothing in the listing apart from the category was actually wrong.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 18:33
Quote: "The buyer probably thought the seller had made a mistake by writing photograph instead of just providing one,"

I suppose that's fair enough (even though I doubt that was his thought process)... But he's still an idiot, lol.

I don't think the seller is any less despicable though.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 18:52
I agree the seller is despicable for even trying this he knew he was manipulating people but still this guy is a whole other level of stupid.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 20:58 Edited at: 11th Dec 2013 23:11
Quote: "Peter Clatworthy Pays $750 For XBox One Photo"

Someone has already had to post it:

No offence, but that guy reminds me of those not so clever funny people that waiting near Apple Store to buy new iPhone.

edit: where is striked text tag gone?!

edit: it is returned!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 21:53
Quote: "I don't see how the seller actually did anything wrong all he did was list a very expensive photo online. Nothing that is a bannable offence by doing that, his description was valid and not misleading."

Oh come on, it was clearly a trick.

Quote: "admits he was conned, because the listing clearly stated it was a photo of an XBox One Day One edition console. However, he decided to buy it since the item was listed in eBay's video games and consoles category.

"It said 'photo' and I was in two minds, but I looked at the description and the fact it was in the right category made me think it was genuine," he told the Nottingham Post. "I looked at the seller's feedback and there was nothing negative. I bought it there and then because I thought it was a good deal."

Formerly OBese87.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 23:01
Quote: "edit: where is striked text tag gone?!"

Here.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2013 00:29 Edited at: 12th Dec 2013 00:31
Quote: "Here. "

Ooh, and befitting your name that is some sort of confusing recursion paradox!

Is it? You are demonstrating the ability to cross out a word but using it to strike out the word that says this is the way to do it.

Formerly OBese87.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " not so clever funny people that waiting near Apple Store to buy new iPhone."

The iPhone is a nice phone...

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2013 18:05
@Indicium
...mmm okay.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 13th Dec 2013 02:35
@mr Handy:

People aren't stupid for just wanting an iPhone. I want an iPhone. Are you going to call me un-clever now, too?

Make your pledge today!
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2013 05:32
He isnt calling the people who own it unclever. The people that sit outside to buy the brand new iphone when they just got there new one 3 months ago are unclever. Usually apples new "iphones" are small features you wont notice when upgrading from the previous one. Maybe a slight screen size difference but that isnt even worth the money.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2013 07:40
Unclever is a word now? If so I must be unclever too! :-p

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2013 10:23 Edited at: 13th Dec 2013 10:26
Universe? No such word. Iverse! United Nations? UN? Pfff, it just can't exist. Unplug me, baby! Barkeeper, one more shot please.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2013 02:56
Quote: "Unclever is a word now? If so I must be unclever too! :-p"

Since when wasn't it?
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2013 08:21 Edited at: 14th Dec 2013 08:22
Since forever. You can't just add a prefix or suffix to any word to suit the meaning you want, just because you don't know the actual way to say it. That's unpossible!!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2013 18:37
It's double plus ungood.

Formerly OBese87.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 04:52
Quote: "No offence, but that guy reminds me of those not so clever funny people that waiting near Apple Store to buy new iPhone."

I bought my 4S online sunday night, it arrived tuesday. There were no Apple stores on post, but even if there were I'd still get it online. I'll just wait the extra 2 days and save myself the hassle of standing in line next to morons and fanboys.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 08:42
Quote: "I bought my 4S online sunday night, it arrived tuesday. There were no Apple stores on post, but even if there were I'd still get it online. I'll just wait the extra 2 days and save myself the hassle of standing in line next to morons and fanboys."

That is healthy decision.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 08:57
I have a 4S, nice little phone, even though I use it as an iPod - really nice screen and fairly solid.

I guess that's the thing about the Apple fanboys who buy every iteration of iPhone... it means we can snap up their old phones for a fraction of the price

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 06:23:05
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 06:23:05